Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I have all summer to do nothing. Please recommend games.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I'm taking a semester off from college due to not having a way to get there anymore so now I have an absolute ton of free time. So I've always wanted to learn about as many games as I can so now that I've got a few months I figured I might as well gather up a list of what to play. So thanks for your recommendations ahead of time.

A quick rule (since I can't think of a better term) is if it's locked to a service (steam, origin, etc) then please don't recommend it since I hate clients due to steam screwing up for months and not letting me install any of my games. I'm debating doing a vote on them so I might tally them up after a bit if I'm bored. Also don't worry too much about what I've played odds are I haven't played it due to playing a lot of crap when I was younger.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you really want the Summer to fly by while you do absolutely nothing I would suggest some shitty, grindy MMOs.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Try to beat some hueg game (that you wouln't think in normal days because "omg its too big 4 me"), like 7,62 High Calibre (+Blue Sun mod) or World of Baldur's Gate, Morrowind.

Never found MMO interesing or worth wasting more than few hours.

No srsly, get a job

RolePlayer

Augur
Hi guys, here's a lame story about taking time off from college, and another cool story about how I can't function steam or origin. Give me a list of games I should pirate, because I'm too stupid to browse around/use the search feature.

Thanks.

Quilty

Magister
Completely master a few simulation games like a total bro. I suggest Silent Hunter 4 or 5, any of the DCS planes (but choose between A-10C and KA50 for additional bro points), Rise of Flight or Cliffs of Dover. Spend a week building your own head motion tracker with LEDs and invest in a joystick. Forget RPGs, flight simulators are the way to go if you intend to do something so painfully nerdy like wasting a summer on games.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Cliffs of Dover.

Looking for a good relatively recent sim myself. I already own RoF and I'm downloading DCS.

Cliffs of Dover was a total mess at release IIRC, is it fixed?

Have you played Aeroflyfs that game looks gorgeous.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
About the "getting a job" answers, I'm not opposed to getting a job but I honestly don't think I would be able to get one in time since the last 2 jobs I applied for took about a month to get back to me and my parents want me doing full time school once I get my driver's license and can take myself.

Renegen

Arcane
For non RPGs, you can try Heroes of Might and Magic. I heard the latest one, HoMM 6 is very accessible to new players.
:troll:

:Flash:

Arcane
For RPGs, look at the list.
Here are some other suggestions. These games stand out, and IMO everyone should at least try them. They have also aged very well, and are as good today as they were when they were released.

Outcast - Best 3rd person game ever. The feeling of being in another world, the story, the music, there is nothing this game does wrong.
Another World - Best atmospheric 2d game. Not so good gameplay-wise, but worth it for the atmosphere.
The Lost Vikings - Best Jump'n'Run/Puzzle Hybrid.
Monkey Island - Best humorous adventure game.
Gabriel Knight - Great atmospheric adventure game.
No One Lives Forever - Best first person shooter.
At least one of X-Wing Aliiance or Freespace 2 or Tachyon: The Fringe - for having played 1 great mission-based space game.

Stone Age - OK, this is a personal favourite of mine (puzzle game) and shouldn't really be on this list.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
For RPGs, look at the list.
Here are some other suggestions. These games stand out, and IMO everyone should at least try them. They have also aged very well, and are as good today as they were when they were released.

Outcast - Best 3rd person game ever. The feeling of being in another world, the story, the music, there is nothing this game does wrong.
Another World - Best atmospheric 2d game. Not so good gameplay-wise, but worth it for the atmosphere.
The Lost Vikings - Best Jump'n'Run/Puzzle Hybrid.
Monkey Island - Best humorous adventure game.
Gabriel Knight - Great atmospheric adventure game.
No One Lives Forever - Best first person shooter.
At least one of X-Wing Aliiance or Freespace 2 or Tachyon: The Fringe - for having played 1 great mission-based space game.

Stone Age - OK, this is a personal favourite of mine (puzzle game) and shouldn't really be on this list.
I actually just started NOLF a few days ago. Thanks for the list and hopefully I'll have some money to get a couple of those. Also I just found Stone Age on abandonia so I'll give that a shot.

Quilty

Magister
Cliffs of Dover.

Looking for a good relatively recent sim myself. I already own RoF and I'm downloading DCS.

Cliffs of Dover was a total mess at release IIRC, is it fixed?

Have you played Aeroflyfs that game looks gorgeous.

Haven't tried Aero, but Cliffs of Dover has been fixed by fans, look for the Team Fusion mod. It's a brilliant game for MP currently, and it's only getting better with each iteration of the mod. Has a steady MP community that updates its servers whenever a new version of the TF mod comes out.

Deleted member 7219

Under A Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive, Overseer and Tesla Effect.

You can get them all at GOG.

Tex needs more fans.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Under A Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive, Overseer and Tesla Effect.

You can get them all at GOG.

Tex needs more fans.
I added them all to my wishlist to keep track of them. I'll try to get them at some point.

Also to Quilty since I skipped you eariler (sorry about that) I've added some of your suggestions on my amazon wishlist to keep an eye on them. Thanks.

Also since I just found out how easy DOSBox is to set up, I might start with either the first Wizardry or Dark Sun: Shattered Lands.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Also since I just found out how easy DOSBox is to set up

I would recommend uninstalling DOSBox and getting this SVN Build: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

I've been using this version of DOSBox the last couple of years and will probably never return to "vanilla" DB.

The Windows build incorporates Direct3D with pixelshaders, OpenglHQ, Innovation, Glide, zip/7z mount, Beep, NE2000 Ethernet, Graphic user interface (menu), Save/Load states, Vertical sync, CPU flags optimization, Various DOS commands (PROMPT, VOL, LABEL, MOUSE, etc) and CONFIG.SYS commands (DEVICE, BUFFERS, FILES, etc), Continuous turbo key, Core-switch key, Show details (from menu bar), Nice DOSBox icon, Font patch (cp437), MAKEIMG command, INTRO, Ctrl-break patch, DBCS support patch, Automatic mount, Printer output, MT-32 emulation (MUNT), MP3CUE, Overscan border, Stereo-swap, SDL_Resize, MemSize128, Internal 3dfx voodoo chip emulation, etc. Recent versions include DOSBox-X branch changes as well.

Last edited:

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
You will play Tree Simulator 2013: Treeloaded all summer. Sorry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom