Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How have your tastes changed?

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
judge for yourself...

Thanks for the videos. Sadly, they didn't change my mind. Royal Tomb puzzle looks insane, also I see the game lacks mouse control and map is insane. Paper one my be more friendly but I hate art and overall style for some reason.

V_K

Arcane
Try Lords of Xulima. It has isometric exploration, but don't let it fool you, for all intents and puproses it's an M&M/Wiz-style game. Personally I found it a lot better than MMX.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Try Lords of Xulima. It has isometric exploration, but don't let it fool you, for all intents and puproses it's an M&M/Wiz-style game. Personally I found it a lot better than MMX.

Already had and tried twice, both times dropping shortly after the Act 1. First time I thought I screwed up the party, second time used default one and it turned out not so good anyway (I think daggers are poor man's swords) and became bored and frustrated.

Fargus

Arcane
After 18 years...

1. I pay a lot of attention to story and in-game world. Much more than i did before. And expect better attention to it from devs. Boring and lazy writing is a major boner killer.
2. Have a distinct vision of what i like in RPG and at least top 10 of favorite RPGs. Helps a lot to avoid shitty indie games and jewstarter crap.
3. I expect characters and dialogue to be on decent level. Bioware cliche archetypes are shit and dialogue wheel is worst kind of garbage.
4. Buncha combats and dungeon crawling with little to no story is just shit and lazy. It's not enough for me. I used to like combat heavy rpgs like Icewind Dale before. Tactical games with rpg elements are fine though. Like Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance, Battle brothers.
5. I dont consider hack'n'slash games like Diablo as RPGs anymore, but they are good to waste some time. Used to like them before, now i only play them when multitasking or have nothing better to do.
6. Still don't like playing as pre-defined character or a woman.
7. Sick and tired of epic stories about saving the world. I hate when every character is sucking your dick from day 1 like in bioware games. "Oh you're the last hope of humanity! You're natural born leader. Only you can save us!"
8. Tired of SJW tendencies and tamed, political correct content.
9. Not everything should be turn-based. Dont have any problem with voice acting in RPG, unless it's voiced protagonist.
10. Still woudn't touch jrpgs with a 10 foot tentacle.

Last edited:
Worth remembering that when the Baldurs Gate games came out, they were considered to be incredibly, stupendously, large games in terms of 'time required to complete all content, even if you already know the mechanics'. Same for Betrayal at Krondor. 80 hour crpgs were not the norm. Don't know about the Realms of Arkania games as I didn't play them at the time, but I imagine they were similarly exceptional.

Most of the old-school 80s and early-mid 90s crpgs had far shorter game-time in terms of content. They occupied far more than 80 hours because most of time was spent learning the game. Home computer games, even crpgs, were still heavily influenced by the arcade presumption of 'finishing the game should be for the truly elite/dedicated'.

Especially in the 80s, mechanics were usually hidden, and the main challenge was to discover those mechanics in all their fine details. No internet, so even simple puzzles or the figuring out of obvious combat mechanics were often a dead-end that you'd bang your head against for weeks, (months or even years for truly difficult puzzles or obscure mechanics) until you realised what you'd overlooked, which was often not while playing the game, but after quitting in frustration for a while and thinking about why you couldn't progress. The first party you made was never the party you completed the game with, especially in early Wizardry and Bards' Tale (same would apply for 'first character you made' in early Ultima). Usually, you'd have gone through a fuckload of parties before you knew enough about the mechanics to make a proper run at 'beating the game' (yes, completing games was commonly referred to as 'beating them', as though the game is your enemy and its mechanics your enemy's secret intel).

Once you'd "learnt the game", you could complete the content very quickly, often in 10 hours or less. But those 10 hours came on the back of several hundred hours of party wipes and no-win states.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I'm actually far more into cRPG's now in adult life than I was as a younger guy/kid. I do want quality over quantity any day, and alot of cRPGs have bad quality. It takes alot more to impress me nowadays.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I used to be a Skyrimfag and opposed anything isometric or wireframe and first person party confused me. Then, I came to the Codex and was healed and purged my sins. Now I can barely play any Elder Scrolls game after Morrowind, and even then, I have a hard time continuing. And my top five all consist of blobbers or isometric games.

Hyperion

Arcane
I want to kill shit without being subjected to impossibly stupid and annoying characters at every turn. Preferably in a turn-based fashion with systems that don't treat me like a child.

Pablosdog

Prophet
In all seriousness I'd rather less long-winded dialogue, tactical combat akin to Jagged Alliance 2 and a unique setting.

Alkarl

Learned
Since I've been an adult? As a carry over from my youth, Jrpgs were my main staple. Looking back, I don't even know why. I remember being entranced by Baldurs Gate after it came out though, but I was never able to break into it, the learning curve was just too high for what my primitive weeaboo brain was capable of processing. My first true western was probably Morrowind, I had a few friends who played it, and in those early days of the internet, we used to swap stories and locations. I took a near 5 year break from gaming from about 19 to 24. When I returned, I tried to get back into gaming via Jrpgs, but something just wasn't sitting right with me. I found YouTube, and different opinions and points of view on gaming. I discovered lp's and critics and some of my favorites had several videos of older games. I got turned onto a lot of stuff this way; Darklands, Ultima, Wizardry, M&M, Kodp, Fallout, Arcanum. Eventually I found GoG, then Abandonia, and started lurking on the Codex, and I've pretty much been catching up on history since.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I consider myself a RPG gamer first and foremost since my favorite games tend to be RPGs but nowadays I have a very hard time trying out newer RPGs, I rather replay my old favorites than invest time and interest into something now, I actually enjoy the precision of my action more than the actual game and that gives me the challenge
I may try out a particularly interesting new game but if it doesnt hook me by the end of the tutorial or prologue into the backlog bin they go

For example trying out a new spear and magic wielding build in Dark Souls
Going for a shotgun heavy playstyle on Stalker Call of Prypyat
Getting nostalgia crushed and rolling a new char with no mods in Morrowind
Replaying ICO on a single afternoon

Honestly I attribute it to old age where I might not have the patience to invest my time into a lesser game or I am waiting for the inevitable round of patches to have the "definitive" versions of the game
For example after not liking Pillars' original release I tried the latest 3.0 version and I really enjoyed it enough to finally finish the damn thing after 3 previous tries
Hope I get hooked on Underrail too when the Expansion comes out since I didn't get too hyped about it either
I am currently waiting for the latest patched version of Age of Decadence to have the better combat model from Dungeon Rats

And lately I find grinding strangely relaxing, like farming items in Dark Souls for a couple of hours while listening to a podcast... not really moving the story or gameplay forward but preping my chars or trying out a new build or weapon
Almost a sandboxy feeling on stuff like that where emergent gameplay is somehow more interesting than the story as developers planned

Prime Junta

I've become an aestheticswhore. I'm unreasonably bothered by poor or inconsistent art direction, bad sound, and bad music. (I tolerate limitations of graphics engines pretty well though, except the roughly NWN1 generation of 3D engine which just looks irredeemably awful no matter what you do with it.) Conversely, I've become much more forgiving of faults in other areas if they get these things right.

I've become a lot less tolerant of Skinner box mechanics and grinding in general. I loved the hell out of Morrowind and played a looong way into Gothic 3 (with the patches) but couldn't manage them now because of the way they require/encourage grinding.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Just barely, if at all. I've expanded my preferences out of necessity, because you can only replay the IE games so many times before they become a drag.

rado907

Savant
My tastes haven't changed... Back in the day, I thought that Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Morrowind, Gothic, Desperados, Max Payne, Pro Evolution Soccer, Football Manager, Myth, and Caesar / Pharaoh are the shit, and now I still think that Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Morrowind, Gothic, Desperados, Max Payne, Pro Evolution Soccer, Football Manager, Myth, and Caesar / Pharaoh are the shit.

Main difference probably is that I got into DotA...

Deleted Member 16721

Why am I making these recommendations to you? Because of what you posted concerning how you have gained an appreciation regarding the inherent value of vancian casting, etc. Not many "get" this, they think it's something done out of tradition or what-have-you, but it is a more sophisticated form of gameplay in the context of RPGs than having mana pools or the like.

Same goes for resting restrictions, item scarcity, etc. Obviously Wiz-type games are very different from something like NWN, (first-person view, focus on dungeon/maze exploration), but the real joy comes from the depth of the classes, character advancement, party management, resource management, and making hard decisions as to whether when to rest, when to buy a new shield or instead buy 2 potions of poison removal, etc.

Word. There are a lot of forgotten elements like this from older RPGs. Hoping some new RPGs do some of this stuff. Lords of Xulima is a step in that direction.

Lostpleb

Learned
I genuinely stopped being a story fag.
This. As far as understanding how much storytelling can unfold within a game that is actually telling you very little goes, Dark Souls was a mind-opening experience for me.

Another problem is that RPG characters are rarely written with people in their twenties and up in mind. Once the struggles of the characters are no longer relatable, any good drama or tension goes out the window.

Sub-Human

Novice
Taste has become far more niche. I have barely played Codex's top recent RPGs; have no plans on touching the Witcher 3, Divinity: OS, Pillars or completing Torment, Underrail etc.

Just waiting for a Jagged Alliance game that's actually good and then I might as well abandon video games as a whole. Something tells me it's going to be a long wait...

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Slight tilt towards systems/gameplay instead of story/atmosphere. I still like a good story, but I cant stand playing story heavy games where the story isn't MCA tier quality, unless that game has good character building and combat. Then I can just skip the story and go straight to wrecking shit.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I just played Final Fantasy IX up until the part where Queen Brahne learns Garnet has run off.

I couldn't keep playing. The nostalgia was effective for the first 15 minutes, but it wore off quickly. I have become the person I never wanted to be.

:dealwithit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom