Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I hate games that contain X

Silva

Arcane
What element makes any game automatically abhorrent for you ?

For me its Zombies. I simply can't stand any zombie games, no matter how apparently good or even lavishly praised it is. I'll vomit if I try it. Tolkienesque fantasy comes a close second. I love actually fantastic games (like KoDP, Planescape, etc) but if I see some generic goody-goodie elfs boo-boo Orcs, I wanna crush it with the hate of 10.000 mujahedeens.

How about you, bros ?

himmy

Arcane
I saw the thread title and was about to launch in a staunch defence of Sam and Max, Lords of Xulima and Crazy Taxi, before I realised you didn't meant the letter X.

Ivan

Arcane
Water levels. When I was a kid the giant eel in Mario 64 ruined me.

Fuck: Banjo Kazooie's sharks, Majora's Mask's eels, Dark Souls' Hydras, Mario Galaxy's eels.

Also, I hate it when you solve a puzzle in a game and the game takes control away from you and shows you a cutscene of the path that you just opened (LIKE A FUCKING AUDIO CUE WASN'T ENOUGH looking at you Zelda, Metroid Prime)

Ivan

Arcane
Makes taking showers and applying shampoo difficult to this day.

One other thing, ENCUMBRANCE. Just give me a fucking inventory a la Deus Ex.

Cassidy

Arcane
Sticky cover.

If a game mostly involves sticking behind invulnerable crates and popping moles, I don't give a fuck what other "merits" it has, for in my perspective, it will always be a popamole piece of shit for consoletards.

oscar

Arcane
What element makes any game automatically abhorrent for you ?

For me its Zombies. I simply can't stand any zombie games, no matter how apparently good or even lavishly praised it is. I'll vomit if I try it. Tolkienesque fantasy comes a close second. I love actually fantastic games (like KoDP, Planescape, etc) but if I see some generic goody-goodie elfs boo-boo Orcs, I wanna crush it with the hate of 10.000 mujahedeens.

How about you, bros ?

On that note fantasy and historical settings with modern (or even worse, SJW) sensibilities what always coincides with a bland setting in general. I particularly like games that do the opposite i.e KoDP encouraging you to think like an Orlanthi chieftain with trying to apply 21st century common 'logic' often backfiring.

pippin

I agree, when it's all about zombies it's boring as hell. Don't mind general undead species, though. Skelletons are some sort of guilty pleasure of mine because Harryhausen feels.
Mechanically I hate puzzles that come out of the blue, are arbitrarily timed or present some sort of made up challenge which disrupt the whole feel of the game in question.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
L1brul history tiem ranks pretty high up on the list of showstoppers for me.

The worst IMO must be unoptimized code and shitty game engines, nothing can put me off a game more than that. Retardo console devs who cannot into data compression are a plague too, have skipped games just because they simply were too big to be worth it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Level scaled randomized loot, the lazy dev answer to filling their dungeons with crap to make it appear they have content. I'm speaking of you larian, to make a U7 you need more harmonious lore, especially geographic, attached to handplaced loot. If you want to randomize loot, if you fucking must, create a seed at the start of the game so chests don't change the fucking loot on reload.

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
I don't like randomized loot much either, but I didn't find it to be a curse in Diablo2, which leads me to believe it's more about the implementation than the concept itself. As a concept I'd have to go with level-scaled whatever. Enemies, loot, etc., doesn't matter. Boring as fuck. Other than that it's mostly technical, like crappy camera/controls.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Quick Time fucking Events, I hate this stuff. Also linear level desing and "action movie" type structure in popamole shooters, too much scripting (that depends on the genre though), handholding, lack of variety of enemies, shitty "modern movie" forgettable music. Story wise: "americanism" us soldiers(or space marines styled after them) saving the day and SJW-ism(stronk wimyn with stupid feminist one liners, faggotry etc.), dumb "important message" type of stories etc.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Is there a name for that thing in Assassin's Creed and Twitcher where your control inputs won't take effect until the appropriate animation cycle is complete? Makes games nigh unplayable for me.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Oh, and another thing: WoW style graphics.
ALSO: BUYING VIRTUAL STUFF WITH REAL MONEY, F2P etc, I would love to get my hands on the people who invented it, Auschwitz would be a picnic compared to what I would do to those greedy little shits.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom