Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I have no patience for RPGs anymore

worldsmith

Savant
i'll say it again, play some roguelikes if you want to cut out all the crap for a while!
I can't speak for anyone else, but roguelikes are in absolutely the wrong direction from where I want my RPG gaming to be going. I want an RPG that isn't so narcissistic and tactical combat focused - that isn't pretty much just about me powering up my avatar, with the whole (shallow) game world there just to justify that (and to support/justify all the murdering). I would prefer a game where I am on a more even basis with the game world's other characters (at least some of them), where we all have the ability to influence the game world, where the PC, NPCs and game world all interact with and influence each other. Current RPGs provide only the most shallow facade of such a world. Roguelikes (that I've seen anyways) throw out even that facade (as do some pure dungeon crawler RPGs). I want more than a facade, not less - I want the "real thing" - or at least I would like to see some significant progress in each generation of RPGs towards that end, with more believable and more playable emulation of such interaction as the real-world years go by. (I was happy playing Daggerfall back in the day, not because it was an objectively great game or anything, but because it at least had been a movement in the right direction.) Instead it's like nobody's even trying any more, not for about the past couple of decades. It's mostly the same "scripted adventure game + combat" formula game after game after game.

So let's look at the value of RPGs that are "scripted adventure game + combat". (Note that I'm lumping character progression in with "combat" here, as that's about all it's good for in most RPGs.) I really can't stand (scripted) adventure games. They are not about anything other than jumping through whatever inane hoops some game dev (who likely has an IQ 20+ points lower than me) has come up with. No thanks. Tactical combat as a game play mechanic (if done well) is OK, but if I am going combat-focused I would rather play something with additional gameplay mechanics (e.g., strategy games such as AoW:Shadow Magic) or at least something that mostly drops the lame-ass adventure game crap (e.g., tactical combat games - from what I've heard the Jagged Alliance games might be good examples of this, but I haven't gotten around to playing them yet so I can't say for sure -- my preference for complexity has kind of kept me spending my "combat time" on strategy/4x games rather than non-RPG tactical combat games).

As I said earlier in the thread, it's a matter of entertainment-per-unit-time. Some people in this thread have been arguing against a strawman - acting as if it's just a time thing. It's not. I can (and still do) spend days playing AoW or Warlords 3 or Warlords Battlecry or Imperialism, among others. I can also spend days (and have) playing things like Eschalon. But there's a significant difference in entertainment provided. Playing Imperialism (especially if I haven't played it in a while) is fun. Eschalon is not - I was not entertained - the story did not interest me - the combat was almost entirely nothing but "buff if needed, then repeatedly click on enemy until it dies", with even the allegedly hardest parts being so easy there is no other way to describe it except as "broken" - and the game mechanics were kind of dumb. (I played books 1 and 2. I own 3 but I really don't think I'm ever going to play it when I know it's going to be just more of the same non-fun and that time could be spent playing some other more entertaining game, or working on my own game, or reading a book, or watching a movie, or venting on the codex, or any number of other things I might consider a better use of my time.)

Is it just Eschalon? Would a more widely beloved and renowned game fair better? Maybe some would, but I've tried some of them and they've failed. I quit Fallout 1 when the adventure game aspect went braindead stupid. I quit Wizardry 8 when I noticed that the "character progression" wasn't really progression at all because the enemies were inexplicably getting stronger every time I leveled up. Planescape Torment? Well, at least I didn't invest too much time into that game before I dropped it. If there are RPGs that are actually worth my attention, I would like to know what they are so I can play them. But I'm not going to throw numerous hours into each of hundreds of different RPGs in the hopes that one of them might actually be good. Sure, every few months or so I might once again build up enough of a desire to play a good RPG to give one more apparently-promising game a try, but I'm not really hopeful. (Though, I did enjoy Divine Divinity for a while despite it not exactly matching my RPG ideals - I think it was a combination of quick/fun combat, lots of free-roaming exploration, that the game didn't take itself seriously and that the adventure game parts didn't get in the way of having fun. Unfortunately I eventually ran into a game-breaking bug which meant my character was perma-stuck in some underground area. I didn't like its sequel, but perhaps some of the other Larian games might be worth a shot - I already own a copy of Divinity 2 and D:OS.)

Another strawman that has been brought up is that people like me just don't like the RPG genre. That's not true at all. In fact, it is by far my favorite genre: My dream game, the one I want to play most (and will make if I must) is an RPG. (And I like role playing aspects mixed into my strategy games - but not the stupid adventure game stuff.) The problem isn't the genre - it's the games that are being made. (That is, unless you artificially limit the definition of RPG to being "scripted adventure game + tactical combat". But I think a far more living/reactive game world where the story can be infinitely more emergent than it is in today's RPGs would still be an RPG, and would in fact deserve to be called an "RPG" much more than what we have now.)

A living/reactive game world requires some really good AI, and that is why I named good AI in my first post as the key to making RPGs more entertaining (and why I explicitly stated that such AI was not just for tactical combat). The AI needs to be used to make NPCs "play the whole game of life" within the RPG's game world. (Game world mechanics also have to be greatly expanded to allow for this, but that's the easy part. The AI is the hard part.)

Silva, if you haven't played it already, you might want to try Divine Divinity. I would go back to it again myself except the adventure game part of RPGs (as well as fixed enemy locations and fixed other things and the typical limited "explore everything" size) means they can be somewhat annoying to replay as it's constant deja vu. (Those people who replay RPGs and adventure games again and again to try all of the different choices - they are freaks to me. I don't understand them at all.)

Rpgsaurus Rex

The nagging feeling of "been there, done that", like I've outgrown this RPG genre too old for this shit makes me abandon most games nowadays. Then once in a blue moon a good game like Shadowrun comes out and gets me juices flowing again. Good stuff.

Mustawd

Leitz, why are you so obsessed with my free time?

Tell u what...I'll give you a breakdown of my day today cuz I know you're interested:

1. Get showered and shaved
2. Go get suit altered as I have interviews coming up
3. Laundry
4. Mall to buy some clothes (work and casual)
5. Work a few hours
6. Research companies I have interviews with (aka read their 10k, 10Q, and last two earnings releases)
7. Post on RPG codex
8. Play 1hr of video games
9. Family time

There. That should make u feel better :D

Shouldn't your wife be handling 3 and 4?

Nah. We split chores. I fucking hate cleaning.

Silva

Arcane
Just smoke some weed, tends to make you more patient. It will also give you more time due to forgetting work, neglecting the wife and all the other mumbo jumbo eating up your gaming time. Oh and if you're lucky you'll yearn for a feast right after smoking, which consequentially makes you be able to game longer without taking a break later.
:lol:

Cadmus

Arcane
At the end of the day, it's not RPGs that are at fault here IMO. It's just that many of our lifestyles don't really match up with how these games are structured. For example, I might have an hour once a day, three times a week to play the game. In a deep, complex, and great incline RPG like Underrail, maybe it takes me 5-7 mins to remember what I had done last time...where the story is, etc. Ok, great, so I realize i need to talk to 3 or 4 NPCs, so that's an additional 10 mins. So far 17 mins have passe. then I double check equipment, make sure I sold everything I need to sell, buy everything I need to buy; another 5-7 mins.

Finally, I can start to go out and start a quest; So that's what...30 minutes of good gameplay? Then the rest of the hour is walking back to town to make sure I save/sell everything...and that's my hour.

Imagine doing this a few times...after a while you'll just say "fuck it" and load some popamole or actioney game like Diablo II or whatever to help unwind from work. Same issue with my main game right now: Telepath Tactics: Great tacticool gameplay, nice and crisp GFX, but there's no in-game save. So we're talking one run through a large map...me rushing to finish the map before my time is up, etc.

Then you wonder why people like Tim Cain have AAA popamole games in their most played Steam library. It's not the game's fault. It's just that a proper RPG needs time..something that's less in supply when you're a bit older...

I guess what I'm trying to say is "fuck getting old"...:negative:
what the fuck you have some important in your life that you only have 1 hour for your hobby? Maybe the problem is your priorities and you dont want to admit to yourself you dont give a shit about playing the games anymore?

Tell u what...I'll give you a breakdown of my day today cuz I know you're interested:

3. Laundry
5. Work a few hours
6. Research companies I have interviews with (aka read their 10k, 10Q, and last two earnings releases)
7. Post on RPG codex
9. Family time

sorry I didnt notice you posted this stupid shit
so I was right, you dont give a shit to play games anymore

Leitz

Learned
Just smoke some weed, tends to make you more patient. It will also give you more time due to forgetting work, neglecting the wife and all the other mumbo jumbo eating up your gaming time. Oh and if you're lucky you'll yearn for a feast right after smoking, which consequentially makes you be able to game longer without taking a break later.

A RPG that you can play high, is a bad RPG. Also: Weed doesn't make you patient, just dull.

Grokalibre

Savant
At the end of the day, it's not RPGs that are at fault here IMO. It's just that many of our lifestyles don't really match up with how these games are structured. For example, I might have an hour once a day, three times a week to play the game. In a deep, complex, and great incline RPG like Underrail, maybe it takes me 5-7 mins to remember what I had done last time...where the story is, etc. Ok, great, so I realize i need to talk to 3 or 4 NPCs, so that's an additional 10 mins. So far 17 mins have passe. then I double check equipment, make sure I sold everything I need to sell, buy everything I need to buy; another 5-7 mins.

Finally, I can start to go out and start a quest; So that's what...30 minutes of good gameplay? Then the rest of the hour is walking back to town to make sure I save/sell everything...and that's my hour.

Imagine doing this a few times...after a while you'll just say "fuck it" and load some popamole or actioney game like Diablo II or whatever to help unwind from work. Same issue with my main game right now: Telepath Tactics: Great tacticool gameplay, nice and crisp GFX, but there's no in-game save. So we're talking one run through a large map...me rushing to finish the map before my time is up, etc.

Then you wonder why people like Tim Cain have AAA popamole games in their most played Steam library. It's not the game's fault. It's just that a proper RPG needs time..something that's less in supply when you're a bit older...

I guess what I'm trying to say is "fuck getting old"...:negative:
what the fuck you have some important in your life that you only have 1 hour for your hobby? Maybe the problem is your priorities and you dont want to admit to yourself you dont give a shit about playing the games anymore?

3. Laundry
5. Work a few hours
7. Post on RPG codex
9. Family time

sorry I didnt notice you posted this stupid shit
so I was right, you dont give a shit to play games anymore
Funny you had the exact same day than Mustawd.

;

Educated
The secret to making time for rpgs is to forego sleep

We have some fresh account

:butthurt:

Welcome to the Codex.

Seriously. As if people have no use for their time other than to get butthurt on how I spend my 10 minute breaks during work to check email and post something every now and then.
EDIT: this thread is now about how Leitz is obsessed with my free time. Mods, please change title accordingly. K thanks.

You want to play games now? Oh wait, I forgot you have no time for this, right.

On May 17th, 2015, a Sunday you wrote 9 comments on this forum. You had to read through a lot of stuff to do this, right? Had some leisure time on your hand, huh? What happened with your dense lifestyle, pal?

I don't envy you old people who have to cope with all that: your family, your beautiful wife, your hobbies, friends, games. I assume you woke up in the morning, sent your five kids to the neighbor and your wife to her "hairstylist"...Jamal, so you finally had some time for yourself. This day you were done with your studies of russian and astro physics and finally, finally you could start your shitpost frenzy again. Maybe, just maybe there was even a minute or two to play a game, humble as you are.
No, I really don't envy you old guys. You have my empathy.

b4-05-02.jpg

3. Laundry
5. Work a few hours
7. Post on RPG codex
9. Family time

so....you are unemployed...

ok

Mustawd

We have some fresh account

:butthurt:

Welcome to the Codex.

Seriously. As if people have no use for their time other than to get butthurt on how I spend my 10 minute breaks during work to check email and post something every now and then.
EDIT: this thread is now about how Leitz is obsessed with my free time. Mods, please change title accordingly. K thanks.

You want to play games now? Oh wait, I forgot you have no time for this, right.

On May 17th, 2015, a Sunday you wrote 9 comments on this forum. You had to read through a lot of stuff to do this, right? Had some leisure time on your hand, huh? What happened with your dense lifestyle, pal?

I don't envy you old people who have to cope with all that: your family, your beautiful wife, your hobbies, friends, games. I assume you woke up in the morning, sent your five kids to the neighbor and your wife to her "hairstylist"...Jamal, so you finally had some time for yourself. This day you were done with your studies of russian and astro physics and finally, finally you could start your shitpost frenzy again. Maybe, just maybe there was even a minute or two to play a game, humble as you are.
No, I really don't envy you old guys. You have my empathy.

b4-05-02.jpg

3. Laundry
5. Work a few hours
7. Post on RPG codex
9. Family time

so....you are unemployed...

ok

Huh? Hell no. I wish. Then I could actually have time to play RPGs. Nah, I work too damn much lately. So, like a lot of my fellow coworkers, I'm looking for a job with less hours and more pay. So far so good on the interviews landed.

THEN maybe I'll have some time to finish some more incline RPGs and that Lincoln Bio.

Mustawd

ITT we learn Cadmus' daily routine is that of a loser.

Ugh...I had that fuck Cadmus on ignore, and should have kept him on ignore to avoid his shitposts. Well, that's lesson to me I guess. Anyhow, back to ignoring.

Someone with patience for Naruto's plot should have patience for anything

losing the patience
And I thought it was more about passion. When playing games becomes a chore, it's time to quit and find another pastime.
Yeah a hobby has to be piss easy, brainless nonsense that never challenges you!

It has to be enjoyable. If you're not looking forward to engaging in the activity because you fear you won't be patient enough to deal with the annoyance, it stopped being a hobby and turned into a bad habit.

Machocruz

Arcane
I like to think that one develops better taste through the years, and hence their tolerance for the bullshit in video games decreases. Watching a bunch of talking heads spout inane, uninteresting dialogue is not a good use of time imo. Who the fuck walks around a whole town talking to strangers to find out the one or two tidbits of information they need? How about drawing up flyers, or orating in the town square and getting the people with information to come to you? Why am I constantly bombarded by suicidal wolves? Why can't I jump higher than mid-shin? Why are locked chests filled with feathers and an empty inkwell? At least in Cataclysm DDA, 90% of the stuff I find can be used to make something useful.

Game developers just have bad ideas, like bigger being better -so now the banalshitboring is multiplied and the game still doesn't have good core mechanics. Because a bunch of boring NEOfaggers or Gamespotters with no other hobbies might complain about not getting their money's worth from a game with less than 100 hours of "content." 100 hours of limited RPGameplay; riding horses and swinging swords and talking to mannequins and not much else, or any of the other actions that made video games a major form of modern entertainment. I begin to believe this genre should have never gone past Ultima 7's scale, not with its (the genre) mechanical limitations. Limitations that are arbitrary, btw. There is no reason that traversal and combat can't be more dynamic, especially since everything is real time these days. No reason you shouldn't be able to move through your world like a platformer or racing game or Batman. No reason your horse shouldn't be able to run as fast as an Indy car or jump 20 feet across. I mean, if they're going to popamole anyway, they might as well do it right. But for those games that take the traditional approach, less is more. I never want to experience another Hommlet in an isometric game again. You don't have town bullshit in a pen and paper game. You say "I go to the church to talk to the guy" and the DM just switches scene to the church, he doesn't count out your steps. I never want to do another quest where I'm running back and forth to the same person every time I find a new morsel of information, like a jackass errand boy.

UnknownBro

Savant
Naruto? GTFO!! I can't believe I posted in this, I feel dirty now...

Also playing M&B:Warband now. Best Rpg strategy game evar.

Caleb462

Educated
you realize you have let the internet, TV jump cuts, modern sensibilities etc ruin your natural ability to sit and appreciate being a human being alive on the earth?

You must be the guy who whined over Geralt in Twitcher always running.

If being a human being alive on the earth was anywhere near fun and exciting, we wouldn't need fucking computer games in the first place :obviously:

Proving his point by failing to recognize the inherent awesomeness of being alive. And we don't need computer games. We just happen to have them.

worldsmith

Savant
Ironically enough, the answer to your problems lies with a (sort of) roguelike: Dwarf Fortress.
No, it's not the answer. Dwarf Fortress (adventure mode) is different than other roguelikes in that it makes some attempt to create a living world, and in fact in other forums I have stated that it is the game that is closest to what I am looking for - at least in terms of what it tries to do (though not in terms of execution - and even what it tries to do falls short of what I want). Unfortunately the game falls flat on its face in nearly every way that matters. In my first post I stated two features that I consider critical to creating better RPGs: Good AI (which is key to entertainment) and allowing the player to control at what level of detail they are playing (to avoid time spent on boring stuff and focus on the interesting/fun stuff).

As far as I can tell, the AI in Dwarf Fortress is very poor - it's all breadth (to deal with tons of game mechanics) and no depth (needed to produce behavior that appears more intelligent). A general purpose AI might be able to provide both breadth and depth with a reasonable number of development hours invested (and in fact I am betting on that in my own development work), but it seems to me the Dwarf Fortress AI is basically a bunch of hand-coded low-level behaviors (with A* thrown in for pathing) and not a general purpose AI at all. (Am I wrong? Are Dwarf Fortress AIs capable of complex non-pathing-related planning which fully takes into account not only the game mechanics but the likely behaviors/reactions of other characters? In this video they didn't seem to even notice the PC setting their town on fire.)

On the level of detail front, the game also appears to fail. E.g., see this video where the guy gets a quest that involves going into the sewers to kill some creature (oh, such a novel quest!). He says he's never managed to solve a sewers quest. Why? Because he's never managed to find the sewers. So he proceeds to just wander around manually looking for sewers while (retardedly) "oooing" and "ahhhing" at what appears to be a lot of random junk. Almost 20 minutes later, while still trying to find said sewers, PC gets in fight and is killed. (How fun.) In fact, some Dwarf Fortress youtubers like here realize that long stretches of the game are nothing but boring crap, and have skips in the video so they can just show the more interesting bits. As a player, I want that "skip feature" built right into the game so I too can skip all the boring crap. (At least the game does have fast travel - but much more is needed. That same page suggests this tidbit of exciting gameplay: "Now go find someplace reasonably safe and walk back and forth until your Crutch Walking skill gets up to Legendary or above.")

Add to that the atrocious visuals (where you can't tell what anything is), poor UI, even more focus on combat than some other RPGs (if you ignore the long mostly pointless wandering around) and the game seems to me to be highly unlikely to be any fun for me. (I've already tried Dwarf Fortress in fortress mode in the past - didn't really care for it. Haven't really played much adventure mode because, unlike fortress mode, adventure mode never even gave me the impression it might be fun.)

Is there something that could really sell me on the game? Convince me that it's worth sinking a bunch of hours into it? Maybe demonstrate that I'm all wrong about its AI being shallow or about its inability to skip boring stuff? (I've tried finding such convincing materials - no such luck.)

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Seems like you're set for UnrealWorld RPG. Or maybe the 1.0 of Ultima Ratio Regum in 2020.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The problem is not patience/time allotment but interest - games, and especially RPG, these days are terrible.

- CRPG are a rehash of an rehash of an rehash. They failed to reinvent themselves. Developers as well as the players cling to ridiculous notions of 'virtues' of RPGness (See the 'What is an RPG?' questionare on RPGWatch foor the latest bloomer) as if that ever mattered. Chained onto the walls of the jail of their own making, man-boys hitting their 40th birthday are reinventing the wheel in a stupor - lest someone forget what an RPG actually is. It is inconsequential whether I boot up Pillars or Baldurs, Twitcher the III to His Name Or Leisure Suit Larry, Skyrim or Oblivion... It is all the same ... the same ... the same...

- MMORPG have degenerated into skinner boxes, vacuuming up people from the bottom. Over are the dreams of boys ruling an internet kingdom of their own making with an iron fist, extorting from the weak and going to war with each other over resources, petty strife and stylized pictures of your mother. Gone are the booze-fueled teamspeak sessions shouting ridiculous orders at each other. Choices have been replaced by an XP bar and Consequences have made way for repetition. The social aspect has been sacrificed on the altar of greed, giving way to the cold & harsh materialism of felling the two millionth trash mob for virtual items. And in turn, MMORPGs have been attracting the endless hordes of those without any imagination or even individuality, you know, the kind of people that psychoanalyze the fuck out of your life for any random post you make on an internet forum (I am looking at you, spaniard_with_ridiculous_long_nick), allowing zero room for any alternative to take root.

It is all very dramatic.

In short: Scream and Shout
repent-the-end-is-nigh-ye-must-be-cleansed.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom