Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I don't understand.. Pool of radiance, TOEE

chaddiek

Novice
Some basic, PC D&D turn based games. Pool of radiance & Temple of Elemental Evil.. How come I haven't found a decent one since? Divinity is cool, what else is out there Similar? By similar I mean a Fantasy, Turn based RPG with a top down view, decent graphics, multiple classes. Can I get some recommendations please?

pippin

d&d is the easiest thing to get right, which might explain why everyone fails so miserably at it when it comes to pc games.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Original Sin was alright but I really felt like the "enhanced edition" declined the entire game.

What did they change so much?
Well what I noticed were
-Godawful new voice acting
-Removed abilities
-Quest markers
-Balancing attempts removing fun plays from the game

I absolutely loved playing the game when I got it in 2014 but the EE left somewhat of a sour taste in my mouth. I will commend Larian for the new crafting interface and tactician mode though. I hope D:OS2 is good.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Some basic, PC D&D turn based games. Pool of radiance & Temple of Elemental Evil.. How come I haven't found a decent one since? Divinity is cool, what else is out there Similar? By similar I mean a Fantasy, Turn based RPG with a top down view, decent graphics, multiple classes. Can I get some recommendations please?

Avernum 1 and 2 remakes (and old 1 through 6), Antherion, the Voidspire tactics fits your fantasy criteria, as well as Last Dream. For some light fantasy post apoc you have Wasteland 2 as a new instant classic on par with ToEE. D:OS is decent but only has two character creation and their personalities are kind of set by the devs. But there is a mod to create a full 4 person party.

Since you seem to have decent taste in crpgs by listing PoR (I am one of the few who liked the 3.0D&D one that was kind of the death knell for TB full party creation iso crpgs besides ToEE but ToEE only happened because Tim Cain is the greatest) and especially ToEE so some other instant classics you need to check out are MMX and the new RoA BoD remake for full party creation (1st person POV blobbers), Age of Decadence and Underrail for single character games, and Waste Walkers for a recrtuitable party game, and I highly recommend Blacjguards 1 (not 2) for a set party game with only main protagonist having chargen but he has an imposed personality by the devs. For RTwP I highly recommend Aarklash Legacy as a non-crpg but the only RTwP game that has really good combat. PoE and Serpents in the Stagland are RTwP. Both have either full party gen or recrtuitables, more so in SitSL than PoE.

For a different type of good game check out Dead State. For arpgs check out Shadows: Heretic Kingdom. Grim Dawn is well liked by arpg fans. Soldak's games are loved and Zombasite is supposed to be great and came out today (I have it but am not in the arpg mode at this time).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
d&d is the easiest thing to get right, which might explain why everyone fails so miserably at it when it comes to pc games.

I wouldn't call the Gold Box, Dark Sun and IE games miserable failures actually. It's rather all the rest of the RPG systems (except Dark Eye) that has failed miserably when it comes to PC games.

pippin

I wouldn't call the Gold Box, Dark Sun and IE games miserable failures actually. It's rather all the rest of the RPG systems (except Dark Eye) that has failed miserably when it comes to PC games.

I was mostly talking about all those games who weren't turn based, for instance. Still, some games manage to shine for other reasons, but the general quality of dnd games has gone down quite a lot.

chaddiek

Novice
Thanks for the great suggestions. I will check all of them and leave my feedback. I really appreciate it! I am really looking forward to this!!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shadowrun hasn't failed yet, either, afaik.
The HBS games were good for what they are, but they basically came up with a very light ruleset that has nothing to do with the actual SR rules, so that's why I'd say they don't count.

It was never really attempted.
Probably because of the complexity.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Not sure what the current state of Sony PSP emulation is, but there was a rather awesome turn-based D&D game released for it called Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics.

tactics_large_3.jpg

Unfortunately, it's quite easy, but considering the lack of turn-based D&D games made in the past decade, it's well worth a play through.

ikarinokami

Augur
I have to agree i have been waiting ages for a proper TOEE follow up. shadowrun was not bad, but far too simple, and original sin was a step in the right direction but not there. WTF does obsidian have tim cain doing, the only person who has made any TB worth a damn Is tim cain. Sorry i'm not a KoTC fan, .

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The solution is more people need to make campaign modules for TOEE. Temple+ is making it the best computer implementation of a ruleset and turn based combat, we just need more stuff to play with that ruleset and combat.

chaddiek

Novice
Glad I came to the right place.

It seems that the general consensus is that there really hasnt been a good isometric, Full party creation, TB, muli-class d&d style rpg with a few minor exceptions. None of which have really hit all the check boxes though. Since TOEE?

With so many games out there how is this possible?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Glad I came to the right place.

It seems that the general consensus is that there really hasnt been a good isometric, Full party creation, TB, muli-class d&d style rpg with a few minor exceptions. None of which have really hit all the check boxes though. Since TOEE?

With so many games out there how is this possible?
I'm hoping Kotc2 will do it, since it has a much better class system now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom