Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How long will larian stick to Original Sin series?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i understand that after succes of the first original sin, making a direct sequel (instead of new game take in same universe but different era/place/dimensions) is the low-risk decision, and i am hyped for the game. but i hope they don't stick to it forever. i for once, would like to see what happen after divinity 2, and such, or something on the vein of beyond divinity, which promise unusual, obscure setting but executed properly instead of being thrash BD is.

or maybe they will finally venture out of divinity franchise and take on a whole new ip. we will see.

Mustawd

Considering tbat the world of the Divinity games is a major IP they own they I expect we'll see something that's at least familiar to the audience of D:OS and D:OS2. I agree with you on the hope for a new ip/workd though.

I think the CRPG world is lately up to its eyeballs in high fantast/forgotten realms clones.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Swen once mentioned that they have two new RPGs in development, and one of them turned out to be Original Sin 2. The other one is supposedly a new IP. I wonder if they are still working on the new one and how many are working on it.

We call it the secret Larian plan which now obviously isn’t that secret anymore, if ever it was. Our goal is to make new campaigns based on the same core single- and multi-player RPG engine which continuously gets improved, to perfect the rulesets driving it and to increase the amount of stuff you can do in our RPG worlds, all the while making the lore and universe(s) more solid. That latter (s) btw is something that may or may not materialise, so don’t wonder about it too much right now ;)

There's also that (long-term) one RPG per year plan.

Mustawd

I'm guessing that's the "ultimate rpg" project they teased a few months back.

Mustawd

There was a presentation in the Larian subforum that Swen gave explaining how they financed D:OS. Basically, IIRC, they took some big financials risks (like taking on Debt) to self publish D:OS. So the majority of the profits went straight to them instead of having to share with a publisher.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
i understand that after succes of the first original sin, making a direct sequel (instead of new game take in same universe but different era/place/dimensions) is the low-risk decision, and i am hyped for the game. but i hope they don't stick to it forever. i for once, would like to see what happen after divinity 2, and such, or something on the vein of beyond divinity, which promise unusual, obscure setting but executed properly instead of being thrash BD is.

or maybe they will finally venture out of divinity franchise and take on a whole new ip. we will see.

They said they were going to do a sci-fi game too. Judging from how much the EE edition of D:OS was, and how it did nothing and fixed nothing that needed fixing (like WL2 DC did) but make the game more consoley, I'm guessing they will make a big push to be a fancy smancy console developer making vapid shit for fucking retards who value only the superficial.

And if that fails like Divinity 2 (the real divinity 2, not D:OS 2) on the consoles and almost breaks larian again they will come back to the crpg audience and use us as astepping stone to their console dreams again.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
The most important part is that they stick to turn-based. They have a really good setup there. I seriously hope they don't switch to something else for "more sales" or whatever.
They can adapt and create new stuff easily on that basis

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I wish i can brofist too.

And yeah, keep the engine, and core gameplay, but different setting, preferably something unique, like beyond divinity, but without the shittyness.

Sci fi series could be awesome too, especially with their level if interactivity. Shoot pipes to create steam burst, EMP grenades, shoot robot battery to explode etc.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The setting doesn't really matter much in a Larian game for me. I'd love a wacky sci-fi game from them, though.

But yeah, the important thing is that they stick with turn-based and build on what made D:OS combat fun.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They still plan on making a Divinity 3 at some point (just Divinity 3, not Divinity: Original Sin 3). Perhaps that's meant to be the "ultimate RPG".

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hmm, I could imagine that they will stick with Original Sin until Original Sin 3, which could be the real Divinity 3. The do good with turn-based-combat and it's what they wanted from the beginning, so it isn't unrealistic, that they will keep the system.

After that I can imagine that they will let the franchise rest for a while and try something new. Maybe another strategy-game or something with steampunk.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They still plan on making a Divinity 3 at some point (just Divinity 3, not Divinity: Original Sin 3). Perhaps that's meant to be the "ultimate RPG".
This, I'm fairly certain they intend to wrap up Divinity with the Ultra-uber-ultimate RPG.

Severian Silk

Larian humor kind of sucks, so since DOS2 is in the same setting I will pass on it. I may pass on all future Larian games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom