Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I miss those non-japanese fighting games

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There was a Star Wars figting game on the PSX!
hqdefault.jpg

Mega shit. Think early Virtua Fighter but even clunkier. I borrowed it from a friend and didn't have the heart to tell him the game .
The only reason to remember it is that it has the most amusing name:

Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi

Anyone remember the precursor to MK ?:

Capital Punishment - never played this one, I just remember seeing the screenshots.
capital_punishment.png

70179-capital-punishment-amiga-screenshot-the-factory-2-players-game.png

This was definately good, my top 2 of Amiga fighting games. Kinda difficult though, I had troubles even with the very first enemy who can easily sent you into deathrap with single shot. And static screenhots do not do justice, graphics effect like moving shadows or fog during battle with shape shifter are amazing.

2nd Amiga exclusive worth playing is Fightin' Spirit, it's from european devs but looks exactly like some forgotten SNK gem.

Fightin_Spirit_23.png

fightinspirita.png

Apart from being the best, they're propably only Amiga fighting games worth playing. SF2 and SSF2T ports were utter terrbile, SSF2:TNC was good gampleay-wise but had extremely watered-deown graphics and both Mortal Kombat titles had mutilated control schemes due too lowest common denominator of their days -> one-button joystick owners :/

And another overlooked PC oldie, Battle Beast from 7th Level:

21723-BattleBeast.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Let's leave 1on1 for a while and brought some wersten beat'em ups. Try out dudes both Spiderman & Venom siblings: Maximum Carnage and Separation Anxiety (latted had even PC port), it's very close to japanese level of quality:

Spider-Man__Venom_Separation_Anxiety_GEN_ScreenShot3.jpg

Spider-Man__Venom_Separation_Anxiety_GEN_ScreenShot4.jpg

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Yie_Ar_Kung_Fu_%28MSX2%29.png

I had this on the MSX. Best fighting game in the world

round1.jpg

Had the PC version, only fighting game on the PC that I ever liked. Still remember details like Kage's mask would fall off if you roundhouse kicked him in the head etc. There was this drunken old man character that was really funny to play because all his moves were basically drunk.

Phinx

Augur
Can't really think of many western fighters that I enjoyed as a kid, if any actually. The closest thing to western that was good is TMNT Tournament fighters for the snes, being that the characters were created by westerners. This game had super moves before it was cool.

TMNTtournamentfightersscreenshot.gif

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Maybe if non-Japanese developers actually knew how to make a good fighting game...

Are there any good fighting games besides SF2, Japanese or western? Frankly, i can't remember many. Seems to me the genre peaked with that game and characteristically the Japanese tried to top its success by exaggerating every single aspect of it.
Yes. Fighting games, along with Shoot 'em Ups, are the two most refined genres on the arcade market. They have distinct niches and have only been getting better and better over time.

I enjoyed Weaponlord a lot. It had somewhat different fighting system than in most fighting games as far as I remember.

Also Tough guy from Taiwanese developer. Very good art in it. It was very Street Fightish.

Tough%20Guy_3.png

Borelli

Arcane
I have a "what is the name of that old game" question. It's a fighting game which i played on Amiga long ago, it was 2d and one of the character was a king with a sledgehammer, that's all i remember.(another character may have been saracen or indian)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Damn, Maximum Carnage was awesome, still have the catridge laying here! :D

Borelli

Arcane
:bro:This ... is it. First 30 seconds already stirred some memories. But i do not remember cartoonish graphics or the squeaky voices. Did this game had different versions?

:bro:This ... is it. First 30 seconds already stirred some memories. But i do not remember cartoonish graphics or the squeaky voices. Did this game had different versions?

That video was pretty shitty quality to be honest. But there are no different versions as far as I know. I guess it's just effect of Nostalgia, shitty sound system, different chipsets, small TV or something like that etc.;)

Better video, without choppy video and music.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Can't really think of many western fighters that I enjoyed as a kid, if any actually. The closest thing to western that was good is TMNT Tournament fighters for the snes, being that the characters were created by westerners. This game had super moves before it was cool.

TMNTtournamentfightersscreenshot.gif

The girl in the Japanese version is better.

Aska-us-win.gif
vs
aska-jp-win.gif

Fun fact: I live like 20-30 minutes away from T.Hawk's stage.

Could you explain what's up with the feathered Mayan warriors in the middle, then? It always bugged me, those guys sure as hell doesn't look Mexican, or native American.

I just asked my wife and showed her an image of the stage. She almost recognised the Hospicio Cabañas but still managed to pinpoint the location to Guadalajara. The dudes in the middle are dressed in the traditional indian outfit for the region and look Mexican enough for her; you can see many of them dressed like that on the Day of the Virgin in October. The people on the right side look out of place though, especially with the blonde hair.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I enjoyed Weaponlord a lot. It had somewhat different fighting system than in most fighting games as far as I remember.

I always wanted to try Weaponlord back in the day but never got it,it was considered pterry hardcore as far as I remember

Borelli

Arcane
No:oops:. I've only now clicked on youtube link and read the description. It's still exclamation worthy though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom