Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How did Age of Decadence turn out?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It's literally been a huge amount of time since I even remembered it was a thing. I see it on Steam, so it came out. Was it what it was supposed to be?
edit- i looked again, it's an Early Access game. Are you shitting me
I literally cannot remember the number of years that have passed since I learned VD was making it. I would have to do research to find out when he announced it. It's so far in the past

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I seem to recall declaring it vapourware way back when he announced the change from 2d to 3d game engine. Feeling pretty :smug: right now.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a solid 10/10 even in its unfinished state. Probably the best RPG ever released, definitely better than any RPG released in recent memory.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Is the combat still a rng reloadfest?

It never was really (well maybe in very early builds, I didn't play those) in my experience, you'll consistently (say 7-8 out of 10 times) prevail in battles that are supposed to be winnable for your char build, current level, gear etc. as long you have a decent understanding of game's combat mechanics (which aren't that complex, just don't expect AI to be idiotic as it usually is in RPG or your main char to be Mr. Awesome right from the start) while usually no amount of savescumming will get you through battles that are out of your league.

The only tricky part I've found about AoD is playing a hybrid character from the start (say Praetorian or a Thief), playing a fighter or a diplomat is pretty straightforwad (note that it's not that hard to branch out with those chars into other skills later, it's just the beginning that is much easier with specialization) unless you don't do something stupid like attack the military outpost with a char build that sucks at fighting.

Terpsichore

Arcane
I only played the first combat beta and in some fights it was all about reloading until you manage to score a critical hit on the tough guy's head with your 2hander, instantly killing him before his adds swarm and kill you in a turn or two.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Grimwah vs tAoD, which will be finished first and why?

Also, thread needs a [Vapourware] tag.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
It was and still is if your character's skills are low and fishing for a lucky roll is the only chance to win a fight.

I don't play like that (savescumming), if my character's combat skills are too low for a particular fight that means he has no business getting into it and should look for alternate solutions (which thankfully your game has plenty of) or do other fights to get stronger.

If you know what you're doing, you will beat any fight 7-8 times out of 10.

Definitely true in my experience.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
How did Age of Decadence turn out?
Might have the dates wrong, it's hard to find out since there isn't a timeline or anything available.
s86ZKvh.jpg

Severian Silk

I only played the first combat beta and in some fights it was all about reloading until you manage to score a critical hit on the tough guy's head with your 2hander, instantly killing him before his adds swarm and kill you in a turn or two.
I specialized in hammers and never was able to beat the merchant ambush scene.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not really,

which scene is that? you mean at the end of the merchant storyline in terron if you made certain decisions regarding the thieves guild? I don't think that fight is supposed to be winnable.

I keep dying at the tutorial. And then the teacher adds insult to my massive injury, telling me to get up as my opened skull bleeds onto the soil.

EDIT: oof! Just noticed that I never assigned skill points. Think of me as the IGN user base.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

Not really,

which scene is that? you mean at the end of the merchant storyline in terron if you made certain decisions regarding the thieves guild? I don't think that fight is supposed to be winnable.
I along with a few crossbowmen were supposed to ambush a merchant, but it turned out he had hired guards to protect him, making the task more difficult.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom