Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many of you still buy full priced games in the era of Steam sales?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Betwen huge number of online stores and key resellers there is no reason to buy a full priced game.

For example I bought Expeditions Viking on Gamersgate on day 1 for 25% off.

I buy on Steam only during big sales.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still buy many games on day 1. That doesn't mean that I get it for full price. There's usually a 10-20% discount. There's cdkeys.com and greenmangaming.com that usually sell games cheaper. I also look out for discounted Steam credit (20%). In other words, despite buying lots day 1, it's usually not for full price.

Turjan

Arcane
I hardly ever buy games at release. I guess the last one I remember was Banished, and I bought that somewhere where I got some money off even on release (GMG probably). Other than that, do the Kickstarters count? Those aren't full release prices though.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Getting back to buying games at 'full price' now or at least I no longer care that much about the prices.

Those 'steam sales,' they're nice and all, but they're also THE DEVIL! At least for me. Spent a bunch of cash on shit I'll most likely never play. I'm sure I own at least 200 games I've never even touched or I played for like 15, 30 minutes.

So, yeah, I just buy a game now whenever I REALLY feel like playing it, price be damned. Better this way.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Almost never. I would by a game at full price on launch if i was excited for it. But that almost never happens anymore since all games now a days are shit. I would also buy a game at full price if I really like the studio and when I feel that what they do is important to the genre or the industry. But that's also rare. And what's even the point of buying a triple AAA game from a big studio with an evil publisher? You don't have to wait that long to get it 50% off or more.

For example: I bought Age of Decadence at launch, I bought Expeditions: Viking and the day after tomorrow I will buy The Fall: Part 2 when it launches.

Irata

Scholar
80% off or bust. Last time I enjoyed a game that I'd pay $60 for was something on the Amiga and I pirated it.

kalganoat

Savant
I still do it because I changed my steam account to Russia so every game is 40 to 50% off

Ocelot

Learned
As an eastern european poorfag, almost never. I may occasionally buy some obscure or old title at full price but that's it. I don't feel spending 60€ for a videogame, especially since many games require another 50€ down the road for all DLC. For AAA games, I always wait for the complete version before buying. In general, I follow this rule

fjv3ab7xyzex.jpg

The last game I've bought at full price is Rusty Lake Paradise.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I wouldn't even know what I should buy. Except from a few indie EA titles there is nothing I want, and those I buy at sales, obviously,

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since I don't play "AAA" titles that cost 60 euros, I don't mind paying full price for titles I'm really into playing - they will anyway be in the area of 30-40 euros max
Of course I'm earning a pretty decent salary... My mindset was definitely not the same when I was in the uni

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The only two games I have bought full price in the last year were Elex and Grimoire. I cannot remember one from before that.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Elex and Kingdom Come Deliverance were the last ones.

I tend to do that when i want to support the developer.

My backlog is horrendous though so i pledged a vow to stop buying games for a while now.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Last video game I bought at full price was Fallout: New Vegas. Absolutely fucking worth it. One of the GoATs in RPGs. Anyways, I would buy full price games from developers that I like and want to support.

wyes gull

Savant
I started out my gaming life paying full price for pirated game tapes for the Speccy. Two whole dollars each! Load "", baby.
Oddly enough, I think the first non-pirate game I actually bought was Monkey Island for me 286, and for less than 20 bucks too. Either that or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
Never bought anything day 1 and haven't paid full price for a game since Pro Evo IV for the PS2. Man, full price was easy to pay back when you used someone else's money.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I started out my gaming life paying full price for pirated game tapes for the Speccy. Two whole dollars each! Load "", baby.
Oddly enough, I think the first non-pirate game I actually bought was Monkey Island for me 286, and for less than 20 bucks too. Either that or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
Never bought anything day 1 and haven't paid full price for a game since Pro Evo IV for the PS2. Man, full price was easy to pay back when you used someone else's money.
300px-Zsido_looking_to_the_left.jpg

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I only pay full price, sight unseen, for Spiderweb games, even in cases where I know I might not play them for a while. For AAA games, I will if I know that I want to play them right now. I paid full price for Dark Souls 2 and 3, Nioh, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decadence, The Binding of Isaac remake, South Park the Stick of Truth, Dragon's Dogma, Witchers 2 and 3......honestly, that's about it for the last 5 years or so. All of those games I played instantly and finished.

I will pay full price for Monster Hunter: World. Other than that, though, I can't think of any other games being released this year I'll pay full price for.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron

deuxhero

Arcane
Still? I don't recall paying full price for PC games ever. I don't mean piracy either, by the time games started being published on CD in earnest there were plenty of budget rereleases (generally jewel case only) for anything of moderate popularity.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I believe in spending my ill gotten gains supporting the things i like and the things I like tend to be niche so I actually buy games at full price a lot more then I did years ago when money was tighter. Far too many games i like or devs i adored (i will never forget you psygnosis!) have gone under due to lack of sales and I cant bitch about it if im part of the problem.

That said i also pirate heavily to “demo” stuff and use how guilty i feel playing a game for free as an indication of I should buy it or not, and if so, full price or on sale?

So far this year games bought at full price: elminage original, pathfinder kingmaker, vigilantes, age of fear 3, star traders frontiers, banner saga 3, hero-u rogue to redemption, whatever total warhammer dlc was released, war tech fighters and kenshi. All pretty deserving of support imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom