Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do YOU pirate?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So in other words, the infographic was effectively unsourced since the only important thing on it (money 'lost' in the music industry) was not only from an incredibly biased and untrustworthy source, it was a source that has since been removed. :lol: I wasn't even go to reply when I saw the quote alert but that is too damn funny.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
This is the most important source for the information, which explains how they gathered all the information and methodology. You're reaching so hard right now it's obvious you're still reeling from the fact that you're wrong and just don't want to admit it. Multiple paragraphs later and you've yet to dispel the "myth" that a digital game costs money and pirating it instead of getting it through legal avenues is depriving the seller of their legally entitled money. Keep pretending money doesn't exist or sales are simply "metaphorical" all you want, but I suspect you probably won't be very successful in life.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
To be perfectly honest, I pirate way less now, than I used to.

This has to do with multiple things, like, I've got a good high income, so I have ridiculous amounts of excess cash each month to throw away at shit.

Prices have dropped also, and it's ridiculously easy to get cheap games now, even cd-keys legit. So new games cost me at most like 30-40 bucks, which is asswipe money I find on the street.

Also, I've grown older, and I've learned to respect the artist and the work done. If somebody made something really great, they really deserve the money. I wish to contribute to perhaps even more stuff from them.

And lastly, just fucking lazyness, I can't be bothered with all the CRACKz0RZ anymore, and waiting for new patches to get crack and all that stupid shit. No. Just buy, download, play. Easy peasy.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The whole purpose for me was to get access to games I couldn't find in stores, but digital distribution solved most of that. Also, games are insanely cheap and numerous these days. You can get $1-5 bundles that have legitimately great games in them, it's nuts.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Only titles not available in the stores (digital) because otherwise I would buy them. Not even on eBay. Titles that are not popular enough to bring attention on GOG or Steam or these guys who took System Shock portable and ask for money...
I don't get people pirating AAA games, too boring and not worth my time and transfer.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I try to buy cheaper games or when on sale if I can. I also use KS/Fig to get access to games cheaper. If none of those options work and I still feel like playing the game I would download it then. I feel bad spending 20$ for a game, 60$ I would never spend.
If I had extra cash to spend I would probably never pirate again. Unfortunately real life does not follow our wants.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
the "myth" that a digital game costs money and pirating it instead of getting it through legal avenues is depriving the seller of their legally entitled money.

You have to consider elasticity of demand. Some people will pay $60 for a computer game, some won't. The price of a pirated item is generally much less than the original one. If you magically end piracy tomorrow, not all pirates will buy the game at the original price: demand is not constant across all price levels. That means you can't make the jump from piracy to lost sales. Maybe some piracy cannibalizes possible sales at the original prices, but most piracy is probably demand for cheap goods, demand that effectively will evaporate once you raise prices.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Sometimes if I'm curious about a game but specifically don't want to support the developer/publisher I'll pirate. Otherwise I just buy games when I want to play them cause I'm not a poorfag.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
At this point I pirate out of habit. I have 1 TB of games yet to be installed, most of them I don't even know what the gameplay looks like.

Mostly through public torrent site, but some smaller harder to find games could be found on some russian or local website.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And lastly, just fucking lazyness, I can't be bothered with all the CRACKz0RZ anymore, and waiting for new patches to get crack and all that stupid shit. No. Just buy, download, play. Easy peasy.

This and the income reason. Same here.

Honestly that's why piracy probably isn't that big of a deal. Most people who could afford a game buy it. And most of who pirate it couldn't afford it anyway. Lost sales is definitely a thing but again - not THAT a big deal. Plus trying to fight it would prolly be even more expensive.

That said I do support Denuvo. It diminishes the lost sales problem even further coz the first few months are the most critical sales-wise. Afterwards the game is usually -50% off anyway plus installing all the crackorz is fucking annoying AND it locks you out of multiplayer, if a game has one, so who cares.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I'm a poorfag so I pirate the few games i'm interested in nowadays, if it's shit I uninstall, if it's good and replayable, I finish it and buy it on sale later. It's nice to easily get the latest patched versions from steam/gog or whatever.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Uh, i only buy physical copy and/or complete edition no more patch/dlc bullshit ready to go offline anytime.

Fuck steam, 50€ for a "rent", lol.

Only GOG do digital right.

Axe Father

Savant
I had a dream a year ago where I was standing in the streets of my home town, talking to a buddy from school I haven't seen at all since then, when a massive riot breaks out and I somehow immediately intuit that society is in complete freefall and I jet home leaving my friend to eat shit. Except I didn't give a single sliver of a fuck about the ruination of human civilization, I was struck with terror at the thought that the internet was going to go down and I would never get to experience tonnes of old games I never got to play. So I rush into my old house, the interior of which is now a wholesale warehouse with ten foot tall shelves stacked with classic big box PC games, and start throwing them into a comically over-sized burlap sack. I'm pretty sure the dream stemmed from a two minute convo I had with a friend about how I never played Earthsiege 2.

When I woke up that day, I started pirating THE EVERLOVING SHIT out of old PC games and I CAN'T FUCKING STOP. This is not a joke. Send medical aid. I'm torrenting and downloading like I've got a gun to my head, good games and bad. I'm burning cds and putting them in binders. I'm backing up disk images to multiple hard drives.

:despair:

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I don't.

Last time I pirated a video game must've been about ten years ago or so. I guess I could take the easy way out and say "I have a decent job now", but reality is probably more along the lines of just skipping more and more derivative/uninspired games, or getting them when they go on inevitable discounts. Seeing as I barely play any multiplayer games there's practically no incentive to buy on Day 1 and I can wait for that sweet 75% off if I have to. Games aren't going anywhere.

press is 100% unreliable, other people are 99% unreliable because they are assholes, retards or shills, the only reliable way to see the true value of a game is trying it firsthand and i'm not going to give a huge amount of money just to end with shit in my hands, as all those fuckers using the most draconian copy protection schemes want me to.
so fuck them, they got too greedy, they get nothing from me.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
With µtorrent
You should get on with the times and move out of that adware infested shitbloatware. Qbittorrent is where it's at.

What adware? I haven't updated it in years :M

Here.
It was awhile ago, but I lost trust in uTorrent after that scandal. Basically they were installing small bitcoin mining software along with thetorrent client. Not sure if they're still doing it.

I use Deluge for Windows and Transmission for Linux. I think Transmission is amazing, I'd use it on everything if I could.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom