Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline How to get back to being picky about games?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One thing bothers me.

Back in late 90s and till 2010 I had only PC for gaming and waited for/played 2-3 games per year (plus replayed all-time favorites like FO-FO2, Arcanum or PST). I read a lot of reviews and chose the games carefully. I played one game at a time and finished it in a comfortable pace. And that was great.

Now I have a Steam account with a shit ton of games bought on sales. I have PS3 and 4 with PS Plus with untouched Ni No Kuni and unfinished Dragon's Dogma. I started KOTOR2 and MotB, but didn't finish them. I also have a Vita (this is the only platform on which I complete everything I buy, because I play it everyday during my road to work and back home, and I almost do not touch it while at home). I've bought a lot of stuff during lates sale, started another 5 games and do not know which one I want to play.

I bought the Eschalon trilogy, completed Book I, it was rather cool, but I won't lose anything if I didn't play it at all. And the same is true for a lot of games.

So now it feels like a race to complete them all hasty, because I already feel the upcoming pressure of Bloodborne and PoE coming at the same time btw. It becomes hard to get any satisfaction out of games because you constantly rush the walkthrough because you know, that there are other games waiting to be played.

:negative:

So are there any people who do not buy games mindlessly even with all the modern industry temptations?

Ivan

Arcane
No. As you get older you better understand what you like. Also, you are able to read trailers differently than when you were younger and thereby gauge whether its complexity is up to your liking.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No. As you get older you better understand what you like.
This is true. I think the first thing that addicted me to RPGs were the 2D isometric graphics, I was just hypnotised by that. I didn't even knew about the gameplay when I saw Fallout screenshots in magazines, but I was sure I need to play that!
Also, you are able to read trailers differently than when you were younger and thereby gauge whether its complexity is up to your liking.
This is also true. Bur still the problem remains the same.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Why are you rushing to finish games? Do you have cancer or something? Live in the Middle East or France?

Morkar Left

I have similar problems. It's mostly because I have less time. And games aren't THAT exciting anymore as they were in my youth. Plus with the internet you are tempted to DISCUSS! about the latest games recently released. Which puts you under pressure to try them before you finished other games.
Just remember that good games coming out won't last forever and it can't hurt to have a backlog. Take your time.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
The key is giving yourself permission to quit a game if you're not enjoying it. You have all these games, but you won't play ALL of them. Don't listen to what anyone else says about it - use your own judgement about the game. You don't even need to correctly identify what it is about the game that you don't like. You're not writing reviews. You're playing to have FUN.

Also don't get trapped in the "but it could get better!" mindset. Unless it's some specific element that you don't like that other people say will go away as the game progresses, you have about a 3% chance that the game will change later on to the point where it become "worth it" for you to finish it.

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
The secret to how to be picky with the onslaught of games is simple.

Play one game.
Not one game per month, not one game per year. Just one game, and maybe its sequels.

That way you can be endlessly picky since you only pick one.

How do you find the right one? Well you try the games and see what you like, you don't have to worry if you complete them or not.
You don't even have to worry if they are gathering dust in the steam library, since if you aren't playing them they aren't the one anyway.
And if you ever get bored of your chosen game or you have exhausted all the content you can just try to find a new one.

Super simple stuff.

Machocruz

Arcane
Why the importance on finishing a game? In most games, you perform the same actions at the end that you did in the middle; there is nothing to tied up, reveal, or get closure from. "Oh boy, I can't wait to see how the last turn ends!" Unless you're a storyfag, to which you'll get no sympathy from me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom