Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I played Kotor 3 times and i kinda enjoy it still

Old One

Arcane
I played KOTOR 1 one time and a half. I didn't manage to get through it a full second time. I believe I stalled out once I got to Tatooine and realized the most significant thing to do there was to learn the history of the bantha jockeys. I wasn't interested in going through that again. That being said, I find KOTOR 1 relatively harmless and even a bit fun. KOTOR 2 is all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Just please no more games ever with any connection to any version of the NWN engines and their awful interpretation of d20 rules.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
When Kotor was released I was so starved for a Star Wars RPG that it didn't matter whether the game was complete trash or not, I played it on an iBook with a 32MB GPU, which might have scraped the low end of system req on a PC, but a Mac needed at least 64MB decent GPU. So the game ran like a slideshow, but I didn't care.

I still thought it was awesome! (at the time) and I played it at least twice through to the end. But it wasn't awesome, it was passable. It had so many many issues, from the derpy inventory and UI in general to some terrible clichés and questionable plot. It's just that at the time of release, none of that mattered to me, at all. It was a retarded console game, it still is, and it is the major reason for Bioware's reason to exist. Kotor resulted in ME and the doritopop.

Kotor was accidentally a proto ME/DA (looking back) and the Bioderps would refine that into what ME3 and DAI are today. The EA corporate line: Define a product, define what sells it, double down on that, refine and repeat.

But I can't deny I enjoyed playing Kotor that first time, it was amazing.

pippin

EA aren't entirely responsible of Bioware's mediocrity, just to be clear.

stray

Learned
Tbh, I remember being more pissed at Obsidian for Kotor 2. It was buggy/ending was borked. I heard they fixed it, but I didn't care. I did the same when Vamp: Masquerade first came out running like shit. Low tolerance for that stuff. Then NWN2 came out and I hated Obsidian further (everyone here seems to say it's expansion is good, but I never bothered). It wasn't until New Vegas that I changed my mind. Bioware may have been mediocre, but they were entertaining enough to me until ME3 and DAI.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Tbh, I remember being more pissed at Obsidian for Kotor 2. It was buggy/ending was borked. I heard they fixed it, but I didn't care. I did the same when Vamp: Masquerade first came out running like shit. Low tolerance for that stuff. Then NWN2 came out and I hated Obsidian further (everyone here seems to say it's expansion is good, but I never bothered). It wasn't until New Vegas that I changed my mind. Bioware may have been mediocre, but they were entertaining enough to me until ME3 and DAI.

DA2 was entertaining enough? Allrighty then! (wtf?)

It's about what a game is, not how it is at release. Which is quite irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, because a buggy game can be patched, but a glitch-free bad game is forever bad. Today we can enjoy Kotor2 and Vampire and a whole lot of games which were buggy or incomplete and enjoy them. It's quite irrelevant how they were at release.

pippin

Bloodlines is playable from start to finish with its official patch, the 1.2 version I believe.
I did a vanilla playthrough and had no problems. THe only sacrifice was Steam's overlay, but who cares about that shit.

stray

Learned
DA2 was entertaining enough? Allrighty then! (wtf?)

It's about what a game is, not how it is at release. Which is quite irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, because a buggy game can be patched, but a glitch-free bad game is forever bad. Today we can enjoy Kotor2 and Vampire and a whole lot of games which were buggy or incomplete and enjoy them. It's quite irrelevant how they were at release.

It was spiraling already, but I didn't have full-on distrust of the company. And in retrospect, I appreciate it even more. DAI's combat and tactical component is worse.. and for all the complaints about DA2's sparse maps, it''s not much better that DAI's world is a big world but full of shallow mmo type quests. The only thing better about it is the visuals and eye candy.

DA2's sidequests also still had a cinematic component, and often were storyarcs that spread across two or three Acts.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
and for all the complaints about DA2's sparse maps

The maps were pretty sparse in DAO as well, that was the least of DA2's issues.

da2ot-04.gif

"if you press a button, something *awesome* happens"

stray

Learned
The maps were pretty sparse in DAO as well, that was the least of DA2's issues.

da2ot-04.gif

"if you press a button, something *awesome* happens"

That's one class I can't compare with DAI. The rogues do all that jumping around too, but I don't know if it plays better or worse.

I know the AI for rogues suck though. Even archers flip around straight into the frontlines. DA2 didn't do that either.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I like KotOR. Played it several times because I enjoy being an asshole in it. Was going to play again this summer but then the KotOR2 update was released and I decided to wait to see if a KotOR1 update is coming.

Xeon

Augur
Evil on KOTOR1 kinda doesn't make sense.

I am playing it right now, my face is all dark and shitty from being on the dark side but none of the Jedi masters react to it, even the Jedi who are with me when I commit an evil act, they just comment about it being horrible or disgusting and that's it. Same things with Bastila, Juhani and Jolee. Even during the trial to become a Jedi, the Jedi masters asked me a few questions and caught me lying a few times and still nothing happened. I did a lot stuff to the locals and none of them I guess complained about me or reported me to the Jedi Council. Kinda shitty C&C.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Evil on KOTOR1 kinda doesn't make sense.

I am playing it right now, my face is all dark and shitty from being on the dark side but none of the Jedi masters react to it, even the Jedi who are with me when I commit an evil act, they just comment about it being horrible or disgusting and that's it. Same things with Bastila, Juhani and Jolee. Even during the trial to become a Jedi, the Jedi masters asked me a few questions and caught me lying a few times and still nothing happened. I did a lot stuff to the locals and none of them I guess complained about me or reported me to the Jedi Council. Kinda shitty C&C.

Because you are Revan, the ultimate sith lord that has jedi mind trick on 24/7 and can bend the will of even the strongest jedi masters, thus everyone in the galaxy thinks you are a good guy.

Xeon

Augur
Yea, I guess you are right. Just beat it. Game lacks a lot of reactivity or something to being evil but some of the evil choices are pretty great. The companions finally reacted at the end tho.

The Jedis finally stood up to me. Carth the coward ran. But man Mission's part was so good, forcing the wookie to kill her and she is begging him not to follow my command was pretty missed up and pretty good.

TripJack

Hedonist
murdering the cunts in your party is the first kotor's only redeeming feature, a shame you have to snore through 30 hours of shit to get to that point

animlboogy

Learned
Disney's marketing ejaculation got me in the mood to go back to KOTOR for the first time since the release window. 12 hours in, I'm having trouble getting the urge to keep playing it. The combat is boring, the characters are annoying, the main plot is paper thin... I liked this game a lot more when I was 12. Not sure if I can push through.

kris

Arcane
Was starting a playthrough of them both. Now that i play it again I really understand the complaints about the naggy characters. The funny or insulting thing being that you are constantly reminded that they want to talk with you, but then when you initiate a conversation it is instead turned around like it is you who is prying. "Carth has something to say to you".

Hilarious when you get to that sith party, weapon in hands. They talk about beer then everyone is lying on the floor. pussies.

murdering the cunts in your party is the first kotor's only redeeming feature, a shame you have to snore through 30 hours of shit to get to that point

Only a true codex virgin would murder chicks.

kris

Arcane
Sample conversation template:

Carth: 'Carth really wants to talk to you'
(Player starts conversation)
Player: Lets talk about you
Carth: Why do you want to talk to me so much!?
Player: Please tell me more about this thing you dont want to talk about
Carth: Sure, i'll tell about that, but only to a certain point for which we can continue after you leveled up.
Player: Cool story bro, look at me tentively and claim it is me who want to talk to you when ready.

Mission is exactly the same as Carth as far as this go. that said, Bastila conversations are actually more enjoyable than I remember.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I think it was worse with Carth, if only because his schtick is that he doesn't trust anybody, something that he'll constantly remind you of whenever you initiate dialogue with him.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
man you are really brave to play though these games i could not even finish kotor 1 or 2 once they were so boring...

man i look up on gamebanshee where i was in both games even though its been years

in kotor 2 i did nar shadadada, dantooine and onderon and i got bored during korriban

in kotor 1 i think i only did kashyyyyk thats the only 1 i remember doing but man...

those games were so boring man idk how anyone finished them :o you dont even do anything in combat...all you do is watch your gayboy jedi fuck shit up and all the companions are so annoying every single one of them.. and you're FORCED to take them... i hate forced companions -,-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom