Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How long do you play a game before ditching it?

How long do you usually play a game before ditching it?

• Total voters

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It used to take me as long as it took to learn the mechanics to know if a game is shit or not, but these days with so many copy paste mechanics and little to no originality floating around, it's easy to determine if something suck s almost immediately.

Freddie

Savant
I don't find myself in any of those options. Some games I replay on harder difficulties, sometimes get back to hunt an achievement, some games I spent few hours, then less hours but then keep coming back, play 5 to 40 minutes a day or week, then forget them for a while again.

RPG's even they are timesinks are typically exception though, I put lot of hours in the Witcher 1, Shadowrun games, Wasterland 2, completed all those games. I like remembering what happened, where I was coming, where I was going to go etc. so I don't usually take long breaks, like weeks, but try to finish them pretty fast.

Edit: Sometimes I make a bad purchase or game style or something just isn't my cup of tea. I usually ditch them in 1 hour or less.

eXalted

Arcane
1. Read a review.
2. Watch 2 minutes of let's plays.
3. See how long it takes to beat the game.
4. Decide if the game is good.
5. If yes, I play and beat the game.

I play only one game at a time and that helps A LOT.

Unwanted

Hando

Unwanted
Since around 2005, 99.99999999999999% of games have been mind-numbing shit so I don't play them much anymore but when I do I usually lose interest after several 3-4 hour sessions.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Depends on the game.
If it's something that very clearly is shit once I've come to the realization after playing it a bit, I won't feel any regret or responsibility to finish the game and will drop it and uninstall. If it's a good game that I like, I will always strive to finish a full playthrough and never give it up until then. If it's a good game, RPG or strategy, and/or becomes one of my favorite games, I will probably replay it multiple times in addition to cataloging and backing it up on my external hard drive of all of my favorite video games that I have painstakingly collected in order to never lose and also have due to my disgust for the internet and multiplayer, so that I will always have my video games with me and not be beholden to kike DRM.

Deleted member 7219

The only two games in recent memory that I have ditched forever have been irredeemable piles of shit like Fallout 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda (the latter I didn't buy, but I played the trial).

I will always try to play a game through to the end before giving a verdict, but there's plenty of games that bore me or don't interest me enough to keep playing, and I just drift away from them. My Steam backlog is full of them.

I hope some day to go through them. I do whittle them down occasionally. I'm not buying any new games now so I guess the backlog is only going to decrease.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom