Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I miss those non-japanese fighting games

Shralla

Educated
Anyone remembers this piece of crap? One thing I liked was the visual style. I wish OMF 2097 looked more like this, it was a cool game but the robots were ugly as fuck.
119816-resurrection-rise-2-dos-screenshot-robots-selections.png

Nope!

10006943_10151931581632003_1179534186_n.jpg

Pretty sure that game is a beta they rushed out the door for a quick buck / Christmas /whatever. Everything about it felt unfinished, iirc there's no music and player 1 will always have to play as the cyborg dude on the cover. I actually like the robot designs a bit but they all had one or two moves.

In particular, the vast majority of computer opponents could be defeated by repeated use of a simple flying kick. Amiga Power described how review copies had only been released to the press a few days before the game went on sale, and concluded by stating that "it's probably because the graphics are [so] good that the game plays so poorly – every move the robots make takes so many frames of animation, and so much memory, and so many months of rendering with 3D Studio, that it simply wouldn't have been possible to make the gameplay any more complicated than it is." Davies highlighted a number of flaws, including the fact that the players could not turn around, the limited sound effects and music, and the static background graphics. Game Informer declared Rise of the Robots the worst game of 1994.

One of the earlier harbingers of the decline, basically. Weirdest thing? It got a sequel.

btw:

It did, however, receive a highly controversial 91% score from Computer and Video Games.

tumblr_mgkymxPiYN1r98fdvo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Western fighting games of the 90s often looked rad as far as character design and backgrounds go, but were complete and utter shit as soon as you started actually playing the game. Style over substance with shallow if not broken gameplay, aka :decline:
The same goes for platformers and shmups too. Especially in the 80s and 90s when the genres were more popular there were very few well designed Western ones.
When you look at Japanese games like Ikaruga, Rocket Knight Adventures, Castlevania, Mega Man etc, you can really see that the developers put a lot of thought into the level and game design. And also the technical details like the responsiveness of controls, jump arcs, hit boxes and stuff like that, the best Japanese games really nailed that stuff while even the best Western developed games (even though there were some gems like Turrican) never really ascended to that level where it's not just a fun game play, but an excellent game with great design. So what is it that made Japanese developers of the time more perfectionistic (or why the Western developers lacked ambition/game design know how in making console/arcade style games)?

I don't think the disparity between the two in console/arcade genres is that big anymore, for example Rayman Origins is simply one of the best platformers of all time and Naughty Dog made some very good games (Crash 1-3, CTR, Jak 1) too. But if you look at the best fighting games and shmups of all time, I don't think you'll find a single Western game from the top 25, especially in shmups.
Are there any good fighting games besides SF2, Japanese or western? Frankly, i can't remember many. Seems to me the genre peaked with that game and characteristically the Japanese tried to top its success by exaggerating every single aspect of it.
How many fighting games have you played? 5? There's a shit ton of good stuff out there from mid 90s-early 2000 with great 2D visuals and design on Neo Geo, Saturn, Dreamcast and arcades (mostly by Capcom). A lot of them are also quirky and mechanically inventive, like Jojos bizarre adventure. Dark Stalkers 3, Garou: Mark of the Wolves and Marvel vs Capcom 2 are some examples of the high peak of that era. When it comes to the zenith of fighting games, try anything by Arc System Works. That includes the Guilty Gear and BlazBlue series and Persona 4 Arena 1&2. Amazing 2D visuals and usually considered to be the most mechanically deep fighting games on the planet. Though you'll have to put in hundreds of hours into practicing if you want to understand and appreciate the depth of the mechanics. Or atleast read a lot of guides online if you don't feel like practicing false roman cancels.

When it comes to 3D fighting games, there's Tekken, Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter. The later Virtua Fighter games are often considered to be on par with Guilty Gear in depth.

Last edited:

Phinx

Augur
Okay I just remembered some western fighting games that I enjoyed as a kid:
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S
biofreaks_2.jpg

Mace - the dark age
mace-thedarkage-s5.png

War gods
245000-war-gods-nintendo-64-screenshot-kabuki-jo-doing-a-special.jpg

Last edited:

Shralla

Educated
I have War Gods too! And Dark Rift, which I don't think was very good.

5404-dark-rift-windows-screenshot-in-games.jpg

Phinx

Augur
I have War Gods too! And Dark Rift, which I don't think was very good.

5404-dark-rift-windows-screenshot-in-games.jpg

I recall hiring this game from the video store, but I can't remember much about it so most likely I didn't like it all that much either.

Shralla

Educated
I actually went back and played Dark Rift with a friend the other day. It was pretty awful. Most of the fighting games around that era were pretty awful. It really was truly the best that survived and kept going. Unfortunately only one of them was non-Japanese (Mortal Kombat), unless I'm forgetting something.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Anybody remembers a fighting game that ended up with a boss that seemed stolen directly from this dude:

Uighur_(Tetsuo_Hara).jpg

I remember playing it to death as a kid. Probably too shitty to be mentioned here, but i thought it had an interesting art and atmosphere.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Weaponlord, already cited in this thread? Or is it a different one?

No, that's not it. One interesting game mechanic is that you could turn remaining health into currency and buy some stuff with it. Weapons or extra health. Not much, but it added variety i guess.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Some of the other opponents were a dragon and some kind of scorpion guy. I remember the game was very short but the boss fight was hard as hell. Wasted a truckload of coins to finish it. Google is not help.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Ha, found it:

Like, wow, such memories, probably shit game.

I remember playing that game when I was a kid on holidays. Never seen a arcade machine with it again. I saw only the first few fights.

Note how humans and humanoids have non-gory defeat animations. I was very disappointing when I saw it because I was very impressed by the death animation of the lamia.

ColCol

Arcane
Holy shit, Battle beast was mentioned, what a blast from the past. Can't even remember where I used to play it at.

Anyone remembers Ninja Mission?

atari_ninja04.png

ninja_4.gif

It's too shitty to play it now (and it's broken as hell, just spam shurikens=win) but I've got some good memories from this game.

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone remembers Ninja Mission?

It's too shitty to play it now (and it's broken as hell, just spam shurikens=win) but I've got some good memories from this game.

I remember buying it for pittance for Amstrad and spending far too long to realize that you had to jump up to go to another level. It was called just Ninja here though.

ninja_d7_2.jpg

http://shoryuken.com/2014/06/22/bro...acquires-rare-primal-rage-ii-prototype-board/

Back in 1994, you couldn’t walk into an arcade without passing by a clump of eager gamers crowded around a Primal Rage cabinet. Looking back fondly on memories of this game, one might wonder why a sequel was never made.

One was–well, almost anyway. Atari started the project and created some test boards with early builds of the game. One such test board even spent some time at the Golfland USA arcade in Sunnyvale, California.

But instead of releasing as a sequel to one of the most brutal fighting titles in history, Primal Rage II went the way of the dinosaurs. Those who were concerned about the story of Urth and the fate of the Primal Gods that raged therein were given a novel titled Primal Rage: The Avatars to help tie up any loose ends, because the most important thing about the fighting genre is always the story, right?

Much of the information surrounding this ill-fated sequel is reminiscent of tales about Big Foot or Nessy, but here’s some information that won’t send you on a fruitless hunt for a mythical beast: Galloping Ghost Arcade in Brookfield, Illinois recently got their hands on an original Primal Rage II board. They have it in a cabinet and it works.

Check out the video below to see this relic in action.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom