Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I have no patience for RPGs anymore

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Playing UnderRail for the first time.

1. What an atmosphere! what cool little graphics! What moody sounds!
2. Damn the guy is too slow.. where is the run button ... fuck there is no run button
3. fuck, why dont the screens transition directly ? I have to wait this slow fade out.
4. Hey! Beardy dude by the crossroads is cool. Seems like someone avatar on the codex
5. what a moody exploration! Im excited! all those derelict stations and all
6. OH COME ON, no fast travel ?? I must traverse all these maps back in turtle steps !?
7. Ok, first mission is over. Now I must capture some little dogs.
8. FUUUUCK! MAPS TOO BIG! TURTLE STEPS AGAAAAAIN!!!!
9 quit

I seriously dont have any more patience for this stuff. I think the classical RPG format is loaded with boring shit thats just there out of tradition sake. Things like map-traversing in turtle steps are the most offensive one, but really, any map traversing at all is boring, except if its solely for exploration purposes. But for strolling through my own base ? Fuck just gimme a RotK 8 menu with options on static screens, man. Click-go-click-go. Done. By the way, I think the "sim" genre has some cool things that classical RPGs could take some lessons from.

Now, before anyone else accuses me of popamoleness, Im as old-school as it gets, with Ultimas and Underworlds and Darklands and Fallouts and Arcanums and System Shocks and Deus Exs and Stalkers and King of Dragon Pass and Alpha Centauris under my belt. (no Baldurs Gate nor Bioware though, those are crap). The last games I had the patience to finish recently was Invisible Inc. and Metal Gear Ground Zeroes, and both playthorughs together took less than 8 hours.

So, is it just me ? Or are other vets out there losing the patience to play through classical 40ish hours games ?

I had similar feelings sometimes when it comes to gaming, especially crpgs. I had two beloved genres one is crpg, second are strategy games, especially economical or city builders.
But it's real hard to play sometimes day after day (to say more it's impossible ), when you get older. I had wife, two daughters, other hobbies etc. but even with my luck as having kind of "on your own" profession i barely can find time to play these games (still have over 1TB collection of original games from late8's up to this day (including Amiga's ones) ) when i want. Last time i've started Witcher 3, and i like it a lot but get into Velen and stopped for 2 weeks, now i barely remember story ;(. Same thing with Great Pillars, Underrail that you already mentioned in your post or Divinity Original Sin , Xulima, ME series (finally im at ME3 3/4) etc. in same way i stopped modding Skyrim too and other easy moddable games.
But i worked out good system anyway. Im always reserving up to 5 hours of totally "mine" time at sunday evening, then i made barricade at my studio and tell family "Backoff, daddy needs a reset" then im playing crpgs only.
During week i simply play less demanding games in terms of story and characters like startegy games, tycoons, city builders, etc. or shooters and maybe some GTA :) .
One thing ive discovered, is that now im more interested in history of given game/game series / developers and their stories [call it "gaming culture"] than into new games on their own [as i found most of tchem real crap, AAA ones included].
I like to read about old companies, etc. Kind of sentimental trip into my years of my youth.
There are not so many nice games on the horizon to be honest next year, i mean they may look great but many of them surely will have not any magic. Still is better to lose hours in BG or IWD , or even newer "classsics" than run into crappy new "crpg" .
I will be glad to play new Fallout - even if it is fucked up, i will have Nexus with dozens of mods and game looks good, Numenera (or Numenora whatever), and maybe those Tales from Sword Coast . Maybe more we will see.
Nice to see other gamer with hard times in gaming.

pippin

But cinema as art was at its peak in the silent film period.
Why?

During the silent era, lots of human and material resources were invested in the creation of a picture which had to *move* the people watching it. That's why most of the times the actors and actresses used dramatic makeup and a dramatic body language in general.

However, you should also consider that you didn't had anything like this before. Many people were in it for the novelty and that's why it became something profitable: it was something unique and exciting. There were many advances, but as I said doing something when you had nothing is more notorious than trying to make 3d films. When you talk about modern cinema, remakes and reboots are often criticized as a negative factor, but during the silent era, remakes were almost a norm, when you weren't making cheap comedies or stuff like that. The Birth of a Nation and Potemkin were the exception and not the norm.

Rpgsaurus Rex

But cinema as art was at its peak in the silent film period.
Why?

Without sound or much color, silent cinema pushed the CINEMA aspect to the max. Sound, color etc. were introduced in early 1930s but talent didn't grow in proportion to accommodate for it. Like most of us here moan the glossy bland 3D in games and long for hand-crafted 2D. Not to say there weren't good movies made after 30s, or that there weren't any good games made in 2010s, or that 2D games or b/w silent movies are somehow innately superior, they're not. It's just the quality of the best pre-30s movies has still not been surpassed (and may never be, who knows), hence the "peak of cinema as art".

retardation

Learned
Playing UnderRail for the first time.

1. What an atmosphere! what cool little graphics! What moody sounds!
2. Damn the guy is too slow.. where is the run button ... fuck there is no run button
3. fuck, why dont the screens transition directly ? I have to wait this slow fade out.
4. Hey! Beardy dude by the crossroads is cool. Seems like someone avatar on the codex
5. what a moody exploration! Im excited! all those derelict stations and all
6. OH COME ON, no fast travel ?? I must traverse all these maps back in turtle steps !?
7. Ok, first mission is over. Now I must capture some little dogs.
8. FUUUUCK! MAPS TOO BIG! TURTLE STEPS AGAAAAAIN!!!!
9 quit

I seriously dont have any more patience for this stuff. I think the classical RPG format is loaded with boring shit thats just there out of tradition sake. Things like map-traversing in turtle steps are the most offensive one, but really, any map traversing at all is boring, except if its solely for exploration purposes. But for strolling through my own base ? Fuck just gimme a RotK 8 menu with options on static screens, man. Click-go-click-go. Done. By the way, I think the "sim" genre has some cool things that classical RPGs could take some lessons from.

Now, before anyone else accuses me of popamoleness, Im as old-school as it gets, with Ultimas and Underworlds and Darklands and Fallouts and Arcanums and System Shocks and Deus Exs and Stalkers and King of Dragon Pass and Alpha Centauris under my belt. (no Baldurs Gate nor Bioware though, those are crap). The last games I had the patience to finish recently was Invisible Inc. and Metal Gear Ground Zeroes, and both playthorughs together took less than 8 hours.

So, is it just me ? Or are other vets out there losing the patience to play through classical 40ish hours games ?
A perfect game for you:

hqdefault.jpg

I know, I went through that phase.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom