Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do you play the low resolution games of old?

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I only have a 17' CRT monitor, so yeah, I play all games on this "prestigious" setup. :criesalittle:

It would be nice to have a 15' one though, so I could finally play Darklands fullscreen, with readable font.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Original scaling through my graphics card settings. I couldnt give less of a fuck about the black bars on the sides. Probably because I came up playing stuff like WoW with 15 fps. Graphics are completely seconday to me as long as they are not stretched too badly.
Same here. The black bar on the sides never bothered me, and I choose this option if possible.

With HQx or xBRZ
What are those?

A user named cat

Windowed Dosbox + Normal3x or Normal3x. It's a shame there's no Normal4x filter, though.
5yHXr2O.jpg

deuxhero

Arcane
Windowed, because copy protection among other things. Maybe a simple "each pixel is now 4/16/64 pixels" upscale.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I have maybe five or six 15" and 17" CRT displays. They should last for some time.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'd like to know how you guys and girls play the oldschool games regarding the monitors and resolutions. Some games can be hacked and modded, to make them look good on a high resolution widescreen display, but there are tons of others (like Might and Magic games or most old 2D games) which can't.

Do you have an old CRT monitor and play on that? Or you play them on an LCD monitor, full screen, and bear with the shitty, upscaled and blurry image. Or you play it on an LCD, but in windowed mode bearing with a small window in the centre of the screen?

I don't play old outdated technologically limited games. :kfc:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Windowed. Seriously, I laugh at all the faggots who rage when these older games don't have X resolution. No shit there's no high resolution -- game was made in the 80's. It is what it is, you don't play these games for the graphics.

Severian Silk

I play in fullscreen, scaled by whatever feels best. Sometimes scaled smaller than my 1080p monitor. If 16:9 is possible, I do that too. For instance, I played BG1 at 1366x768. I haven't played a DOS-era game since I bought my new monitor, though.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Give me integer scaling or give me death.

(1200p LCD is the only modern :monocle: option because it's the lowest res that allows pixel-perfect stretching from 8:5 (320x200) to 4:3 (320x240))

Windowed Dosbox + Normal3x or Normal3x. It's a shame there's no Normal4x filter, though.

Can't you just set the window res to 1280x960?

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Actually I'm also thinking of getting an old CRT next to my LCD, so I could play all my classic games on it.

Definitely worth it! I bought a cheapass used 17" IBM monitor for ~20USD shipped, and running games in original res with no scaling looks wonderful on it. Instead of a blocky awful mess, Ultima 7 looks just as beautiful as I remember it from back in the day.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't have trouble with 2d games, it's the games with 3d engines that suck. I don't bother playing with ancient 3d games.

A 2d game like Tongue of the Fat Man is a beautiful treasure no matter how you look at it

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't have trouble with 2d games, it's the games with 3d engines that suck. I don't bother playing with ancient 3d games.

A 2d game like Tongue of the Fat Man is a beautiful treasure no matter how you look at it
I don't have problem with 3D engines, because most of them has some high resolution, widescreen mod.

Alchemist

Arcane
Give me integer scaling or give me death.

(1200p LCD is the only modern :monocle: option because it's the lowest res that allows pixel-perfect stretching from 8:5 (320x200) to 4:3 (320x240))
I hadn't thought about this before but that gives me a good reason to hold on to my aging 1920 x 1200 LCD monitor as long as I can!

I have an old CRT 17" that I played some games like Planescape, arx fatalis, and the wizardry games. This was 2010 by the way. It wasn't by choice. All I had was an old compaq with a nvidia voodoo card. Arx ran like shit some places. I didn't mind the monitor. Everything worked as it should. I have a 17" laptop that I play all my games on now. I'll upscale a dosbox game but no filter. No need to mess with that shit. MoO still looks good to this day.

wrEvtmd.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom