Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How often do you still watch cutscenes at your age?

Ezekiel

Arcane
I used to watch all cutscenes. But at 29 years, I skip them more and more, when I can. Especially if it's a smaller game. They usually feel like intentional obstructions to my enjoyment. It shouldn't take more than twenty seconds to introduce most game worlds. Very few games are interesting enough to watch for hours.

I beat Tomb... I mean, Lara Croft GO yesterday. That's a Tomb Raider story done right. You get a twenty second cutscene of Lara walking into a jungle and are then left alone. You know that she's an explorer from her gear and you know that she's searching for something because she's holding up her PDA and looking around. That's all you need. Why is it that with every one of the expensive new games I have to listen to characters talk, talk and talk some more before I can finally play the game and see if I even like it? Fuck modern gaming.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't even listen to/read the dialogue or pay attention anything other than stats anymore.

I don't even play games anymore, I uninstall after character creation and read a walkthrough to see how a character with my stats would fare.

I don't play games anymore just watch play-throughs on Jew Tube... but those days mostly just intros and cut scenes. Last game I did finished was Tyranny; at least it was short.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I used to watch all cutscenes. But at 29 years, I skip them more and more, when I can. Especially if it's a smaller game. They usually feel like intentional obstructions to my enjoyment. It shouldn't take more than twenty seconds to introduce most game worlds. Very few games are interesting enough to watch for hours.

I beat Tomb... I mean, Lara Croft GO yesterday. That's a Tomb Raider story done right. You get a twenty second cutscene of Lara walking into a jungle and are then left alone. You know that she's an explorer from her gear and you know that she's searching for something because she's holding up her PDA and looking around. That's all you need. Why is it that with every one of the expensive new games I have to listen to characters talk, talk and talk some more before I can finally play the game and see if I even like it? Fuck modern gaming.
You are retarded. What does this have to do with age? I tell you: nothing! Now get the fuck out of here!

Ezekiel

Arcane

You are retarded. What does this have to do with age? I tell you: nothing! Now get the fuck out of here!
I guess, not much. Well, for me it kind of does have to do with getting older. I found earlier cinematic games like MGS and DMC3 cool, for the way they told their stories. I still go back to those types of games, occasionally. But over the years, all the big games have gone in that direction, and most tell boring and mediocre stories. I kept sitting through them, no matter how crappy they were, because I didn't want to miss out. But I got fed up. I'd rather watch movies.

Last edited:

mbv123

Arbiter
Cinematic games are cancer. It's made by people who were too shit to get into film industry. Even worse, if it has unskippable cutscenes. Even worse than that if there's an unskippable cutscene before a boss fight.

Falksi

Arcane
The bollocks thing is now we just often get fed a load of gumph which has fuck all to do with the game itself. Explanations of plots, characters & events which sometimes we don't even ever see.
May be more realistic, but it drags games down too.
Fat consumerist gamers demanding bloated games, when we'd be getting far better products if devs kept games full of meaningfull quality.

Alex

Arcane
I don't even listen to/read the dialogue or pay attention anything other than stats anymore.

I don't even play games anymore, I uninstall after character creation and read a walkthrough to see how a character with my stats would fare.

I don't play games anymore just watch play-throughs on Jew Tube... but those days mostly just intros and cut scenes. Last game I did finished was Tyranny; at least it was short.

I don't even finish my

hellbent

Augur
I skip all of them, and skim walls of text unless the writing is good. In recent RPGs, I remember reading Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Age of Decadence texts pretty thoroughly, but found myself skipping a lot of the text after awhile in PoE, Wasteland 2, and Divinity OS. Underrail kept things short and sweet.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Interesting question.

I'm 30 and nowadays yes I do skip a lot of dialog and lore dumps in various games. BUT, it depends on the game.

If I'm playing Torchlight II or another Diablo clone where the story is just some mashed together high fantasy schlock and none of it matters to the gameplay, I'm gonna skip each and every dialog, since I'll still get quest rewards and map locations just fine and the game is about killing many mobs anyway, the story is not important at all and is usually very poorly done.

Now, if I'm playing Skyrim I'm going to skip books 100%, and as for the characters it depends, if it's just another "go there, clear a dungeon" shit quest giver, he's going to be clicked thru with no fucks given, but if it's a major and/or unique character then I'll pay attention.

Mass Effect/Dragon Age? These games strong point is the story and dialog, so I'll probably listen to most dialog, maybe skip some sentences where the voice acting is especially slow. But I'll give zero fucks about all the bullshit Codex entries. Not sure if anybody reads those anyway.

Basically: storyfag game: yes I still care, non-storyfag game: usually no fucks given.

Vorark

Erudite
If I deem it important, I usually turn on subtitles, read'em and skip the rest of va delivery. It's the only way I have patience to play cinematic games nowadays.

Falksi

Arcane
Think Drog Blacktooth's post touches on something very key to games, RPGs in particular, which is lacking now. And that's the sense of reward/surprise.
For example, you know that Skyrim books are going to be largely bollocks and rarely worth reading. It's rare anything contained in them will lead to any reward greater than what you'll stumble over anyway.
Can't remember the last time I had to watch a cut scene in order to learn something which would benefit me in the game. It's usually just a case of go to marker now.
It's all filler better hand held progress, which players will struggle not to do.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If a game has unskippable cutscenes I tend to just skip the entire game. I have no patience for this shit anymore.

Cutscenes should be short and used sparingly. They should also be important and have a point for existing. If you could've just dumped a page of text at me which I can read at my own pace, then don't give me a cutscene unless you need the cutscene to establish an atmosphere.

This is what I hate most about modern Bioware games. You spend so much time watching cutscenes that only consist of people talking. No atmosphere is conveyed. Nothing important is shown. No subtle facial animations to give you hints to a character's real thoughts (because Bioware are incompetent when it comes to animations). You could just as well deliver these dialogues in good old text-based dialogue windows. I'm a quick reader, and what takes a full minute in a cutscene is read in 20 seconds.

On the other hand, whenever I replay Thief I watch the cutscenes in full. They're short, never overstaying their welcome, and they're atmospheric as fuck while delivering crucial mission info. And once the cutscene is over, you will not be interrupted again until you have finished the mission.

This is how you do cutscenes. Don't dump them everywhere, interrupting players in the middle of gameplay. Use them sparingly and use them for effect, not just because you can.

Deleted member 7219

I prefer games like Tetris that don't have any difficult words or boring people talking about the story and stuff.

Starwars

Arcane
I tend to read most everything I can find and will not skip any cutscenes. If I find the game so insufferable then I will usually just quit the game. Don't like skipping parts of a game on my first playthrough.

So yeah, if it's that bad then I'll just put the game down instead.

Cutscenes in fps was was one of main reasons I quit post-2000 shooter scene for more than decade.

Nowodays, when playing games with lots of cs sometimes I feel like it would be better to drop this shit, watch them all on youtube and jump on games that are pure gameplay-centric except for intro and outro.

It's also pretty weird that only few games that have cutscenes I enjoyed are fighting games / hack'n'slash (MK vs DC, MK9+10, Injustice 1+2, Drakengard 3).

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I always watch all of them (if I haven't seen them before at least).
I usually try to immerse myself as good into the game as possible, and that's part of it.

Unwanted

Wehraboo

Unwanted
I don't watch them much but I don't think it's anything to do with age. The same issue has affected the writing, too. There are way more cutscenes and way more writing, but it's all very dilluted and pointless low energy filler. The few cut scenes in Ultima Y: the black gate were amazing. Now there are cutscenes for casting a damned spell, every time you meet a random filler npc, and on and on.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I always watch them at least once, but I make loads of saves when I play most things and I like to go back and do my favourite fights/sequences over and over, and then I'll often skip them. They should always be skippable in everything

Beastro

Arcane
I blame MMOs for the tuning out, and I blame WoW above all else.

Before WoW quests were often a rare, interspersed bit of the game you did on the side to get a little exp to compliment grinding, status with a faction you want to get sweet with (often to get to the rewarding quests) or the rare one that provided an item that was usually the thing you did quests for. Back in those days there was a balance struck between story and reward. IMO, the apex of it was Everquests class Epics that were a very long, detailed questline that each had their own story that meshed with each class like a Warrior forging a master blade, a Druid helping battle the corruption of nature or a Shaman working to heal a wound in the spiritual fabric of the world. They weren't high quality storylines, but they were interesting enough to follow along as you did them as were most the rest of EQs little quests with the decline coming with Velious and their class armour quests that were simple offers for gear in exchange for items listed you only read to write down what things to go out and collect, often ignoring to use a website for that and handing in the collected items without really talking to those NPCs.

Then WoW came and quests became the main feeder of exp into the hungry mouth of the player with the occasional gear on top of it. At launch you might have read the quests but then you quickly realized that you were getting them thrown at you like potato chips and then just skipped through to get them and get them completed maybe skimming to see if you could spot some of Blizzards pop culture references in you liked that stuff.

All of this is nicely summed up in that one quest from the original game that ended with telling you to go a place despite the directions having no connection to what the NPC said. It aptly ended with "You know to do this because you are psychic".

After that and WoWs success that got moved to non-MMOs to varying degrees with Torchlight being the biggest one (although it made up for it by focusing on being more of an older style console RPG like Zelda, big on combat and dungeoneering and light on plot)

Think Drog Blacktooth's post touches on something very key to games, RPGs in particular, which is lacking now. And that's the sense of reward/surprise.
For example, you know that Skyrim books are going to be largely bollocks and rarely worth reading. It's rare anything contained in them will lead to any reward greater than what you'll stumble over anyway.
Can't remember the last time I had to watch a cut scene in order to learn something which would benefit me in the game. It's usually just a case of go to marker now.
It's all filler better hand held progress, which players will struggle not to do.

The problem with TES is the book recycling. I spent an ungodly amount of time in Morrowind reading the books because it was my first time reading TES' collections. After that going to Oblivion it then became a task to find the new ones in a sea of those carried over I'd already read while by Skyrim that got repeated while I realized that the quality of the series writing and story-making was tanking and so there was no incentive to go looking of the ones unless I wanted to see what the decline was like or if a quest asked for one.

Today the only thing cut scenes really offer is short bursts of movie cinematics shoved between the gameplay by developers who wished they were making movies, not video games. Keeping the TES theme going, as much as Oblivions ending drama was thrilling to see being near the beginning of this trend (and for being a part of this trend, it was largely well done remembering to keep the player in control for most of it instead of now when control is ripped away so you can't ruin the devs cool movie scene by doing something inappropriate or because you won't do the cool thing they want to happen), looking back I find it depressing as the calm before the storm.

Cutscenes in fps was was one of main reasons I quit post-2000 shooter scene for more than decade.

Nowodays, when playing games with lots of cs sometimes I feel like it would be better to drop this shit, watch them all on youtube and jump on games that are pure gameplay-centric except for intro and outro.

It's also pretty weird that only few games that have cutscenes I enjoyed are fighting games / hack'n'slash (MK vs DC, MK9+10, Injustice 1+2, Drakengard 3).

Brings to mind the wrinkled noses over BF1942s single player being simple a practice for the player or to test a mod before moving into multiplayer. Today such a MP dedicated game would have some stupid story hung onto it for... reasons.

That also brings to mind that that criticism was never lifted upon Counter Strike with demands for some story being shoved into Source and such.

And once the cutscene is over, you will not be interrupted again until you have finished the mission.

Thief 2 didn't really continue that and.... well, that can vary in Thief 3.

Thief 2 however remembered to keep them low and didn't overwhelm you with them unnecessarily, like all of those ones in T3 with Artemis that could have been done in game, instead you remained in control in T2 when interacting during such scenes like with Lotus in the freezer and could do the time honoured tradition of dicking around being stupid to break the atmosphere if you wanted (Or in Lotus' case, once he says the right things to trigger mission goals you can kill him before he asks you to).

The dicking around I think is big, it gives a new lease on life for cutscenes making them different and giving them a new feel in a replay that makes going through them again tolerable. But like I said, most devs today and wannabe movie makers and don't want you doing things that could spoil their masterful scenes of dialogue and drama with most combat scenes being the worst offenders, since you know, if anything should be gameplay and shown through the lens of player control it should be that.

Hell, that is something even old JRPGs understood when they put you in those odd plot fights you couldn't win or lose (the latter like Yu Yevons fight in FFX I constantly hear being reviled as unnecessary since you cannot lose it - I don't know personally, FFIX was my last taste of the series).

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Agree with pretty much all of that Beastro. MMOs really have hurt gaming Imo.
One game which had masses of potential, elements I really enjoyed, but which was ultimately totally ruined by the Mmo/Open world/modern rpg principles which it forced in to it was Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning. It did so much right, and was a lush, humorous, fun adventure wrecked by repetition, shallowness, meaningless loot & quests, and a sea of dialogue which told you the same things over & over.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Basically: storyfag game: yes I still care, non-storyfag game: usually no fucks given.
I feel sort of the same. I'm playing The Walking Dead: A New Frontier right now, and while it's a lazy sequel, I still enjoy this kind of cinematic game. Max Payne 3 is notorious for its cutscenes, yet it's my favorite third-person shooter. But all the AAA games are now "cinematic," even when it doesn't suit them. Tomb Raider is worse as a cinematic game and I'm confident God of War won't be as good as the original, which I'm not even a big fan of. I'm sick of cutscenes and of constantly having control taken away from me in every game, for stories that are usually hackneyed and mediocre. Why can't I just play the game? Without skipping through the story. The purity of games is all but gone, save for smaller, low budget titles. Even a lot of those are implementing lengthy cutscenes. I played this indie Metroid-like game a few weeks ago that opened with, "If you listen, I will tell you of a man....." In my head, I instantly went, "Ugh, no, I won't," and skipped it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom