Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I finally understand how shitty the Codex is

MetalCraze

Arcane
So how shitty is the Codex?

Is it just shitty?
Or is it shittier?
Or is it Über Scheiße?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you consider codex shitty why are you reading and posting on it? Is it because you consider yourself worthless shit?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
jonnypolen said:
Sorry to say but...after reading this thread filled with hatefull, ignorant and arrogant crap I was utterly disgusted. Why people feel the need to express their stupidity in this manner and why no moderator took any action is beyond me.
For awhile now I was distressed about a lot of the comments in the forum. Ranging from wishing cancer on to everybody affiliated with bioware to short sighted offensive crap about other people/country's and the complete inability of quite a few people to see different opinions as equally worthy as their own.
Rpgcodex has great newsbits, neat reviews and a great layout and some very interesting takes on computer rpg gameing ,therefore I'll defenitely keep on visiting the site, but the forums with all the pseudo-intellectual, arrogant and bitter rhetoric...well I'll say goodbye to them.
Butthurt detected.

visions

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
jonnypolen said:
Sorry to say but...after reading this thread filled with hatefull, ignorant and arrogant crap I was utterly disgusted. Why people feel the need to express their stupidity in this manner and why no moderator took any action is beyond me.
For awhile now I was distressed about a lot of the comments in the forum. Ranging from wishing cancer on to everybody affiliated with bioware to short sighted offensive crap about other people/country's and the complete inability of quite a few people to see different opinions as equally worthy as their own.
Rpgcodex has great newsbits, neat reviews and a great layout and some very interesting takes on computer rpg gameing ,therefore I'll defenitely keep on visiting the site, but the forums with all the pseudo-intellectual, arrogant and bitter rhetoric...well I'll say goodbye to them.
Butthurt detected.

It's an ancient Trash post.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I found Dragon Age: Origins mediocre at best. It did some things right but did a lot wrong.

DragoFireheart

MetalCraze said:
So how shitty is the Codex?

Is it just shitty?
Or is it shittier?
Or is it Über Scheiße?

Well since it isn't level scaled then it must have a set amount of shittyness, right? If the whole of the site is based on the users and the post they made, we can make a quick judgment by looking at how many posts are made compared to quality (note: making subjective observations):

News, Content & Feedback
========================
RPG Codex News & Content Comments

Good quality usually.

TCancer News & Content Comments

Good.

Site Feedback

Usually shit, lots of bitching.

Total good: 229263
Total bad: 40156

RPG Discussion
===============
General RPG Discussion

Decently moderated, so good.

Codex Workshop

Good.

MMORPG Discussion

MMORPG are shit so bad.

Total good: 408901
Total bad: 14284

Gaming Discussion
==================
General Gaming

All bad since mostly discussion about new gene.

Strategy Gaming

Good.

Adventure Gaming

Good.

Codex Playground

Amusing so good.

Total good: 104111
Total bad: 135449

Hosted CRPG Forum Pool
======================
Prelude To Darkness

Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome

Age of Decadence

Haven and Hearth

Terra Bellica

I don't visit these and there quantity is small so I'll leave them out other than Age.

Total good: 16282.

General Discussion
===================
General Discussion

All shit.

Codex Public Library

Good.

Retardo Land

Pure shit

Total good: 31017
Total bad: 705770

Entire codex:

=========
Total posts: 1685233
Total good posts: 789574
Total bad posts: 895659

% of posts that are shit: ~53%

From my calculations, 53% of the codex is pure shit.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
1eyedking said:
So I decided to reinstall Dragon Age, just for shits and giggles and see if I could extract any anecdotal material I could share with people should they ever ask me what I thought about the game.

I fired up the game, and just from watching the intro I had a sudden urge to uninstall it because from what I could see it was going to be one hell of a generic, grand and supposedly epic popamole ride into Ferelden about fighting darkspawn, level-scaled bandits, and boredom.

So I kinda went like "Hey, if I'm to to get some juice out of this piece of crap I'm going to have to ignore some of the stuff in it and just enjoy the gameplay ride and have fun min-maxing stats, picking skills, talents, and tackling encounters that aren't as easy as those in The Witcher."

But that's when it hit me. I had to "turn my mind off" to enjoy whatever gameplay bits (and they're few) the game had to offer. I had to stop juding the voice-acting, the aesthetic design decisions, the way characters acted and behaved, the completely horrible and unbelievable writing, the reasons why a dungeon should or shouldn't exist, the economic and political landscape of the world, the uninspired monster lore, the whole Witcher rip-off vibe you get out of every corner of the game, and a myriad of other stuff that I simply couldn't bear to ignore.

Thus, my conclusion: the Codex is fucking mindless when it comes to playing games. It cannot into critical thinking, it can only think in terms of flowchart C&C, "functional" HUDs, item progression, spreadsheet leveling, encounter difficulty, turn-based vs. real-time...and all of this because judging said things is easy. Too easy. To this day the Codex still can't appreciate good writing (DA:O has some of the worst writing I've ever read and witnessing VD defending it was hard enough), it doesn't get what good music is all about, it knows fucking nothing about atmosphere, world design, lore, economics, basic human behavior, etc. The worst? Nobody seems to be making an effort to really understand this things. Instead you just call 'storyfag' all the other people that despite how utterly misguided they are (such as saying Mass Effect makes sense, or finding 13-year-old-aimed anime dungeon crawlers deep) at least put some (albeit incredibly small) amount of thought into why the goddamn Astral Dominae would fall into the Dark Savant's hands and if the war they mentioned between the ant-things and lizard-things was just mindless fluff to make the world sound epic, contrived and "alive".

To be honest, as I write this I've just realized I've outgrown this place. Before I registered I used to lurk the Codex a lot, and enjoyed reading how people here liked classics like Fallout, Arcanum, PS:T, but over time I've learned they've come to like them for the wrong reasons. I got in here because I wanted to promote my Witcher translation patch, because I thought people here cared about that sort of things in games (because Fallout and PS:T had them), and felt as bad as I did at the prospect of missing out all of the juicy art direction games could have, but I found out that still people couldn't really nail what it is that makes games truly great. It's like you all got stuck in this hivemind mode and couldn't really see the good and the bad in a game and just thought in terms of the buzzwords I mentioned above. "If it's turn-based, it's good!", "If it's got Tim Cain or Avellone in it, the writing's goode!", "Torchlight's music is good because it's got Uelmen in it!", and stupid crap like that.

To this day I can't understand how some people enjoyed DA:O. It's somewhat of a throwback to party-based RPGs but the content is so goddamn abysmal that you actually have to turn your mind off, but isn't the Codex all about being critical & intelligent when it comes to games? Then why did I have to actually not-think to wade my way through the first chapters? This never happened in The Witcher. I also can't understand how some people liked the new King's Bounty with all its kiddy stuff, abysmal music and shitty-quality sound effects, completely non-credible world and mindless grinding; or how someone could have said that DA2's Black Emporium has good voice-acting in it.

You really have to start growing, people. Judging games by their gameplay alone is too fucking easy.
i saw you were from argentina and realized i dont listen to people from third world countries so i didnt read your post

racofer

Thread Incliner
DragoFireheart has learned how to manipulate scientifically apply statistics to bend reality towards his point of view accurately prove facts.

Any mathematician would be proud of you, good sir. :salute:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DragoFireheart the Mathematician and 1eyedking the Artist... a match made in heavan?

DISCUSS!

Shitposter
1eyedking said:
So I decided to reinstall Dragon Age, just for shits and giggles and see if I could extract any anecdotal material I could share with people should they ever ask me what I thought about the game.

I fired up the game, and just from watching the intro I had a sudden urge to uninstall it because from what I could see it was going to be one hell of a generic, grand and supposedly epic popamole ride into Ferelden about fighting darkspawn, level-scaled bandits, and boredom.

So I kinda went like "Hey, if I'm to to get some juice out of this piece of crap I'm going to have to ignore some of the stuff in it and just enjoy the gameplay ride and have fun min-maxing stats, picking skills, talents, and tackling encounters that aren't as easy as those in The Witcher."

But that's when it hit me. I had to "turn my mind off" to enjoy whatever gameplay bits (and they're few) the game had to offer. I had to stop juding the voice-acting, the aesthetic design decisions, the way characters acted and behaved, the completely horrible and unbelievable writing, the reasons why a dungeon should or shouldn't exist, the economic and political landscape of the world, the uninspired monster lore, the whole Witcher rip-off vibe you get out of every corner of the game, and a myriad of other stuff that I simply couldn't bear to ignore.

Thus, my conclusion: the Codex is fucking mindless when it comes to playing games. It cannot into critical thinking, it can only think in terms of flowchart C&C, "functional" HUDs, item progression, spreadsheet leveling, encounter difficulty, turn-based vs. real-time...and all of this because judging said things is easy. Too easy. To this day the Codex still can't appreciate good writing (DA:O has some of the worst writing I've ever read and witnessing VD defending it was hard enough), it doesn't get what good music is all about, it knows fucking nothing about atmosphere, world design, lore, economics, basic human behavior, etc. The worst? Nobody seems to be making an effort to really understand this things. Instead you just call 'storyfag' all the other people that despite how utterly misguided they are (such as saying Mass Effect makes sense, or finding 13-year-old-aimed anime dungeon crawlers deep) at least put some (albeit incredibly small) amount of thought into why the goddamn Astral Dominae would fall into the Dark Savant's hands and if the war they mentioned between the ant-things and lizard-things was just mindless fluff to make the world sound epic, contrived and "alive".

To be honest, as I write this I've just realized I've outgrown this place. Before I registered I used to lurk the Codex a lot, and enjoyed reading how people here liked classics like Fallout, Arcanum, PS:T, but over time I've learned they've come to like them for the wrong reasons. I got in here because I wanted to promote my Witcher translation patch, because I thought people here cared about that sort of things in games (because Fallout and PS:T had them), and felt as bad as I did at the prospect of missing out all of the juicy art direction games could have, but I found out that still people couldn't really nail what it is that makes games truly great. It's like you all got stuck in this hivemind mode and couldn't really see the good and the bad in a game and just thought in terms of the buzzwords I mentioned above. "If it's turn-based, it's good!", "If it's got Tim Cain or Avellone in it, the writing's goode!", "Torchlight's music is good because it's got Uelmen in it!", and stupid crap like that.

To this day I can't understand how some people enjoyed DA:O. It's somewhat of a throwback to party-based RPGs but the content is so goddamn abysmal that you actually have to turn your mind off, but isn't the Codex all about being critical & intelligent when it comes to games? Then why did I have to actually not-think to wade my way through the first chapters? This never happened in The Witcher. I also can't understand how some people liked the new King's Bounty with all its kiddy stuff, abysmal music and shitty-quality sound effects, completely non-credible world and mindless grinding; or how someone could have said that DA2's Black Emporium has good voice-acting in it.

You really have to start growing, people. Judging games by their gameplay alone is too fucking easy.

jesus tittyfucking christ. to each their own dude. i liked the game because i enjoyed the combat and the followers were fucking endearing and the gameplay was decent enough for me to finish. it was a decent RPG.

dismissing games outright because they aren't "intelligent" is stupid, fuck you etc

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Cloaked Figure said:
1eyedking said:

jesus tittyfucking christ. to each their own dude. i liked the game because i enjoyed the combat and the followers were fucking endearing and the gameplay was decent enough for me to finish. it was a decent RPG.

dismissing games outright because they aren't "intelligent" is stupid, fuck you etc
I think he needs to read this:
http://insomnia.ac/commentary/for_artfags_only/

DragoFireheart

racofer said:
DragoFireheart has learned how to manipulate scientifically apply statistics to bend reality towards his point of view accurately prove facts.

Any mathematician would be proud of you, good sir. :salute:

Well, now if anyone asks "DUR HOW SHITTY IS THE CODEX!?!?!?!", you can give them a resounding, confident answer of "Why good sir, the codex is 53% shit!"

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Cloaked Figure said:
1eyedking said:

I think he needs to read this:
http://insomnia.ac/commentary/for_artfags_only/
No he doesnt. That "article" is retarded gibberish. Hurr durr derp, language critique. Yeah, we know. Facepalming all the way to the bottom about how its written too.

Korgan

Arbiter
The freemason terrorist K. I. N. G. Comrade!

article-2017709-0D1F33FB00000578-704_306x512.jpg

Murk

Arcane
So is this 1eyedking's "I'm going away forever" thread?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Expect to see him posting regularly again in a few weeks.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
1eyedking said:
To be honest, as I write this I've just realized I've outgrown this place.

translators note: Got called a twat once too many times and is very very upset about it.

Fucking autists man, talk about being delicate flowers.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
"To each their own" is a terrible adage.

Dragon Age is bad. This is not an opinion, nor is it mine, nor is it humble. It's quite simply a fact of existence.

Of course, 1eyedking is no particularly remarkable specimen either which makes this thread difficult to evaluate. If I had to say anything I'd tell you this, I suppose:

People that liked DA:O or any of the new popamole aren't people. Therefore their beliefs shouldn't trouble you and can safely be ignored.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
1eyedking has a point, and he expressed it eloquently enough in the first four paragraphs of his post. DA:O is indeed horrible shit.

Actually, his post is like an inverted bell curve; the final two paragraphs are spot-on as well. It's just that middle part... God! Jeckyl and Hyde much?

MCA
1eyedDerp going HerpDerp over a a semi-praising review of a shit game written by one former-content-provider-on-the-staff-turned-jaded-gamer-developer wrote and attributing that to be the general consensus in Codex.

:retarded:

But I guess you could say that the chosen one...

...must choose

:yeah:

MetalCraze

Arcane
But the general consensus on the Codex was that DA:O is an awesome game.

Before ME2 came out :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom