Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How did Age of Decadence turn out?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Age of Decadence preview in the biggest Polish gaming magazine:

The reviewer calls Teron Taron but the point is that he praises the game.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Have you reconsidered crowdfunding? A KickStarter at the right moment might draw the attention needed for a physical collectors edition.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ok, so they say that you're gonna love AoD if you "mourn the fact that Fallout franchise went back to Bethesda from Obsidian" and "construct altars for FNV". Not a word about the original Fallout :D

Also, "creating characters focused on fighting, as you would in IwD and ToEE, is unwise". Other than that, they praise the game highly and even list all the ways of getting to see Antidas. In the "pros" section they enumerate nonlinearity, real roleplaying and hard but optional fights, while on the "cons" side they enlist the modest graphics and the fact that the game is dangerously close to an interactive text-based game (I guess CYOA).

Edit: oh and this comment on the ordu screenshot cracks me up: "Action points, turns, attack descriptions -- throw in hexes instead of squares and we've got ourselves a full blown classic".

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I feel like the IG storyline needs one more early mission in Teron. Some minor thing between the raiding of the merchants, and the attacking of the tower. I say this because the player is trapped into leaving Teron and not doing the rest of the quests once he signs up to the IG; when you take that tower mission, you are done. Maybe a "patrol the market and kill a thief" sort of thing would work, and then the centurion would say "okay good job but our next mission is going to shake things up, prepare to dedicate yourself to the guard and go onto better things" so that the player has a warning that he needs to complete what's left in Teron.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I agree that we need to communicate it to the player. Not sure about an extra quest as we're already behind, but we'll add a proper warning in one of the future updates (overloaded now).

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In a new interview for Riot Pixels (in Russian) Vince told that a talker playthrough can be completed in 4-5 hours and fighter in 15-25, but you can see just about 30% of content in a single playthrough.

I really admire this kind of approach, and that's the thing I'm waiting from the new Torment - a more tight storyline, but lots of variations on playthroughs. I was so tired of DOS after 70+ hours. And I'm already a bit tired of W2, though I'm only in Damonta after 32 hrs. I like both games, but they seem just too long and I'll think twice about replaying. They are like screaming "Look, look at me, you can spend 100 hours playing me, isn't it cool?". But it isn't cool, because both games have a lot of generic encounters, which can be cut in half and games won't suffer from it.

In this case VD is honestly saying that the game is not lengthy, but every dialog and every battle matters.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In a new interview for Riot Pixels (in Russian) Vince told that a talker playthrough can be completed in 4-5 hours and fighter in 15-25, but you can see just about 30% of content in a single playthrough.

I really admire this kind of approach, and that's the thing I'm waiting from the new Torment - a more tight storyline, but lots of variations on playthroughs. I was so tired of DOS after 70+ hours. And I'm already a bit tired of W2, though I'm only in Damonta after 32 hrs. I like both games, but they seem just too long and I'll think twice about replaying. They are like screaming "Look, look at me, you can spend 100 hours playing me, isn't it cool?". But it isn't cool, because both games have a lot of generic encounters, which can be cut in half and games won't suffer from it.

In this case VD is honestly saying that the game is not lengthy, but every dialog and every battle matters.

Note that in the past you would have played games like WL2 and D:OS over a 1-2 year period.

In what universe?

... in the universe where the Wizardry series existed and most players were family men with full time employment. When games cost $80 and it was a novelty hobby with an underdeveloped pre-owned market.

Last edited:
So in a pretend universe where that resulted in 1-2 years to play a game. Gotcha. Dem good ole days amirite

"shrug" It took a friend of mine eight years to "beat" Morrowind. Getting to the end was not the point in games like Wizardry. In old school game design, the ending was a technicality incidental to the main thrust of the experience.

Saduj

Arcane
My experience playing games in the 80's is similar to what Morality Games described. Everything took longer to do. Just booting up a game on a system like a Commodore 64 took a while. In game load times were no treat either. Interfaces were clunky, the games were more difficult (less intuitive) and there were no online walkthroughs. Saving was less frequent because it took so long so dying and losing progress was very common. And families only had one computer. In my house I had to compete with 2 brothers and my father for computer time. I had a huge collection of bootleg action games that I would trade with other kids, but big multi-disk RPGs were not part of that scene. We ended up buying a big RPG every year or so and we played the shit out of it for years afterward. I never played games like Temple of Apshai, the Ultimas, Bard's Tale, the original Wasteland, etc with any intention of beating them.

almondblight

Arcane
Yeah, I remember that was the case with the old NES games as well. A lot of people would be playing the same game for years with no real thought that they'd beat them. When they'd go to play games, it wasn't unusual for them to pop in some game they got 4-5 years ago that they only ever got 1/3 of the way through, play it until they died, and call it a night. There wasn't this "if you play the game, then you will beat it" mentality that there is today.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Note that in the past you would have played games like WL2 and D:OS over a 1-2 year period.
I'd say I'd have played 2-3 games a year, but this rule was broken by Steam sales and stuff + I bought a PS3. Now I have tons of stuff to complete, especially keeping in mind the "RPG Renaissance". Anyway I'm trying to be as picky as possible about games, stopped buying stuff on sales, playing only RPGs etc. But still at the moment I want to complete W2 and start Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, but I know that there will also be Dead State, Twitcher3 and Bloodborne in the beginning of the next year (and it'll come sooner than appears) probably along with AoD.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
AoD is pretty damned good, but the game's camera and camera controls make NWN2's seem absolutely fantastic and luxurious by comparison.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That's absurd. It's leagues ahead of NWN2. Frankly 3D cameras usually get way worse than that.

zwanzig_zwoelf

That's absurd. It's leagues ahead of NWN2. Frankly 3D cameras usually get way worse than that.
Leagues ahead my ass.
NWN2 camera can be of little issue after some proper configuring. Can't say the same about AoD. I don't remember seeing any camera-related settings at all.

naossano

Cipher
I don't know how the final game will be, but the C&C design should definitely inspire the other develloppers that just pretend to do RPG in comparison.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The camera just takes some time to get used to. Once you figure out the controls, which are easy enough to master, you can zoom, rotate and adjust the view up and down as you see fit.

I have been experimenting with thief characters and some high charisma combat builds lately, inspired mainly by the pro-players over at the Iron Tower forum. My sleazy 4 10 4 6 7 9 Praetor-turned-Kingslayer was quite successful, but 7 intelligence meant I couldn't get the good outcomes for some dungeons. Still, I soldiered on with the arch in mind, got the eye (really loved this part), ghost hand and had a real blast (also equipped the ring - Oscardemon's reaction was priceless). Unfortunately, I thought sneaky old Ramirez still sold power tubes. Turns out he didn't, so after a glorious journey of grinding, my poor chap ended up one fricking tube short. Guess I will go for the Aurelian tube on my next playthrough - the sewers would be nice, but it would be hard to pull off a chosen one character without the killer dexterity. Since this build can't do the Abyss, the tubes should be just enough to let me use the hand.

Many bugs are still left, of course, particularly in the IG questline (game bugs out after successful peaceful resolution to trial, placeholder graphics in Ordu camp, can go back to Pass and loop questline after you leave Caer-Tor, returning to Caer-Tor places you in the middle of nowhere) but I think all of them have been reported by now and are in the no doubt extensive to-do-list. Overall the game has come very far, it just keeps improving and I wish it could be delayed another year so that more content and finetuning can be added in. With some more NPCs, fleshed out dialogue and perhaps a few more quests here and there (grifting and thieving in particular could use some boosts in Maadoran) the game will easy be right up there with Planetescape: Tournament. Heck, in many ways, it already surpasses it.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Many bugs are still left, of course, particularly in the IG questline (game bugs out after successful peaceful resolution to trial, placeholder graphics in Ordu camp, can go back to Pass and loop questline after you leave Caer-Tor, returning to Caer-Tor places you in the middle of nowhere) but I think all of them have been reported by now and are in the no doubt extensive to-do-list. Overall the game has come very far, it just keeps improving and I wish it could be delayed another year so that more content and finetuning can be added in. With some more NPCs, fleshed out dialogue and perhaps a few more quests here and there (grifting and thieving in particular could use some boosts in Maadoran) the game will easy be right up there with Planetescape: Tournament. Heck, in many ways, it already surpasses it.

We are aware of all the bugs, but we are focusing on the new content. Once everything is in place, we'll turn our attention to bug fixing :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom