Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I shall remain - another new zombie rpg in development

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
banal boring shit, acolyte teepo
return to your meditations

Teepo

Scholar
I was just waiting for Marine_Jake to discuss more of his game before spamming more things I like in RPG's.

I have been on this site since they released the teaser for Fallout 3, you know? You know!? But you've been on here since 2003. That must feel like eons now.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
that's nothing my son, Crispy is 40

that means he was a teenager in the 80s when The Police's Every Step You Take was a new smash hit and Phil Collins had just begun his career

he was there when the first star wars movie was released man

one of the chosen, that crispy

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
marine_jake said:
Having a safe place ('Sanctuary' our safe haven) to go and kick around, figure out what to do and then venturing back out into the hells of the city.

Like a shelter of some sort.

Teepo

Scholar
I must return to my cigarettes and weed before derailing the thread.

marine_jake

Novice
answers to your questions!

Hello Friends! I'm sorry it took me a couple days to get back. I see there were a lot of questions, I'll do my best to answer them all.

First off, our priority is not to make an MMO. An MMO is just a goal thats out there to look forward to. We will only make it if there's enough demand. What I'm still talking to my team about is creating a map, character and item editor and letting the public have fun with it. That will be later on, I think opening the game to user generated content will be way cooler than an MMO.

In any case, we will immediately make a multiplayer game as soon as our single player is done. We haven't done any work on it yet because we're still trucking away with the single player game. Because we haven't started work on it, if you guys would like to see anything in it let us know! The floor is open!

andrzej - Thanks for your comments on the camera movement. With your criticism and others on this threaed we're going to change up the camera. I'll post a video once its done (within a week or two) and see if you guys like it more.

Yes, our zombie sounds are not where we want them to be now now but I've just gotten a really good sound resource that we're going to update the zombie sounds from. The product we got to update our sounds is here: http://boomlibrary.com/boomlibrary/inde ... icle&id=27 It is SICK!
The guys who made these sound effects did a really good job. I look forward to using them for our zombies.

You also asked about random generation, maps, missions etc. Well, we dont have randomly generated maps. We have to build each one on our own. But there are missions that are random. Its going to work like this- There will be campaign missions where you can follow a story, and there will also be random missions. You can do either how ever you want but in order to progress in the game story you might have to do some random missions to boost up your skills before taking on the harder campaign mission.

Our stat skill system is the pride of the game. In this game, you dont get to pick stats when you level up. Instead- how you play the game will say how you level up. If you use shotguns a lot, your character's skills with that weapon will increase. Carry a heavy pack? Your strength will increase. RUN! Your speed will increase over time. We wanted to break away from the way most games have been going with level up systems. There is also a complex 'doctrine' system thats similar to reading books in EVE online. There will be skills you can learn from books, battlefield journals (ex. Rommel's War Diary will increase your skills at driving a tank) and other read-y things. ALso, there will be trainers that will send you on missions that will increase specific skills. So, theres a LOT of ways to go.

M4BE1R0- see what I wrote at the beginning regarding the MMO. Basically it's a goal we have written in pencil.

villain of the story - Im going to PM you with a link to a youtube video. Once we change up the camera this week we'd like to see what you think. I'll post the link in this thread too.

Teepo- You've nailed it! What I dont have is the unique encounters. We are definately going to do this now as per you and Aldebaran's advice. What we can't do at this point is have a map full of just lone hermits you learn skills from. What's important to us is 'Sanctuary,' the safe haven of survivors. Sanctuary is important for gameplay and for our story and is where there will be everything from trainers, dealers to mission agents. Sanctuary's ability to survive is the goal of all the uninfected people on the map. Thanks for your comments on possibly becoming an apprentice. Check out my response to Andrezj where I covered our game's level up system.

Something cool we want to do that's kind of like the encounter is having a bandit's den. Not everyone in the post apocalyptic world is going to be a good guy. Somewhere in the city we'd want the hideout for the bad guys who aren't zombies. Some special missions can come from them- but most importantly there will be the gambling arena. We plan to implement a module that lets you capture zombies, bring them in and make them fight other zombies and then bet on them. If you manage to capture a zombie boss, id bet a lot of money. : )

We have a lot of loot and weapons but we don't have a lot of vehicles. We will make more with DLC's but currently there is a car, a jeep and a tank. In the first release of the game this is all we'll be able to do. If there's enough people playing it you can be assured there will be lots of new vehicles.

sgc_meltdown - does your SGC have anything to do with stargate command? I just finished watching an episode of SG1 and your handle made me think of that. In our current beta state, our game balance is off and I pretty much do everything I can to get a machine gun. Dont worry though when we're done its not going to be like that. Balancing the game is a very high priority for us once we have all of the game mechanics in.

The editors of this site invited me to write a monthly journal about my game development. If you guys want me to cover anything specific let me know! If not I'm going to start from the beginning and talk about managing a software team. I'll have some very good lessons on leadership in it. Being in the military I think I have a unique perspective on leadership that I bring to the game development scene.

MCA
Tough luck. I don't see any commercial viability to this tbh. Other games do individual elements better.

Still waiting for that link to the new camera video, btw.

MCA
That is SOmuch better, makes quite a difference if you ask me. Now just add the "look back" function so the player can pan the camera back to see what's behind without rotating the camera. But you should still leave the old screen-centered camera in as an option for those who'd like to have it.

Something else that bothers me about turning about is that the PC looks like a puppet while doing it. An animation transition would be sweet ie. if you're facing north and rotate the camera to south, maybe the player character shouldn't immediately face south and immediately be in sync with the new camera angle but take a slight time to turn himself. And maybe, only really turn to the new direction when you start walking or shooting etc.

One more thing: regardless of camera's positioning, an option to temporarily pan the camera further in any direction would be lovely. Hold down pan button and move the mouse to pan in the direction. What the distance limit would be, I can't say. Release the key, camera moves back to the character. May also replace the "look back" function I suggested but having a single quick button to check behind would always be good.

marine_jake

Novice
Hello! First.. special thanks to Villain of the story for his generous feedback.

Feedback on this that has made what you see possible. Sometimes a writer has to have his work proofread because he can't see his own mistakes, the same goes for the game designer.

Currently, our Ctrl button on the right side of the keyboard isn't being used. It's easy to reach from WASD and just one below the SHIFT key which makes the character run. The Ctrl button could be used for a 'look back' function. I think this adds a bit of realism to the game.. since when do we get to see everything around us without moving our head?

Also, it should be pretty easy to put in a delay with the character's movement, I think this can look really good. I'll be posting up a second video when this is done. It wont be right away though because we're working on a game demo that we will release very soon.

I'm not sure how to add in a key that can change the camera placement/angle that can be easy to reach. We're running out of keyboard keys. Off the bat I can think of the mouse wheel but not everyone has a mouse with a button/wheel. We're going to to think about this one some more.

Thank you all for your time. Your help is going to contribute greatly to our success.
best,
jake

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Very nice looking game. It reminds me of Van Buren for some reason.

Troika Games Untitled Post-apocalyptic RPG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzYmQyHl2bc

The 3D art work is very nice, but the 2D interfaces look like programmer art. I assume they are just place holders for now?

Here's an interview with a guy that got more pledges on Kickstarter with nothing working. I suspect sending out press releases and making a propaganda movie that inspires people, is the way to do it for now.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3745 ... _Scene.php

Zombie shooters are not my kind of game, but that engine of yours has the potential to make the kinds of games I like. I'm very jealous.
:)

MCA
marine_jake said:
I'm not sure how to add in a key that can change the camera placement/angle that can be easy to reach. We're running out of keyboard keys. Off the bat I can think of the mouse wheel but not everyone has a mouse with a button/wheel. We're going to to think about this one some more.

Just remember one thing: just because you are giving an option doesn't mean It's The Way It Was Meant To Be Played(tm). That's why it's called an option. If someone finds it useful, he or she will use it anyhow.

BTW, the key configuration is fixed? :?

BTW, if you started working on feature updates, I think you might have a better chance with getting pledges.

marine_jake

Novice
When the game is released you'll be able to do anything you like with the keys. For the demo though they will be fixed.

snoek

Cipher
Hello Jake. Looking great so far. Love the visual direction as well. Think the look behind button is a great idea as well! Good luck with your further endeavours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom