Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ I can't aim for shit in FPS anymore

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Everyone thinks aswd is best because it's what they have been taught by crappy earlier keymaps, but it is not. asdfv has been tested and confirmed as superior.

It depends on your fingers' length. I have no trouble switching my middle finger between W and S with my other two fingers firmly staying on A and D, but I can't switch between F and V with my index finger without my S and D fingers feeling awkward.

Also the small finger on A for jump is extremely uncomfortable as compared to thumbs on space for jump. Just try continuously using the weak small finger for 100 twitchy rocket jumps. The small finger just doesn't have enough muscle to support it.

If you want guaranteed better shooting performance, re-map all input buttons away from the mouse and use it strictly for aiming. Separating the aim and shoot functions allows you to be far more precise at shooting at the right moment.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Has anyone else noticed this problem? Is it merely a symptom of growing old and losing the finely-honed edge of youthful ADD exuberance? Is this why the Codex was formed in the first place - old men, embittered by the loss of their pewpewing skills, banded together to proclaim turn-based combat superior? It's not the increased difficulty that bothers me - I could always start setting everything to low/casual - but rather the fact that I no longer enjoy playing shooters on PC as much as I used to due to the frustration of constantly screwing up.

I'll be 37 in 11 days.
2eupw08.jpg

I recommend sublingual B12 (methylcobalamine). Jarrow brand has a high dose - 5000mcg. Try for a week and see if your shooting improves (it might).

If it does, you're B12-deficient and should keep taking it.

Yet at 27, I'm actually finding many of the 90s/early 00s titles I played as a kid vastly more difficult than I did when I originally played them.

Eh, you probably had a lot more time to play and took the idea of doing well way more seriously back then. It's for this same reason that prepubescent little shits will usually destroy you in twitchy PvP games. Not because of magical youth powers, but because they're way more invested in it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You have parasites in your brain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis
A study in Czech Republic found that latent toxoplasmosis patients were involved in accidents 2.65 more times than people without toxoplasmosis infection.

Lowers reaction time. Not enough for a normal person to care, but enough to make twitchy gaming far more difficult. For most games you can compensate with predictive skill, but if the target really is flailing about randomly (as is often the case in an fps) you're shit out of luck.

Cadmus

Arcane
I use arrows and move the keyboard to the left.. always have
I used to as well, but then needed more keys bound than were within reach of the arrow keys. The transition was brutal, but after six months I was back up to form.

To be honest, I'm curious what key you use for jump?

Wow, that's horribad guys.

Best keymap is asdfv, where a is jump and fv are forward/back and sd is strafe.
:)

I use arrows, shift jump, ctrl crouch, num0 reload. you dont usually need much else.
but hey, I also found out Ive been holding the guitar pick wrong for years and when I tried to change it, it improved my speed so I won't say that "fuck you I know what I'm doing". It's just why bother when now I don't see any FPS worth playing anyway.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Funny you mentioned the instagib matches in UT2004; I just got it again in gog and I believe I am actualy better now that 10 years ago. We used to have these big LAN parties at work with over 20 PC conected and I was ok against the bots at the harder levels compared to my buddies but nowadays I even surprise myself how many headshot and instagib matches I get. I think it is not an issue with my motor skills (I am 34) but the fact that I have played these kinds of game so much I tend to compensate movement by aiming always a little higher
There could defiently be something to age making you slower but one of the best FPS players I know is a 46 year old systems guy we call...The Freak (in the same way the gangster calls the Joker in DKR) and he is the kind of guy who eats bunny hoppers or bots for lunch

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Damn it Ed, you have me concerned. Can you hold your hands still in front of your face, or do they shake involuntarily? Can you repeat at least 5 of 10 random objects named to you?

You should see your GP/physician and see what they think.

Really you should.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
UT2004? how old are you guys, i still roll with UT on the lans i play with friends like once a year

abija

Prophet
Honestly, I think it's just me. I've been practicing moving the mouse to and fro tiny dots on the screen, and there's definitely a "stutter" going on (I've noticed this going on for the past couple of years). I think my hands are just very jittery these days. Got da shakes I guess.
Get back on your mx500, set the resolution to 800x600 and try again. It might just be a shitty mouse... Hell could even be an excellent mouse for everything else and still fuck your aim in shooters.
Wasn't exactly clear from your posts but are you sticking to a game for a longer period of time? Cause if not, that's probably one of the issues. I used to play a lot of Q3 and even if I pick it up fast after some breaks, it still takes a considerable time until the game "feels right".

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
UT2004? how old are you guys, i still roll with UT on the lans i play with friends like once a year
Do you know how can I find servers which use the vanilla UT, without custom maps, music and other shit?

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Do you know how can I find servers which use the vanilla UT, without custom maps, music and other shit?

No sorry man, i only play it on lan. It's a great game but i never really played it online.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

No sorry man, i only play it on lan. It's a great game but i never really played it online.
Thanks anyway. I try to play online but 99% of the servers use modified maps, weapons, music and all kind of shit which I hate. Almost like Team Fortress 2. :)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Honestly, I think it's just me. I've been practicing moving the mouse to and fro tiny dots on the screen, and there's definitely a "stutter" going on (I've noticed this going on for the past couple of years). I think my hands are just very jittery these days. Got da shakes I guess.

27 is old now? It's because you play shitty console games with a controller.

Fuck off Metro you disgusting piece of shit
The truth hurts, Ed.

SoupNazi

I use arrows and move the keyboard to the left.. always have
I used to as well, but then needed more keys bound than were within reach of the arrow keys. The transition was brutal, but after six months I was back up to form.

To be honest, I'm curious what key you use for jump?

Wow, that's horribad guys.

Best keymap is asdfv, where a is jump and fv are forward/back and sd is strafe.
:)

I use arrows, shift jump, ctrl crouch, num0 reload. you dont usually need much else.
but hey, I also found out Ive been holding the guitar pick wrong for years and when I tried to change it, it improved my speed so I won't say that "fuck you I know what I'm doing". It's just why bother when now I don't see any FPS worth playing anyway.
How do you lean in games that use it? WASD is superior in those cases because of easy access to Q and E. How do you "use"?

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
stupid discussion about movement keys, the best i ever did in Counter-Strike was with arrows, i played with them for ages.

i used enter for reload and E but E has to be used only for defuse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom