Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How are things looking for Larian?

Vlajdermen

Arcane
From what I've heard Dos2 has preformed well enough on Steam. It appearing on all these random goty lists might attract it even more attention, and I hope it does. So where do you think Larian will go from here? Will they top themselves with their next game or is it gonna be all downhill from here? Will they have to keep relying on kickstarter or will they become self-sufficient?

Either way I hope they take another shot at a Divinity 2-esque game. That game would've been fucking awesome if it was actually finished.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I think there is a possibility larian in past attempted to follow the action rpg route and experimented also with rts but the games today are known off are the original sin series that is a nice success for them.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From what I've heard Dos2 has preformed well enough on Steam. It appearing on all these random goty lists might attract it even more attention, and I hope it does. So where do you think Larian will go from here? Will they top themselves with their next game or is it gonna be all downhill from here? Will they have to keep relying on kickstarter or will they become self-sufficient?

Either way I hope they take another shot at a Divinity 2-esque game. That game would've been fucking awesome if it was actually finished.

In those waters thar be dragons.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
After beating all odds and breaking all records, Sven decided that he's had enough hardship in his life, lost his motivation, and proceeded to join the Dark Side. His Dos3 game, while not respected in some minor hardcore RPG circles, was heralded by journos as the best action game of its era, and at the very least it is a great gift for anybody's slightly retarded niece. The lootbox dlcs were a nice touch, and the subtle pay to win functions meant that everyone could be a winner.

Sometimes, just sometimes, an aura of inner sadness affect successful people like Sven. They look sneakily towards their aging PC, longing for the days and nights they spent playing Ultima, during a youth full of dreams and ideals. What has become of me? Did I turn into everything I used to hate? Such a thought crossed Sven's mind, but he had to let go quickly. After all, he had to finish up his expensive cigar, and book the tickets for his trip to Monaco.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I wonder if their secret project is based on the same formula (like Tyranny was to PoE) of if they try something different for their second IP.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Breaking out of the formulas that made them successful is one of the toughest challenges for indie and AA developers. Usually is for any artist working in any genre or medium.

Right now I think the public mindset in regard to Larian games is that they want to see how far this "P&P style multiplayer in a reactive role playing world" goes.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Larian has been "self-sufficient" since the success of DOS1. The DOS2 kickstarter was mainly for marketing, not for raising cash.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
After beating all odds and breaking all records, Sven decided that he's had enough hardship in his life, lost his motivation, and proceeded to join the Dark Side. His Dos3 game, while not respected in some minor hardcore RPG circles, was heralded by journos as the best action game of its era, and at the very least it is a great gift for anybody's slightly retarded niece. The lootbox dlcs were a nice touch, and the subtle pay to win functions meant that everyone could be a winner.

Sometimes, just sometimes, an aura of inner sadness affect successful people like Sven. They look sneakily towards their aging PC, longing for the days and nights they spent playing Ultima, during a youth full of dreams and ideals. What has become of me? Did I turn into everything I used to hate? Such a thought crossed Sven's mind, but he had to let go quickly. After all, he had to finish up his expensive cigar, and book the tickets for his trip to Monaco.

Oh, oh wow.

Yeah.

:0-13:

Shin

Cipher
Just give the world a well-written sci-fi RPG with a modified D:OS2 engine. That'd give them a clean slate in terms of world building and the mood of the setting. Not saying that they should go full grimdark, but I'd prefer to see a more serious, less whimsical kind of game next. They'd need some nifty engine modifications in terms of map destructibility, line of sight and cover to make some kind of nu Jagged Alliance sci-fi hybrid.

Just give the world a well-written sci-fi RPG with a modified D:OS2 engine. That'd give them a clean slate in terms of world building and the mood of the setting. Not saying that they should go full grimdark, but I'd prefer to see a more serious, less whimsical kind of game next. They'd need some nifty engine modifications in terms of map destructibility, line of sight and cover to make some kind of nu Jagged Alliance sci-fi hybrid.

That's where the smart money is.

Tigranes

Arcane

You want Larian writing + serious?

DOS2 was better, but that's like saying Skyrim had better writing than Oblivion.

In regards to whether they will be able to top the success of this game is completely up in the air at this point. In terms of self sufficiency however that depends on how they handle their finances, which will be continuously more difficult the more expensive and ambitious they become. I would not be surprised if they require more crowd funding support for at least some aspects of whatever they work on next.

Azarkon

Arcane

You want Larian writing + serious?

DOS2 was better, but that's like saying Skyrim had better writing than Oblivion.

I don't think their writing staff is any worse at putting words together into sentences than, say, Obsidian. There's also a particular European style to their writing that may even make it sound like ye olde days, compared to American English. The bigger issue with their writing is that they're constrained by tradition. The concept of the entire series has already been laid out by the earlier games. You can do a lot with it, still, but the logic of the world and its most significant players have already been set.

A new series can help the writing team break away from all that and go in a different direction.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I would like to see some dark and original game were you have to learn a new alien language to read all the books and scraps of paper......you know like Beyond Divinity.

Tigranes

Arcane
I do think a new IP will help them lose the baggage of this weird and spontaneously grown mess of the divinity setting, yes, but I wouldn't really have high hopes for 'darker' stuff from them.

It's not even a priority for me - I just want more Ultima inspired interactivity.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No hope here mate,only "like" ;) . Far too much jade in my soul.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom