Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I quit my job to go Full Time Indie!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you read any of the recent updates you understand the game art has been changed post-KickStarter. That was what the KickStarter was for to buy graphics and music.

Also, thanks for all of the "internet support" there. Have faith and we shall see wonders together.
Don't worry, we also shit on professional multi billion dollar developers. You got it easy. Good luck.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If you read any of the recent updates you understand the game art has been changed post-KickStarter. That was what the KickStarter was for to buy graphics and music.

Also, thanks for all of the "internet support" there. Have faith and we shall see wonders together.
Don't worry, we also shit on professional multi billion dollar developers. You got it easy. Good luck.

Here at the Codex, we believe in enforcing C&C.

Make shit choices, you get shit consequences, etc.

Alex

Arcane
Hey fellow RPGers

After seeing so many other posts similar to this I thought I should make my own thread about it.

Yesterday I quit my job to go full time indie. Currently, my 1st game is being finished and I'm quite excited.

{I wrote a blog post here.}

Please read it and let me know what you think.

I look for your wisdom and support in this huge life endeavor.

I don't really have any kind of advice for you, but I wish you the best of luck!

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
This would probably be a dumb move if you were 33, but you're 23. This is actually the time to do this sort of thing if you're going to do it. Just don't spend more than a year or two on this and be realistic. If you realize it's going nowhere, then start looking for a real job.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Good luck! As long as you have some useful skills it shouldn't be hard to find a new job if this doesn't work out, so the risk is not so great as some posters make it out. And if it does work out you're on the road to good things!

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The guy is black so that makes him way cooler as game developer than the regular chubby white nerd type.
Put some nekkid bitches and humping cars with big screen TVs in 'em in your games and you'll make millions.
Good luck, bro!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
LOL you guys are so nice.

Actually we are being nice.

Go check out the local BioEA/Bethesduh threads.

I gave you my constructive thoughts. I didn't say you should die in a fire or play in traffic.

theweirdn8

Educated
ROFL, I know it's just wonderful to see all of the different personalities in one thread.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just sad guys; I realize most of you probably work shit jobs or live in your aunt's basement (because you wanted to be independent and all that shit) but even if you or I are not the target for the game he is making (but seeing the animal farm numbers in Facebook there must definetly be a market for this sort of thing) who the FUCK are you to shit over the dreams of anybody? At least you are fucking faceless strangers and at least on of you that I am aware off (hey zwanzig) has already tried and failed with your developer dreams...so once again who the FUCK do you think you are?
I heard the same shit from my friends and even mother and sister when I set my own business and they would plead for me not ot quit a job I fucking hated to do the very same job by myself, only it would be me reaping the benefits...I am writing this on my fucking bed taking care of my hangover because of the christmas party of my fucking company which retaded liitle cunts everywhere told me would fail
The day you acomplish somehting other than shitting in your hand and rubbing your face in then you can talk.
Good luck on chasing your dreams theweirdn8

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Just sad guys; I realize most of you probably work shit jobs or live in your aunt's basement (because you wanted to be independent and all that shit) but even if you or I are not the target for the game he is making (but seeing the animal farm numbers in Facebook there must definetly be a market for this sort of thing) who the FUCK are you to shit over the dreams of anybody? At least you are fucking faceless strangers and at least on of you that I am aware off (hey zwanzig) has already tried and failed with your developer dreams...so once again who the FUCK do you think you are?
I heard the same shit from my friends and even mother and sister when I set my own business and they would plead for me not ot quit a job I fucking hated to do the very same job by myself, only it would be me reaping the benefits...I am writing this on my fucking bed taking care of my hangover because of the christmas party of my fucking company which retaded liitle cunts everywhere told me would fail
The day you acomplish somehting other than shitting in your hand and rubbing your face in then you can talk.
:butthurt:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you two fuck buddies?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Nah J_C apparently I am just butthurt :D
...And more than a little hungover sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities
Now go back and lay down the smackdown to EA with your posts I am sure they await breathlessly your viewpoints

zwanzig_zwoelf

At least you are fucking faceless strangers and at least on of you that I am aware off (hey zwanzig) has already tried and failed with your developer dreams...
Be so kind to quote me the exact post, because I don't remember writing posts about 'failed dreams of game development'.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Sorry about that zwanzig didn't mean to throw you under the bus, check out the never played Half Life thread where you ranted against Octavious and me for saying that Half Life was revolutionary if you want a blow by blow
I am doing the exact same thing you did posting in not the very best conditions...I would erase it but I like to stand by my decisions yeah that's C&C for you

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Everybody knows you never go full Indie. You went full Indie, man ! Never go full Indie.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Sorry about that zwanzig didn't mean to throw you under the bus, check out the Carmack quiting thread where you ranted against DraQ and me for saying that Half Life was revolutionary if you want a blow by blow
Ah, this I remember - I was educating your illiterate self about the gaming history that you can't learn by simply browsing Kockatoo, Cock Pepper Shogun and other retard camps.
Now be so kind to point me exactly at those 'dreamy' posts and the exact sentence.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It's in threads like these that I miss dnf.

As for you, OP, you will probably fail, unless your product is really, really good. Hopefully though, you will learn from your failures, and in a few years time, you will be well equipped to succeed in this business.

P.S Be sure to wear a fedora on every photo of yourself you display to the public, it greatly increases the chances of being covered by RPS.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Go read it yourself if you are so interested and the only thing I could learn from you would be how to haddle (quite badly I might say) the harsh reality of beign a fuckup
No going to be checking this thread anymore so don't let your fingers get in the way of your ranting, when in doubt bash your head against the keyboard...I get the feeling it will yeild more inteligent or cohertent ideas anyway

kris

Arcane
Hey fellow RPGers

After seeing so many other posts similar to this I thought I should make my own thread about it.

Yesterday I quit my job to go full time indie. Currently, my 1st game is being finished and I'm quite excited.

{I wrote a blog post here.}

Please read it and let me know what you think.

I look for your wisdom and support in this huge life endeavor.

I see...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom