Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I shall remain - another new zombie rpg in development

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.ishallremain.com/index.php

Jake writes in to introduce his project I Shall Remain, an indie "zombie survival RPG" currently in production. No doubt the subject will instantly draw comparisons with Dead State but this is a more combat-oriented experience based in a freely explorable city. Looking at the screens (which look quite nice), there seems to be a fully developed stat and skill system, although Jake acknowledges combat is central.

The official site is here and they have a Kickstarter page here to encourage funding - although the development is well underway, so this isn't one of those pipe-dream projects.

Here's the feature list:

A huge city to freely navigate. Hundreds of objects to interact with.
Recruit, equip and maintain men and to fight with you.
Use vehicles to navigate through the zombie crowds.
A compelling story of a young Marine written by Jacob Way.
Astounding visual art, sound effects and music.
Designed by a team that is dedicated to the game's players and their ideas.

The combat it real-time however. bleh. Though a fully developed stat and skill system is good to hear. There is a video on the website.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
They probably shouldn't include a scrolling testimonial section that is comprised of two testimonies.

I don't really like the idea of "exploring a huge city," because, with the amount of resources that they have, it is almost a guarantee that it will be comprised of copy-pasted road sections filled with little of interest. If I am right, there really is very little incentive to explore.

MCA
Camera is shit. You can't see far enough. It should be more like Take No Prisoners. It's especially a problem because when the camera pivot is near center of the screen with such a steep angle, displacement on the screen is magnified and that's is straining on eyes. But it generally looks shit anyway. I haven't played Trapped Dead but its gameplay videos look much better.

Somebody should fund the developer of Survival Crisis X to make it anew with RPG elements. That game did real-time combat in zombie apoc right.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
What's with all this zombie inflation in modern media? Seriously? :retarded:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's because zombies, like other post-apocalyptical themes, are super easy to work with. You don't need to worry about writing a complete setting, it's just: Society collapsed. Cities are in ruins. Survive now.

Deleted member 7219

This'll probably come out. Dead State won't.

marine_jake

Novice
hello everyone! my names jake.. and im the producer of I Shall Remain. First off, thank you for checking out the website and leaving some real and honest feedback for me to find. this is my first game production and i want to do it right.

i started making this game when i was deployed overseas with the marines. i didn't have any kind of experience making games.. i took my savings and said, lets make a zombie game! i really wanted to do a zombie game because i played dead frontier and knew someone could make something better. for instance, in dead frontier you have to press the 'w' key for days to get to the other end of the city. so in mine we're going to have vehicles. also.. our game doesn't crash, at all, unlike dead frontier. right now we have a problem where after our guy throws his grenade his animation goes all over the place but we don't release until January so we have plenty of time to fix it!

villain of the story- i really like what you brought up about the camera angles. do you have any suggestions? we did over the head view because i used to play GTA2 when I was a kid and loved it. i wanted to do an adaptation of that style. the camera automatically zooms out when your vehicle picks up speed but that's about it. i see what youre saying about the camera movement being magnified. ive played my game a lot and it hasn't' strained my eyes but it remains something i will talk about with my team.

responding to Ed123, the game does have a lot of combat once your outside of the game's safe haven. i'm going to talk to my guys about creating some slower paced missions/ areas in the city. i didn't know folks wanted something like this. good to know! we're months away from being finished so we have the capacity to change some things. also, the city is kind of small now in the beta version of the game.. its growing every day and every part of it is different. you might see some of the same textures or road patterns but each time its used its used in a different/creative way.

Aldebaran- yeah, very good point. I need to get some more up. would you be interested in testing a beta for us? i'd love your feedback!

Angelo85- thanks for pointing out trapped dead. don't worry we're definitely not a clone of them. especially because nobody on our team has played that game. it looks like trapped dead's graphics are way better than ours. a difference in game play ive noticed is that our teammates do more on their own.

anyway about the vaporware thing, we're definitely going to release that's for sure!
:)

marine_jake

Novice
also! if you've played any zombie games lately let me know what sucked so can be sure to not make the same mistake! why was take no prisoners so bad?

best
jake

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Surf Solar said:
What's with all this zombie inflation in modern media? Seriously? :retarded:

these things gravitate and and feed off each other and form peak densities

see superhero and 'epic' history movies,etc

we might well see a new cyberpunk videogame genre

cost of duty: corporate warfare

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
sgc_meltdown said:
bros this one looks inordinately receptive

wear the nice gloves

I always wear my nice gloves. Except when SAKAMOTO is the topic of discussion. Which, fortunately, he never is on RPGCodex.

marine_jake said:
i started making this game when i was deployed overseas with the marines. i didn't have any kind of experience making games.. i took my savings and said, lets make a zombie game.

Yikes, that's quite the risk. I hope you have some kind of back up plan. At any rate, I hope your project is successful.

marine_jake said:
villain of the story- i really like what you brought up about the camera angles. do you have any suggestions? we did over the head view because i used to play GTA2 when I was a kid and loved it.

I thought that there might be some GTA influence there when I first saw it, but I wasn't sure.

Aldebaran- yeah, very good point. I need to get some more up. would you be interested in testing a beta for us? i'd love your feedback!

Thanks for the offer, but I kind of doubt that I would have much time for it since University is starting to pick up.

Judging by the video on the website (start of the demo), i think that:
*camera is waaay to high, everyone is so small.
*If music is from the game, then it is too epic, like in Lord of the Rings or something.
*monsters yell too much and too loud. And wtf is that girlish/Jokerish scream like on 1:37?
*Shotgun sound is too weak/silent.
*Why there is an A-bomb icon in inventory? Or is it just for rockets/rocket launchers?
*Streets look too clean.
Good luck with the project, it looks fun-made. :thumbsup:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
marine_jake said:
anyway about the vaporware thing, we're definitely going to release that's for sure!
:)

Welcome to the codex marine_jake, since we have an open registration policy here, to let you know bluntly, that means all sorts of dumbfucks post crap here and will post crap about you and your game, so just keep that in mind. It's not rocket science to see the people genuinely offering you feedback and people being dumbfucks. Just FYI.

My feedback, I like the idea, but the real time combat turned me off. If you suddenly made this turn-based I'd be more interested. But good luck on your project.

Also we call every game vaporware until we can actually play it.

Jake, if Jaesun is +1 for turn-based combat, then I am +1 for real-time one. Just FYI.

Also, did you know that Jaesun is gay? I mean, not like it's bad, but... Just FYI.

MCA
No, TNP wasn't bad at all. It was awesome.

marine_jake said:
villain of the story- i really like what you brought up about the camera angles. do you have any suggestions? we did over the head view because i used to play GTA2 when I was a kid and loved it. i wanted to do an adaptation of that style. the camera automatically zooms out when your vehicle picks up speed but that's about it. i see what youre saying about the camera movement being magnified. ive played my game a lot and it hasn't' strained my eyes but it remains something i will talk about with my team.

Camera angle was fixed in GTA 1&2. I can't imagine many people would have the stomach to play either if camera rotated all the time as your car also did. My suggestion is to make it more like Take No Prisoners:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZ-6FXV-nY

PC at the bottom of the screen, with two or three options to change the tilt angle slightly. You could also add a function to pan the camera back temporarily, to check what's behind you without rotating the camera. Might be a nice touch if the PC turned his a little backwards too, as in checking his back.

Alternatively, a Survival Crisis Z approach would be lovely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCu4KI4_ ... re=related

You can move around with keyboard and aim and shoot with mouse, so you can move in one direction and shoot in another simultaneously. If you haven't before, go play it. Now. It doesn't get any more actiony and gory than that.

You could do something similar for camera and controls (sans the isometric perspective, though that would also be lovely). Move with keyboard, aim and shoot with mouse. When you want to rotate camera, hold, say, RMB and move mouse. Fast and robust.

Great attitude, btw.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oriental European said:
Jake, if Jaesun is +1 for turn-based combat, then I am +1 for real-time one. Just FYI.

Also, did you know that Jaesun is gay? I mean, not like it's bad, but... Just FYI.

How about you just keep your shit posts in GD there hon.

MCA
Jaesun said:
My feedback, I like the idea, but the real time combat turned me off. If you suddenly made this turn-based I'd be more interested. But good luck on your project.

Have you played SCZ, Jaesun? If not, give it a try. It's like RT zombie game done right.

Also we call every indie game vaporware until we can actually play it.

Fixed.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
villain of the story said:
Have you played SCZ, Jaesun? If not, give it a try. It's like RT zombie game done right.

No. I hate RTS' Give me fucking Turn Based or GTFO.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I watched the videos and it looks p. cool.

Also, real time combat is the way to go for this sort of game.

Btw, could you tell us about your team a little bit? Or mb point to a blog post about it, or a diary, or interview. How did it all start? Whom do you have in you team? Where did you find them?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
have you decided on the price yet marine_jake

that should help us narrow down the scope of the feature list

I also suggest playing http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/ and think about how you want to differentiate your game from something free like that and have something that fans of that will buy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom