Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I shall remain - another new zombie rpg in development

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It could go somewhere, but so far it looks like a clunky combination of generic concepts within a glitchy engine.

Meanwhile, on RPGWatch...

Character-centered camera. → thanks to the feedback from users on RPG watch, we killed that bad idea. We scooted the camera back so you can see further in front of you, and not so much behind you.

villain of the story said:
What what what? I single handedly compelled you at Codex to change the camera and now it was RPGWatch all of a sudden?

:lol:

Codex is the tattooed girl who takes your virginity but never gets to meet the parents.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think our mention and dissapoint of any good core CRPG mechanics might have made him leave....

marine_jake

Novice
my apologies!

Hows it going gents, sorry I didn't think anyone was still talking about my game here! I'm glad to see theres continued interest. Thank you for that. First, I apologize for misrepresenting RPGwatch in my article. It was of course the users here on codex that drove new development. I will correct this in the next article I write. One more article has already been submitted and is pending, so it will be the next one.

A lot has happened with the game since I last posted. I've uploaded a new video with some of the latest developments here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDev0-3e-S0 . It's really coming together. In the next weeks we are going to really let the cat out of the bag and release a demo.

Thanks again for your continued interest, I'll keep this thread bookmarked and answer any questions.

Best,
Jake

MCA
Camera clipping right through buildings and entire walls disappearing feels cheap. Like using a no-collision/clipping command in console.

One possible solution might be to cut buildings in half vertically at just above character height and fade away the upper part. Shouldn't be too much work, I think.

marine_jake

Novice
Yeah I see that, also when they do this the shadows in the game change. Thanks for your input! I'm going to bring this up in our meeting this week.

MCA
You should just appoint me as the project leader instead. Design by committee is not doing you any good. You're so green, you're doing such simple but critical mistakes unacceptable for a quality demo. Development speed of this project would skyrocket off the charts like a mutant baby ripping its way out of her pregnant mother's womb and then cutting through the entire security staff in the locked down hospital.

it%2527s%2Balive%2Bbaby.jpg

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
It looks even better in darkness Jake. If you get yourself a good writer, you could turn it into an awesome single player RPG. Consider doing that, after you release this game. I see so many great looking games that are "yet another forgettable shooter". So much potential is wasted and it would take relatively little additional effort, to add an RPG on top of these shooter type games later on.

marine_jake

Novice
Dont let the video fool you Davarius, the game is an RPG. Albeit combat is everywhere the real heart of the game is the growth of the main character into a leader of men. We have great writing, our problem as of late though has been voice actors. Most of them don't do so well and can make a game cheesy. Luckily, our main character in the demo's voice actor was a former MP in desert storm so make our radio chatter fantastic. I look forward to working with him again.

No Villain, you do not get to be leader. You have to be nice to people and manage ideas. I think you'd sick an alien on everyone in the team within the first week and end up with nothing.

"You had a crap idea, so im taking your baby."
stargate_2kindred1.jpg

Teepo

Scholar
I dont think voice acting is needed personally. Especially for the demo. Get all the dialogue out first then select a few that need to be voice acted. Just make sure the dialogue is sincere sounding. It's not too hard to fake sincerity.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
marine_jake said:
Dont let the video fool you Davarius, the game is an RPG. Albeit combat is everywhere the real heart of the game is the growth of the main character into a leader of men.

Everyone has their own definition of what an RPG is, so if you have time and are curious as to what I mean by RPG, play a game called Fallout >1<.

In Fallout 1, you can play variations on the diplomat, soldier, or thief archetypes and complete the game in different ways, depending on your chosen skills. That is what made the game re-playable and is part of why it has cult status. The game is turn based and looks very old fashioned these days, but is as close to the ideal, as I have ever seen.

I wouldn't recommend you try to make a game as complex as Fallout on your first try, that way madness lies.

MCA
marine_jake said:
No Villain, you do not get to be leader. You have to be nice to people and manage ideas. I think you'd sick an alien on everyone in the team within the first week and end up with nothing.

"You had a crap idea, so im taking your baby."
stargate_2kindred1.jpg

This is why the world needs villains.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Is this guy for reals? A marine sergeant who was overseas and is 30x times nicer than the Codex?
Albeit villain does have a substantial point, I'm impressed
Although real time zombie killing is only fun in day of the zombie

marine_jake

Novice
Yup, its true. Ive been in the Marines for 4 years now, producing this game out of my barracks room. I hope what I do can show that people can create something cool in any situation, in any economic climate.

32188_1273336045184_1583400151_30581979_679508_n.jpg

Quite inspirational, jake, and certainly a high quality product you have in the works. You are one of the few 'indies' who give off the impression that they are motivated to take it all the way.

Are there any other areas in which you are currently lacking aside from voice acting? Is that your music playing in the background or just free license filler? Are you all set for graphics/writing/world design etc?

marine_jake

Novice
Thanks guys! Right now we're about to release the demo and we will play it by ear depending on its reception. If theres enough support we will go all in, think multi player, a huge free roam city. If its small we will release make the game free and sell DLC. We're a small team so we're doing the writing ourselves. We're getting pretty good at it but we don't have any experts. If you know of anyone please send them our way! : )

Teepo

Scholar
Cool picture.

Davaris said:
marine_jake said:
Dont let the video fool you Davarius, the game is an RPG. Albeit combat is everywhere the real heart of the game is the growth of the main character into a leader of men.

Everyone has their own definition of what an RPG is, so if you have time and are curious as to what I mean by RPG, play a game called Fallout >1<.

In Fallout 1, you can play variations on the diplomat, soldier, or thief archetypes and complete the game in different ways, depending on your chosen skills. That is what made the game re-playable and is part of why it has cult status. The game is turn based and looks very old fashioned these days, but is as close to the ideal, as I have ever seen.

I wouldn't recommend you try to make a game as complex as Fallout on your first try, that way madness lies.

Most certainly. You should check out your favorite RPG's and try to emulate what they did with their limited resources.

marine_jake

Novice
haha someone else, you know what.. actually yeah if i get KIA theres no more salaries for the software team and so theres no game : P! dont worry, i have a pretty safe job now.

a quick blurb about the RPG style of the game. Theres no archetypes in the game, instead how you play the game effects how you level up. Say you wanted to be a sniper, if you use only rifles your character will be better with them over time.

Same thing with other attributes, carry a pack and run.. your character will become stronger. Run- a lot, and your character's endurance will be better. Everything is affected by -how- you play the game.

There is also something called 'doctrine,' which is anything you can learn from something written down. Say you find Field Marshall Rommel's Diary, you will get a Stat bonus after reading it for your tank driving skills. (expect tanks in the full version : )! )

MCA
Gawddamn no, please, NO! Not that shit again. Blank character + Use-based is no go. Give us a headstart choice with individual skills and don't play on our OC habits to grind.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
marine_jake said:
Yeah I see that, also when they do this the shadows in the game change.

See if your engine has a way for using different LODs for shadow casting. In AoD, we tell the PSSM shadows to look for a low, simple LOD which is used to render the shadows. This LOD has the full shape of the building, so even if part of it is hidden (like in the case you are having), the PSSM shadows are looking at the simple model and the shadows don't change.

marine_jake

Novice
Dont worry Villain, you still get a LOT of choice with Doctrine. You get a selection of 2-5 doctrines each time your character gains rank which will have a significant impact on the characters development.

MCA
You sure have a hard-on for doctrines, don't you, being in the army and all. I bet you fancy yourself a good rape too. Doctrine of rape. I bet you only got a team of volunteers helping with the game because you raped them before.

Tell us, will we be able to rape anyone in the game? With or without a doctrine?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom