Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I wanna scares

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Penumbra: Black Plague also also toyed with your perceptions in a delicious way

DraQ

Arcane
Amnesia dropped a major ball in regards to its scariness, because pretty much all its scares were transient, tightly scripted events.
Where in Penumbra scary-shit-out-to-kill-you existed and persisted in the gameworld, capable of moving around and going after you, in Amnesia the levels themselves were 100% safe and empty except when the scripted event occurred forcing you get into a closet and just calmly count the seconds until the threat walked away and despawned, so that you could get back to derp around safe and unmolested.

It's a shame, because all in all Amnesia *was* an immensely atmospheric game.

Penumbra: Black Plague also also toyed with your perceptions in a delicious way
Also this.
:love:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Dead Space 3 is shit in general but it has the best scary/disturbing level in the whole series:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dead Space 3 is shit in general but it has the best scary/disturbing level in the whole series:

I hate to be offensive like this, but... if that video was meant to demonstrate how "disturbing" that level was, you failed. Badly.

Try this video from Thief: Deadly Shadows for the Shalebridge Cradle for comparison. (Start at 3:00 for the real thing.)

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I hate to be offensive like this, but... if that video was meant to demonstrate how "disturbing" that level was, you failed. Badly.

Well everyone finds different things to be "disturbing". I personally don't get any scares from ghosts, whispering children's voice and random dark places. The asylum of Vampire Masquerade did nothing to me. FEAR 1's jump scares did nothing to me. I also don't find any "horror" in any movies about ghosts and haunting houses.

The Dead Space 3 monsters, which are degenerate cannibal humans that howl like hyenas and craw around like monkeys, are very "disturbing" to me.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So what happened to OP, did he dieded from the scares?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Where in Penumbra scary-shit-out-to-kill-you existed and persisted in the gameworld, capable of moving around and going after you, […]

Aren’t there a few instances where going through a door will despawn a monster in Penumbra? I’m not too sure but I recall instances where exiting a room would spawn a monster in the corridors but going back into the room and then into the corridor would despawn it, giving you safety until you spawn another monster through your actions.

Sadly, monsters in Penumbra 2 aren’t very dangerous and deal very little damage. That makes them less frustrating, compared to the baddies of the first, but it also removes a bit of the scary parts when you know they can’t really hurt you. At least their noises and apperance are garish enough to make you want to flee.

Also, nobody mentionned Infocom’s The Lurking Horror yet?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Aren’t there a few instances where going through a door will despawn a monster in Penumbra? I’m not too sure but I recall instances where exiting a room would spawn a monster in the corridors but going back into the room and then into the corridor would despawn it, giving you safety until you spawn another monster through your actions.

Sadly, monsters in Penumbra 2 aren’t very dangerous and deal very little damage. That makes them less frustrating, compared to the baddies of the first, but it also removes a bit of the scary parts when you know they can’t really hurt you. At least their noises and apperance are garish enough to make you want to flee.

Also, nobody mentionned Infocom’s The Lurking Horror yet?

Those dogs, mang. Fuck those fucking dark dog cages. Can't remember if they are in 1 or 2. But they definitely kill you dead.

Grim Monk

Arcane
http://www.moddb.com/games/cry-of-fear

The horrors of Swedan. Nightmare invasion of multiculturalism: the game.

Why is it that "Cry of Fear" gets exposure:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/cry-of-fear.69665/

But :mad: not "Afraid of Monsters" which preceded it and was better in every way...
http://www.moddb.com/mods/afraid-of-monsters

The Dev/Modder :decline:ed at doing everything except improving the visuals (yet vastly worsening the aesthetics) in making his "True Vision"/"Masterpiece"...

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Those dogs, mang. Fuck those fucking dark dog cages. Can't remember if they are in 1 or 2. But they definitely kill you dead.

Yeah, dog cages are in 2. One of the most intense fucking moments in that game.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Cry of Fear.
(heh it was actually mentioned just above. Didn't really dig Afraid of Monsters though).

Amnesia and Silent Hill 1-2. Might try Deadly Premonition for fun, seems to get mixed reviews, but any comparison to Lynch immediately grabs me. Fatal Frame, maybe. I can vouch for Cthulhu.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom