Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I played Kotor 3 times and i kinda enjoy it still

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Yeah I finished my third playthrough last week and I still had fun.

Skyway, am I respectable yet?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Konjad said:
You have to complete it at least 7 times.

Working on it. Another playthrough is next in my queue, after I complete Drakensang2. I'm gonna go full-out dark side, this time. If I only could rape Bastila, and then have a 3-some with HK47 and Jolee.

Esquilax

Arcane
Much like a whole bunch of people in their early 20's, KotOR was the first RPG that I ever played. It blew my mind. I saw the list of dialogue options and instantly went apeshit: "HOLY SHIT YOU CAN SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT TO THIS GUY!?!?!?!" By the time I got to the plot twist, I was completely hooked. I think around the time I was fourteen, I may have played the game almost as much as skyway has.

Obviously, as I've gotten to play more games like Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Mask of the Betrayer, etc. I realized all those games did things far better, but KotOR has a certain charm that those titles don't because it's what led me down the rabbit hole to begin with. You never forget your first love, even if that first love might have a few extra pounds and a couple missing teeth. Yeah, there are better RPG's out there of course, but I fucking loved KotOR when I first played it.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I've probably player KotOR1 four times and I don't think I will replay it another one though.

I'm about to start my 8th playthrough of ME2 however. :smug:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Esquilax said:
Much like a whole bunch of people in their early 20's, KotOR was the first RPG that I ever played. It blew my mind. I saw the list of dialogue options and instantly went apeshit: "HOLY SHIT YOU CAN SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT TO THIS GUY!?!?!?!" By the time I got to the plot twist, I was completely hooked. I think around the time I was fourteen, I may have played the game almost as much as skyway has.

Obviously, as I've gotten to play more games like Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Mask of the Betrayer, etc. I realized all those games did things far better, but KotOR has a certain charm that those titles don't because it's what led me down the rabbit hole to begin with. You never forget your first love, even if that first love might have a few extra pounds and a couple missing teeth. Yeah, there are better RPG's out there of course, but I fucking loved KotOR when I first played it.

Also, KOTOR is Star Wars, but free of the new trilogy faggotry. That plays a big part in its enjoyability.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I also am taking a break from my replay of Kotor2 to play Jade Empire. :lol:

And Divinity 2 but that's not as respectable

Suicidal

Arcane
I also liked KotOR when I played it. It wasn't anything spectacular but it was a decent game. I've played it only once tho. I rarely play games more then once, even the ones I really enjoy, cause I always prefer variety in my entertainment.

Also I didn't like KotOR 2, which is generally considered here to be vastly superior, as much. To me it seemed like a very similar game except with a lot of annoying bugs. I've never even finished it too. Maybe I'll do it some time in the future.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
As a munchkin, i played KOTOR two times - black&white, soldier&caster.

It was the key to understand Bioware dialog design and appreciate Fallout a lot more. It is enjoyable though, in 12-year old, innocent way.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I got about halfway through KOTOR and then got absolutely sick of the shitty writing.

Esquilax

Arcane
jagged-jimmy said:
As a munchkin, i played KOTOR two times - black&white, soldier&caster.

It was the key to understand Bioware dialog design and appreciate Fallout a lot more. It is enjoyable though, in 12-year old, innocent way.

Great way of putting it.

I really would have loved to see Obsidian give a proper, finished version of KotOR II. I haven't played the Restoration Mod, though I've heard a lot of great things. I have to disagree with Suicidal, the sequel is a much different game than the original.

Where the fuck would a dev like BioWare make a character like Hanharr (a very interesting, incredibly creepy alternative to the banalshitboring Zalbaar), Atton, or Kreia? Let alone somebody like Kaelyn the Dove or as badass as One of Many. Obsidian, for all their faults, make characters with far more variation and dimensions than BioWare tend to, that's for fucking sure.

Yeah, the Salarian doc and Legion in ME2 were great and I didn't expect them at all to pull off something that cool, but they are drowned out in a sea of Carths and epic adventures in search for 4 Star Maps that permeate BioWare games. They were a big reason why I loved ME2 so much and why I place it as the best Bio game since BG2, despite the nonexistent overarching plot.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I played KotOR one time. Have no desire to ever play it again. Now KotOR II, played many times.

Esquilax

Arcane
Daemongar said:
Didn't Obsidian do NWN2, though? The characters in there (all except Bishop) were shit.

I was very surprised when I played NWN2, because the characters there were even shittier than the worst BioWare pukes. Why this game gets called "decent" and considered much better than Dragon Age, which is a very similar game, only better, is beyond me. Well not really, it's because the Codex hates BioWare games and the bad parts of DA:O is still fresh, but I digress.

Good point, though. I propose that during the development of NWN2, Chris Avellone was kidnapped by aliens and replaced by an alien pod person that looked exactly like him, but possessed none of his brilliance and only a fraction of the dreaminess. MCA fought his way out of the alien mothership, escaping right before he activated the self-destruct mechanisms, saving Earth in the process. He came back to work at Obsidian, but since MotB was already well underway, he only had time to create Kaelyn and Gann.

That's all I got.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Esquilax said:
I was very surprised when I played NWN2, because the characters there were even shittier than the worst BioWare pukes. Why this game gets called "decent" and considered much better than Dragon Age, which is a very similar game, only better, is beyond me. Well not really, it's because the Codex hates BioWare games and the bad parts of DA:O is still fresh, but I digress.
What? I'm pretty sure NWN2 is universally hated as much as DA:O. There's as much "Orc caves" scorn as "Derp roads."

Esquilax

Arcane
Mangoose said:
Esquilax said:
What? I'm pretty sure NWN2 is universally hated as much as DA:O. There's as much "Orc caves" scorn as "Derp roads."

I don't think so. In a recent thread a few pages back I think (too lazy to search), there's a thread on NWN2 OC and whether it's worth getting. Most folks said that it was better than DA:O. Not that either game is good, but fuck NWN2 OC is just dreadful.

Nael

Arcane
It hurts my soul that such a good game as MotB had to be a tied in sequel to NWN2. There's something in my brain that just won't let me play MotB without going through the pain of level 1-20 in NWN2 OC. I've considered getting professional help for this sort of masochism. As a result I've only played MotB twice since it was first released even though I'd love to have played it more. I haven't even done an evil play through of it yet.

:x

Esquilax

Arcane
Nael said:
It hurts my soul that such a good game as MotB had to be a tied in sequel to NWN2. There's something in my brain that just won't let me play MotB without going through the pain of level 1-20 in NWN2 OC. I've considered getting professional help for this sort of masochism. As a result I've only played MotB twice since it was first released even though I'd love to have played it more. I haven't even done an evil play through of it yet.

Ouch. That sucks man, I'm sorry to hear it. I couldn't bear playing the OC after that Trial where nothing fucking matters, so I just went straight to MotB and have just been playing that one since.

I was shocked that something good could have come from something so bad. I guess it's true, flowers do grow from shit.

I've played through both Kotor I & II only once and preferred the first one. I never would have guessed that it was written by the guy who wrote New Vegas and Torment. It seemed pretty bland at the time, and god knows I had already played and adored Torment. Perhaps if I had known that it had been written by Avellone I would have paid more attention. But I prefer that, not to have had any bias. That's why New Vegas took me by surprise, I didn't know what to expect from Avellone seeing that KOTOR 2 didn't cut the mustard for me (I never have played Motb nor Alpha Protocol yet).

Topher

Cipher
I played both KotOR's once and enjoyed them both. It's already been a few years now so I'll probably go back and play them again at some point in the next few years.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Esquilax said:
I don't think so. In a recent thread a few pages back I think (too lazy to search), there's a thread on NWN2 OC and whether it's worth getting. Most folks said that it was better than DA:O. Not that either game is good, but fuck NWN2 OC is just dreadful.

It is no where near as shitty as DA:O. I will never play that piece of shit again. NWN2, I'll continue to re-play every couple of years or so. I threw my DA:O DVD over my fence.

Strangely, the only Bioware games that I genuinely got engrossed with were "Jade Empire" and "Mass Effect". I can't say that I was blown away by them neither. I can of course see that Kotor 2 or BG 2 are better games but they just seemed really bland to me. It's the same for me sometimes with movies, music or novels. I can see why "Citizen Kane" is a better movie than "Lady from Shanghai" but I dug the lattest a lot more.
And no, I'm not putting Bioware stupidity on the same level as Orson Welles movies, it's just to point a fact.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Beautiful Clown Painting said:
I've played through both Kotor I & II only once and preferred the first one. I never would have guessed that it was written by the guy who wrote New Vegas and Torment. It seemed pretty bland at the time, and god knows I had already played and adored Torment. Perhaps if I had known that it had been written by Avellone I would have paid more attention. But I prefer that, not to have had any bias. That's why New Vegas took me by surprise, I didn't know what to expect from Avellone seeing that KOTOR 2 didn't cut the mustard for me (I never have played Motb nor Alpha Protocol yet).

Maybe that's because Avellone didn't write NV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom