Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do YOU pirate?

You were doing great until that part. Nobody gives a fuck if you are a pisspoor hobo, sell your kidney or go suck dicks to make some quick bucks, whatever. "Sane prices" my ass, are you fucking commie?
Game prices are ridiculous here
I've seen shit like 2/8 of minimum wage.

Some games I would buy if I had money. Not for ridiculous prices tho

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Tytus

Arcane
I pirate because I want. I want because I can.

NOBODY WILL EVER STOP ME!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!

I'm not going to spend a dime on games until we have some sane prices. Closest I see are prices for old games on GoG.
That's not happening until the dollar lowers down.

Buying a game for 15-30 reais is ok, buying a game for 200 reais is bullshit and I will not do it. Ever.

'sides, for now I have no money. Later through, I might buy games I like, but only good games with good prices. I'm not going to toss real money on popamole.

Gib games plox, or I report you HueHue. BrBrBrBr

Tytus

Arcane
You were doing great until that part. Nobody gives a fuck if you are a pisspoor hobo, sell your kidney or go suck dicks to make some quick bucks, whatever. "Sane prices" my ass, are you fucking commie?
Game prices are ridiculous here
I've seen shit like 2/8 of minimum wage.

Some games I would buy if I had money. Not for ridiculous prices tho

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Welcome to a pisspoor shit country. We had moderately cheap games, before they decided to cancel EU2 trade zone that had lower prices. Now a game can cost as high as 240 PLN (and more when it comes to console games) which is 1/7 of the minimum wage. It is ridiculous.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Games in Argentina cost around 1/8 of the minimum wage, which wouldn't be THAT bad if it wasn't because eveyrthing is expensive as fuck in this fucking country.

Thank you, Macri.

18118877_1525030664194856_7373474527471627115_n.jpg

Aenra

By now? I pirate; as in always.

Have zero faith in any contemporary studio or dev doing anything of worth (to me O.K., talking just me here); including those i've backed repeatedly and now regretting, lol
Won't even mention today's "Indies".. a disappointment just waiting to happen.

If, and that's a big If, i'm interested in something? I pirate it, about 6 months to a year later, have a look. My personal kind of demo if you will. If i like it, i will keep on playing the pirated version, just make a two minute stop to actually purchase it from someplace.
Not a stingy person, if you worked for something good, you deserve to be rewarded/compensated. If.
(Sometimes, i'll even give you more than you asked of me. Vault Dweller's games? Got multiple copies. Earned each and every cent. Likewise with Larian's games).

- There are people that will go all ethics on me, fuck them. Used to be demo in the CD, in a magazine, could look, decide, purchase last. We have "conveniently" let that slide, moved on to a pre-purchase era (fucking millennials..). Not my fault, not my doing, definitely not my way.
- What if the studio does have a demo? Same thing ultimately.. i'm demoing anyway. Except:
i) i have a proper demo, i know nothing's locked out or conveniently put aside.
ii) nothing to reisntall/reconfigure/add to if i actually turn our to like what i'm playing.
- What if there's a game you're interested in trying out but has neither demo nor a latest version torrent available? (say GTA 5)? I just don't play it, ever. Real simple.

Either, way torrents win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Max Stats

Liturgist
I "pirated" (it's copyright infringement, not robbery at sea) pretty much everything last gen. Cuz I could. If some hacker would hurry up and make the PS4 properly hacked, I'd be doing it now too. Until then, I buy everything on sale. Only game I've paid full retail for since the Gamecube times was Twilight Princess HD and that came with a fuckin Amiibo (lol) worth about $15 on its own.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The only stuff I pirated in recent memory were games for the DS - all fit onto one cartridge. The only other thing I "pirate" are TV series which I stream online - no commercials and I watch when I want to.:obviously:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Is Trump grabbing that guy's ass?

It's a 'shop, but yeah, that's the idea: that our president is handing our butt to Trump, because he is a fucking faggot and a disgrace to our country. If by "making it back to the international stage" he means "allow USA to fuck us in the butt", then he is certainly getting that done.

Eameo is a Facebook page that makes pictures out of Argentine news and current situations, using Photoshop for comedic effect.

18156230_1524991454198777_5181538966086222441_o.jpg

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Pretty much the only pirating I've done has been burning some games on a CD ages ago, and even then I preferred to buy the game myself if it was actually really good and something I'd probably want to play more than once. I think the only game I've torrented was System Shock 2 around the time when it was pretty much impossible to find a copy, although I did buy it as soon as it became available again. Nowadays I don't pirate at all, because there's so much good (old) stuff available dirt cheap. If a game isn't worth buying at those prices, it's probably not worth playing in the first place.

One reason I might consider pirating is that no one bothers to release demos anymore and not a single word in mainstream game reviews can be trusted, but in those cases it's usually the best to consult the Codex and then avoid the game after finding out that it was shit to begin with.

"Try before you buy" most of the time, only supporting Incline™ titles upfront and some MP-oriented games (because setting up pirated versions MP is either a huge pain in the ass or straight up impossible).

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Those days most games are not even worth pirating when you can see the cool parts on Jewtube anyway. Those few Commissar do likes he tries before buying too... Have no moral qualms to jew on developers who cut the game content into 1000 DLC like Paradox does and don't bother to release demos of their game. I also pirate movies and TV series cause they are again mostly shit not worth paying and made by Jews and so buying them helps to fund :decline:. On the other hand don't hesitate to buy even full prizes for games I spend hundred hours of playing like Iron Studio RPGs, Slitherine and Shrapnels turn based war games even if they are full prized... :obviously: Payed for Twichers, FNV, and bunch of Shity Kicstarters too though. :negative: Could drunk lot of Vodka for those Shekels now I realize; would be healthier too:despair:.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Pirate 100% of my games.
Feel no remorse about it whatsoever.
and neither does the hacker whose botnet you are a part of.

I used to pirate a lot of my games as well, but slow connection speeds and virus infested cracks (yes, even from "reliable" releasers on private trackers) finally killed it for me.

Ironic that after all of the millions game devs invested in copy protection for their games, steam etc. The best copy protection is a 60gb install and the untrustworthiness of pirates themselves.

mbv123

Arbiter
Pirate 100% of my games.
Feel no remorse about it whatsoever.
and neither does the hacker whose botnet you are a part of.

I used to pirate a lot of my games as well, but slow connection speeds and virus infested cracks (yes, even from "reliable" releasers on private trackers) finally killed it for me.

Ironic that after all of the millions game devs invested in copy protection for their games, steam etc. The best copy protection is a 60gb install and the untrustworthiness of pirates themselves.
Don't download from shit trackers. It's as simple as that. Of course that russian repack will fuck your pc up.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Don't download from shit trackers.
I've downloaded from the best trackers. Invite only etc. Doesn't matter.

Does it occur to you that people rarely do something for nothing? Ask yourself what uploaders are getting out of it. Ask yourself if 100% of uploaders on whatever tracker are doing it for altruism.

And virus scanners aren't enough. I've had games for years before a virus finally got detected. (And yes, I scanned with Virus Total and other tools.)
Of course that russian repack will fuck your pc up.
As if you would know who is uploading a game or where it's from.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Why pirate? Why play the very latest games when my backlog is so large and growing larger? By the time the games are fixed, patched etc, they've gone on sale.

If there's a game I'm excited about enough to want to play at launch, then it's probably a game that is worth paying the launch price and supporting the developers.
That is one of the most interesting things about pirates, even if they wanted to they just can't finish even 1/3 of their backlog.
People who buy original or used games can just easily buy for cheap and can always sell the games later,while pirates can't.
I mean if you see let's say lords of the fallen for 3 bucks steam sale,you just buy it and let it sit in the backlog.(no worries about updates and stuff)
As for pirates,they need a lot of hdd space(which is cheap),and games are getting bigger.
And you need to deal with viruses and functioning cracks.
So you get in a situation where pirates have large amounts of hdd space filled with games they will never play or have played for a couple of minutes and no way to filter quality games from shit games.(since most of them have the collect all mentality)
My neighbor has at least 2 external hdd filled with 4 tb pirated games,he hasn't even played 5 games.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Why pirate? Why play the very latest games when my backlog is so large and growing larger? By the time the games are fixed, patched etc, they've gone on sale.

If there's a game I'm excited about enough to want to play at launch, then it's probably a game that is worth paying the launch price and supporting the developers.
That is one of the most interesting things about pirates, even if they wanted to they just can't finish even 1/3 of their backlog.
People who buy original or used games can just easily buy for cheap and can always sell the games later,while pirates can't.
I mean if you see let's say lords of the fallen for 3 bucks steam sale,you just buy it and let it sit in the backlog.
As for pirates,they need a lot of hdd space(which is cheap),and games are getting bigger.
So you get in a situation where pirates have large amounts of hdd space filled with games they will never play or have played for a couple of minutes and no way to filter quality games from shit games.(since most of them have the collect all mentality)
My neighbor has at least 2 external hdd filled with 4 tb pirated games,he hasn't even played 5 games.

This is true up to a point. Yes, it's much easier to start playing games when you pay for them: it is a "tough" decision to make and once you do, it would be stupid to say "no, I don't want to play it". Else you would have saved up the money.

Then again, you don't need to pirate 40 games at once. I have 8 on my computer at the moment, and anything more would be pointless, even though I have spare space.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

I mean if you see let's say lords of the fallen for 3 bucks steam sale,you just buy it and let it sit in the backlog.(no worries about updates and stuff)

So you're arguing that it's better to spend thousands on those games that you'll "never play", just let them sit there gathering figurative dust? No thanks. Piracy makes more sense in this situation, if you're the type of person to accumulate a large backlog. Personally, I don't backlog at all, that starts to make gaming feel like a chore. I play what I want when I feel the urge to play, if I get bored with a game I move on immediately.

flyingjohn

Arcane

So you're arguing that it's better to spend thousands on those games that you'll "never play", just let them sit there gathering figurative dust? No thanks. Piracy makes more sense in this situation, if you're the type of person to accumulate a large backlog. Personally, I don't backlog at all, that starts to make gaming feel like a chore. I play what I want when I feel the urge to play, if I get bored with a game I move on immediately.
No,all i wanted to say is that by having easy access to a lot of games both steam users and pirates now have the same problem:
A lot of games,yet so little time.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
A lot of games,yet so little time.

So true.

I think the best argument against piracy is probably the argument from morality. But that's just me playing devil's advocate. You wouldn't steal a bottle of wine from a grocery store, why would you steal a game? I think those kinds of questions immediately start triggering some cognitive dissonance in most pirates, including myself. Arguments can be made that it's just code and doesn't really exist in the physical world (unlike wine), but if you want to get metaphysically then a bottle of wine is just code too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom