Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I just played Quake 2

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Jesus fucking Christ, this game is scary - I actually got killed because I couldn't coordinate my movements after getting startled by 3 cyborgs with chainguns. Of course I played it in software mode:obviously:.
Too bad the version that I bought doesn't have a soundtrack. Still, it's creepy-creepy even without music.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Why play it in software mode when it was designed from the start to use 3D acceleration? When it was presented to the public, a few developpers felt that they had to scratch what they had done until then to switch to the new engine because everything looked suddenly dated. I could understand using software for the first Quake, which is what I do, because that's how it was designed and some effects like underwater distortion do not work with a 3D accelerated port, but not Quake 2, unless something escapes me.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Not to mention about Quake 2 fantastic design of maps. These guys were unholy good professionals.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Not to mention about Quake 2 fantastic design of maps. These guys were unholy good professionals.
The map design was one of the main things that made the game scary-scary. All these claustrophobic tunnels and cluttered spaces where something may jump out or walk out and start shooting or start shooting from an upper level. Also, it looks like there are some alternate routes.

Why play it in software mode when it was designed from the start to use 3D acceleration? When it was presented to the public, a few developpers felt that they had to scratch what they had done until then to switch to the new engine because everything looked suddenly dated. I could understand using software for the first Quake, which is what I do, because that's how it was designed and some effects like underwater distortion do not work with a 3D accelerated port, but not Quake 2, unless something escapes me.
Texture blur.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The only difference I see between Quake 1 and Quake 2 engines is that the latter one had 3D acceleration.
In fact Doom = idTech1, Quake1/2 = idTech2, Quake3 = idTech3, Doom3 = idTech4 so same shit.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
That's what a few developpers thought back in the day, that the Quake 2 engine was just the Quake engine with 3D acceleration added on top of it, and switching your project from one to the other would be done in a few mouse clicks. Boy, were they wrong!

CorpseZeb

Learned
The only difference I see between Quake 1 and Quake 2 engines is that the latter one had 3D acceleration.
In fact Doom = idTech1, Quake1/2 = idTech2, Quake3 = idTech3, Doom3 = idTech4 so same shit.

Sir, in any 3d engine there is more then meets the eye.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Quake 2 and scary?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHW WUUUUUUHUUHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!! OHHH WOW!
This. Q2 was a really great game, one of the best FP shooters of all time, but I'd never call it scary. It wasn't even dark FFS.

Stakhanov

Augur
I always got the impression that id shat out Quake 2 as an excuse to advertise a new engine. It's not horrendous just crushingly average: no aesthetic, shitty hub level design, mediocre weapons and enemies, and a weak attempt at incorporating narrative in the form of pushing buttons occasionally. Very surprised people see any value in it.

Also, this.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Quake 2 is not scary. Don't be a moron.
System Shock 2, Thief, Stalker have genuine scary moments. But not Quake 2.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
no aesthetic
Only if you play it in accelerated mode.

mediocre weapons
IIRC railgun became a cult weapon thanks to Quake II.

Cyborgs that jump from niches while making creepy-creepy grunts and screaming distorted war cries and try to kill you in a death twitch are mediocre? Fuckers are so creepy that I often gib them after killing (One thing that would be cool if there was a chance for them to self repair and start attacking the player again).

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Quake 2 is totally awesome and I would much rather be playing it right now than Mass Effect 3. God dammit.

Micmu

Magister
Ahh, Q2. It is from time when FPSes were evolving, not devolving like today. I still fondly remember being amazed at its crisp graphics and vivid colors (especially liquids).. and Riva 128 I got, from some small, unknown company called "nVidia".
Unfortunately, I was disappointed how they went from dark fantasy setting in Quake 1 to robots & alien shit. But at least at that time robots/aliens weren't overused yet.
I wouldn't call it scary at all.

Go play Doom and Doom 2 again, get a decent modern engine. (With mouse aim you are a gigantic pussy if you go on anything less than Nightmare! difficulty).
Those were scary / action-packed games.
When you hear arch-vile moaning in the distance, you listen. And then the hidden wall opens up and you shit bricks.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
You seriously need to find a way to get a hold of the soundtrack. Quake 2 would not be anywhere near as awesome without it.

Also, the expansions are totally worth playing. Quake 4, not so much.

praetor

Arcane
Quake 2 wasn't "good". it was excellent

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom