Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I finally understand how shitty the Codex is

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I agree. 1ek is one of the most entertaining posters on this site. Last time he posted an example of what "good writing" is, I literally laughed my ass off irl.

You immediately know you're dealing with a mature (internet) genius if he calls you an idiot or puts you on his ignore list because you disagreed with something or liked the wrong game.

visions

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I agree. 1ek is one of the most entertaining posters on this site. Last time he posted an example of what "good writing" is, I literally laughed my ass off irl.

Link plz.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Games are silly, no matter what art direction they have or what topics they tackle. They're all about not growing up or, alternatively, about giving in to your more childish self. There's nothing "intelligent" about them, nor can they be in earnest compared to great art. Whoever does that, is delusional and immature 1eyedking. :P It's a travesty of great art to even put it in the same mix as video games. Whoever plays video games, shouldn't take them nor him/herself seriously, which is exactly the way Codex works these days. Hence, what Serious_Business said. Screw you.

Still, you're a funny Codex mascot, so I'd rather you stayed. Who else can we rely on to create threads such as this?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
visions said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Link plz.

I'm pretty sure it was a 2009 DAO thread. During an argument between 1ek and VD. I don't have the time to dig it up though. Try to find it!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I see a pattern in certain posters (1eyedking, skyway).

They are in desperate need of finding something to criticize about Codex.

"Everyone loves DA:O", everyone is "fawning over DA2" ... ad nauseam.

If there is a thread of two hundred posts, one single person posting positive opinion is instantly taken as "proof" of the utter and irrefutable decline of Codex. Never mind the fact that the rest of the 199 posts were criticism, sarcasm and "good for what it is".

When the "proof" they've discovered is not enough, they'll gladly go on, building more straw men for themselves. If someone tries to disseminate a recent release (like F:NV), finding the good parts in it, that is instantly seen as further evidence of the decline of the Codex.

Must be easy living in a binary world. Either it is SHIT SHIT SHIT or then you're a part of the decline.

Well, once you start growing your first pubic hair, I am sure you too will come to realize that world isn't that black and white. And maybe understand the noble concept of perspective. One or two trolls trolling about their business does not constitute a majority opinion. The more telling fact would be the absolute absence of the Codexian opinion leaders in such threads.

hanssolo

Educated
Daemongar said:
Jaesun said:
Daemongar said:
My reason for hating this site is the dumping on the original Bard's Tale series, but that's just me.

WAT?

Just an impression I have, but people really seem to dump on the original BT series. Wizardries, Goldboxes, Wasteland, Ultimas, TES: Arena: all mentioned for their historical merits and contribution to modern crpg thought. BT is usually dumped on or convieniently left out. Ah, maybe people don't understand it's contribution, I don't know.

Honestly, the Bard's Tale series isn't all that great. I'd much rather play Phantasie/Wizardry/PoR/Ultima. Even the BT spinoffs are more enjoyable. And it didn't really carry much historical significance, I can think of thousands of Wizardry clones (including BT) but very few BT inheritors (Devil's Whiskey?)

waywardOne

Arcane
Then GTFO. Installing DAO can be forgiven; re-installing proves you're a fucking moron. Posting a "goodbye" thread proves you're an attention starved moron.

Buh-bye.

mondblut

Arcane
A lone artfag lost in the world where hordes of combat- and statfags fight for dominance against hordes of story- and c&cfags. What a tragic fate.

..."writing" and "art direction" my ass.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
1eyedking said:
But that's when it hit me. I had to "turn my mind off" to enjoy whatever gameplay bits (and they're few) the game had to offer. I had to stop juding the voice-acting, the aesthetic design decisions, the way characters acted and behaved, the completely horrible and unbelievable writing, the reasons why a dungeon should or shouldn't exist, the economic and political landscape of the world, the uninspired monster lore, the whole Witcher rip-off vibe you get out of every corner of the game, and a myriad of other stuff that I simply couldn't bear to ignore.

So you are saying that, if we "turn our minds off" or, in other words, become completely retarded imbeciles, we will be able to enjoy all sort of games, no matter how shitty they are?

Sorry, I really don't wanna do that. I prefer to re-enjoy some good game over and over, or to do something else when there are no decent games around, rather than having to change my own mind into a numb, dumb, shit-smoothie in order to enjoy some crappy game which won't leave me a single fond memory or emotion. No thanks.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Haba said:
I see a pattern in certain posters (1eyedking, skyway).

They are in desperate need of finding something to criticize about Codex.

"Everyone loves DA:O", everyone is "fawning over DA2" ... ad nauseam.

If there is a thread of two hundred posts, one single person posting positive opinion is instantly taken as "proof" of the utter and irrefutable decline of Codex. Never mind the fact that the rest of the 199 posts were criticism, sarcasm and "good for what it is".

When the "proof" they've discovered is not enough, they'll gladly go on, building more straw men for themselves. If someone tries to disseminate a recent release (like F:NV), finding the good parts in it, that is instantly seen as further evidence of the decline of the Codex.

Must be easy living in a binary world. Either it is SHIT SHIT SHIT or then you're a part of the decline.

Well, once you start growing your first pubic hair, I am sure you too will come to realize that world isn't that black and white. And maybe understand the noble concept of perspective. One or two trolls trolling about their business does not constitute a majority opinion. The more telling fact would be the absolute absence of the Codexian opinion leaders in such threads.
Actually, I don't see 1eyedking as an equivalent opposite of Skyway, or necessarilly similar to him.

He is more of an equivalent opposite of Casanova. The guy who made the "Planescape Torments Me" thread. Basically Casanova only repeated what was just about many Codexer's opinion on what was wrong with Torment (especially the opinions of even its biggest fans), but behaved like he was the first person to point them out, and like he was a lone contrarian on the Codex about it.

Although I agree more often with Casanova than I do with 1eyedking, I'd say that the running theme between the two is people who point out that the sky is blue, but behave like others have not noticed. Others too have noticed that the sky is blue, but happen to also keep some other considerations in mind, or at least don't necessarilly come to the same conclusions as them after noticing that the sky is blue.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wyrmlord is pretty much on the spot, though what Haba says about the 'declineofcodex'-crowd isn't wrong. I think my very first topic was about how the decline-crowd scares the fuck out of me. I really don't get it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I don't get this thread.

Codex is shitty because Dragon Age is shitty.

The logic is mind-blowing.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Wyrmlord said:
He is more of an equivalent opposite of Casanova. The guy who made the "Planescape Torments Me" thread. Basically Casanova only repeated what was just about many Codexer's opinion on what was wrong with Torment (especially the opinions of even its biggest fans), but behaved like he was the first person to point them out, and like he was a lone contrarian on the Codex about it.

Although I agree more often with Casanova than I do with 1eyedking, I'd say that the running theme between the two is people who point out that the sky is blue, but behave like others have not noticed. Others too have noticed that the sky is blue, but happen to also keep some other considerations in mind, or at least don't necessarilly come to the same conclusions as them after noticing that the sky is blue.

Sounds a bit like mild autism.

Angthoron

Arcane
I didn't see much of the Codex liking DA: O personally, there were lots of "this game is fucking derp" threads and so forth. There's a few people that seem to have liked it for some reason, and I even forced myself to play it for a bit as I intended to review it, but... The story is banalshitboring, the characters are bla bla bla and the faces of the humans are so far into the Uncanny Valley that looking at them with a (very mild) hangover made me want to puke.

What's to not like in a glorious pile like that.

Monocause

Arcane
So, 1EK, are you angry at the group because all of its members aren't what you expected them to be? Let us indulge in an exercise: 1EK migrates to, say, France. Would he bash all the Frenchmen after some two years because not all of them are artsy wine-sipping moustache and beret wearing folk?

Dude, the Codex isn't a homogeneous group. There's a bunch of loosely defined factions here. Dragon Age was a source of controversy all the fucking time, with some people defending it (myself included), some people criticising it and some people bashing it on principle due to some features it exhibited - or just being a Bioware game. To cut it short - business as usual.

I, for instance, liked the game during my first playthrough. It was only during the second one that some of the flaws started to glare at me - and it was because I knew the game quite well by then and saw how limited it actually is. Take Sten for example - at one point at the camp he casts doubts at your ability as a leader and suggests he might oust you from leadership. I never expected it to happen, sure - the game was designed in a way it was pretty obvious it wouldn't support anyone else in charge than you. I did think though that it is possible, given low influence or poor dialogue choices, that you might have to duel Sten or that he might leave you if you delay going after the Archdemon for too long. Same with Flemeth hunting Morrigan, shriek ambushes at the camp etc, etc.

The game was good at creating illusion of a reactive and punishing world. It could fool you only if you had no foreknowledge of the game though, but it's still something praiseworthy. Now, I'm not surprised to see that you can't enjoy it seeing as how you had two years to read up on it, see all the praise and criticism it faced. By now you probably know the game much better than many people who actually finished it. Why did you even bother playing it now? I wouldn't if I were you.

I still think that the game showed promise and it was massive incline given how crappy Mass Effect 1 was. Combat at Nightmare was quite challenging and fun for the most part (and still is unless you throw the balance out of the window by finishing DLCs or using DLC items), the party characters were pretty well written with a few notable exceptions (such as Oghren who was derp, especially after how awesome the dwarves were shaping up to be or Wynne who was just plain boring). The archdemon was an extremely poor villain but you realised that only when reaching the end-game; most of the time you were just waiting for the twist that would show some hidden connections or some other motive for the Blight in general than mindless destruction - plus the game focused you on subplots, making the blight more of a constant hindrance than something you concentrated on. My hopes for Bioware were relatively high after DA and ME2.

Funny that I thought about leaving multiple times too anyway. The reason for my semi-retirement and a sharp drop in posting is kinda different, it was all about posters like you who would get butthurt, vindicative and abusive all the time, even if it isn't conducive to well, anything. The "hardcore codexers" always claim it's about intelligent discussion and critical thinking but when it comes to actually discussing something they're always the first to start ad hominems and devolve everything to a dull "no u" game of contradiction mixed with insults - and when you tell them to lay off they claim superiority because you apparently 'couldn't take the heat'. To top it all, the insults and verbal sparring often lacks finesse and is just boring and predictable to behold; hence I don't even bother to jump in the, say, TW2 discussions since there's always a hardcore codexer in the underbush who'll eventually come in and pull everything to the intellectual gutter filled with strawmen, baseless generalisations (QTE!!!1! CONSOLE UI YOU CONSOLETARD). Ad nauseam ad hominem et absurdum et curva. Then there're also the trolls and idiots (or people masterfully claiming both titles, like Ch1ef who had mercifully left) who get even more annoying than the hardcore ones.

Well, most relatively sane people don't join internet forums to achieve mastery at handling verbal insults but to exchange info and opinions related to their hobbies or interests. If you're expecting folks to treat video games as an ideology you're likely to be disappointed.

torpid

Liturgist
1eyedking said:
So I decided to reinstall Dragon Age, just for shits and giggles

Translation: "I needed something to rage about today so I willingly replayed a game I hate." Now do it six more times and you'll unlock the "Skyway: Critical Butthurt" achievement.

1eyedking said:
You really have to start growing, people. Judging games by their gameplay alone is too fucking easy.

Can't you people see how hard 1eyedking has it, his hand on his brow, gritting his teeth as if constipated, thinking deep thoughts about video games? He suffers while we carelessly play merely to entertain ourselves. That's the easy way out; he devotes himself to the difficult and thankless task of pontificating on the internet.

1eyedking said:
Thus, my conclusion: the Codex is fucking mindless when it comes to playing games. It cannot into critical thinking, it can only think in terms of flowchart C&C, "functional" HUDs, item progression, spreadsheet leveling, encounter difficulty, turn-based vs. real-time...and all of this because judging said things is easy. Too easy.

It has nothing to do with being easy: though obviously personal preference always plays a part, all the things you've described can be discussed and compared fairly objectively. Waxing aesthetic on the other hand is much less conducive to interesting discussions and more often leads to posturing about who has better taste and is more refined -- the sort of talk you specialize in.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
torpid said:
Can't you people see how hard 1eyedking has it, his hand on his brow, gritting his teeth as if constipated, thinking deep thoughts about video games? He suffers while we carelessly play merely to entertain ourselves. That's the easy way out; he devotes himself to the difficult and thankless task of pontificating on the internet.
:lol: :salute:

DraQ

Arcane
Pros:
My opinion about importance of good art direction, lore, worldbuilding, etc., as well as about TW being good game in opposition to biowhorisms has been validated. :D

Cons:
It has been validated by fucking 1ek. :(

Serious_Business said:
Wow, you're a gigantic intellectualist faggot. Since when did critical thinking had anything to do with entertainment?
Since the founding of the holy fatherland - Codexia.

Since such is the requirement for measuring the decline and without it, you have no grounds for saying that Call of Derp or Oblivious are bad games and causes of worrying trends.

:obviously:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
why do you post such a fucking whiny off-topic piss thread in rpg discussion

reported

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
As usual, he has some points, but delivers it fairly whiney and causes unnecessary drama.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Please share us, what did TW rip off?"

TW is pretty much standard fantasy tripe. It's fukkin' about an ugly AMNESIAC monster hunter that goes around to sluaghter monsters and uncovers a 'conspiracy'. FFS

Even it's so called dwarves and elves - which people lamely try to claim is unique - aren't at allm unique and are basically rip off of D7D stuff. FFS

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
torpid said:
You have successfully added torpid to your BRO list.
It's long past due too :love:

DraQ said:
Pros: My opinion about importance of good art direction, lore, worldbuilding, etc., as well as about TW being good game in opposition to biowhorisms has been validated. :D
Cons: It has been validated by fucking 1ek. :(
See, you were much better off having lore conversations with me :smug:

The difference is that 1eyedking isn't arguing about the importance of art direction. He's arguing about the importance of HIS definition of art, which if I recall does not necessarily overlap with yours (it fucking better not...). Remember "it's only art if it's made of Noble Materials"?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Oh crap, who shifted this? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom