Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It's also possible that you scared him off so badly that he doesn't even want to get paid for fear of getting more work offers from you, just wants to shrink into the bushes and pretend he never knew you. :lol:
Maybe he hates your style, maybe you bombarded him with emails/chats/voicemails, maybe you said "i want to make an rpg, have no skills"...

Probably this. If I would find out someone who "has no skills" decided I was worthy enough to build his software for him, I would run too.

As the project will invariably be a failure, he could already reckon that either a) even if he'd receive the first 200 bucks he would not get paid for the bulk of the work, or b) he would be the schmuck that does all the work himself and gets a small share of the profit, perhaps, sometime

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you are that close to done, I'd just finish it with your own art, even if it's shitty and then hope that someone will offer to redo your art.

Oh, it's shitty all right. I will take your advice and just continue making my own shitty art assets. Maybe he'll respond some day, otherwise I'll just keep an eye out for a new pixel artist.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Actually he requires Pizza and Pepsi as a bare requisite if I recall correctly. Perhaps his tastes have changed, I don't know.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Let me see if I get this right. You want to make games, but you don't want to get a job in the industry, you just want to make your own games independently, and you don't want to gain experience/skills/contacts in the industry first like most indie devs either. You basically want to be the next toby fox or eric barone. Have I understood correctly?

Hmmm I started making games as a hobby. With absolutely no contacts or other involvement in the fabled "Game Industry", doing everything by myself, I managed to release a 4 year project (also had a day job at the time) on Steam. It's doing fairly well. I'm currently developing my next game since I have taken game development full time.

I understand what you are trying to communicate there, but it's not either 100% failure or Toby Fox. There are some shades of gray gay in between.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Time for a fourth update video. As promised, I refrained from making another video until the first town was playable.

If you're willing to spend the time, GMS 2 is a place for amateurs to start.

It's also possible that you scared him off so badly that he doesn't even want to get paid for fear of getting more work offers from you, just wants to shrink into the bushes and pretend he never knew you. :lol:
Maybe he hates your style, maybe you bombarded him with emails/chats/voicemails, maybe you said "i want to make an rpg, have no skills"...

He actually responded right after my last post in this thread; apparently he was just busy. If he doesn't have time to complete this project I'll just find someone else; it's not like I'm asking people to produce the pixel art for free.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Time for a fourth update video. As promised, I refrained from making another video until the first town was playable.

If you're willing to spend the time, GMS 2 is a place for amateurs to start.

He actually responded right after my last post in this thread; apparently he was just busy. If he doesn't have time to complete this project I'll just find someone else; it's not like I'm asking people to produce the pixel art for free.

Usually, having the first 2 completed levels means you are halfway done, so it is a good time to start getting the word out indeed. Why use programmer art over free art. There might not be much available, but I started with open game art.

for exemple
Asset list
This is a list of all base assets packaged for Liberated Pixel Cup.

Characters and base

female_walkcycle.png

female character template / walkcycle

female_hurt.png

female hurt animation

female_slash.png

female slash animation

female_spellcast.png

female spellcasting animation

male_walkcycle.png

male character template / walkcycle

male_hurt.png

male hurt animation

male_slash.png

male slash animation

male_spellcast.png

male spellcasting animation

princess.png

“princess” example character

Also comes with a source XCF file.

hairfemale.png

female hair examples

source XCF file

hairmale.png

male hair examples

source XCF file

male_pants.png

male pants (should be layerable over walkcycle)

male_slash_pants.png

male pants, slashing (should be layerable over slash spritesheet)

male_spellcast_pants.png

male pants, spellcasting (should be layerable over spellcast spritesheet)

male_hurt_pants.png

male pants, character hurt (should be layerable over hurt spritesheet)

soldier.png

“soldier” example character

soldier_altcolor.png

“soldier” example character, alternate color

Outdoors

bridges.png

bridges

dirt.png

dirt

dirt2.png

dirt 2

grass.png

grass

grassalt.png

grass (alternate)

hole.png

hole

holek.png

hole, black

holemid.png

hole, mid lightness

house.png

house tiles (external)

mountains.png

mountains, cliffs, walls, and slopes

signs.png

signs

rock.png

rocks

treetop.png

tree tops

trunk.png

trunks

waterfall.png

waterfall

watergrass.png

water and grass

water.png

water

Building indoors

inside.png

house tiles (internal)

cabinets.png

cabinets

country.png

country furniture

kitchen.png

kitchen

stairs.png

house stairs

victoria.png

victorian furniture and decoration

Sewer / Dungeon

dungeon.png

dungeon tiles

brackish.png

brackish water

cement.png

cement

cementstair.png

cement stairs

Lava

lava.png

lava

lavarock.png

lava rock

Objects

barrel.png

barrels

buckets.png

buckets

chests.png

chests

cup.png

the Liberated Pixel Cup

Creatures

bat.png

bat

bee.png

bee

eyeball.png

floating eyeball

ghost.png

ghost

pumpking.png

pumpking

slime.png

slime

small_worm.png

small worm

big_worm.png

big worm

snake.png

snake

man_eater_flower.png

man eater flower

Castle
Note: we love these castle tiles, but note that they’re a bit trickier to view as examples... some of them look like they have perspective lines, but that’s actually a reflection of more complex geometry in the building. In general, it’s better and easier to stick to simpler geometry that won’t give this kind of illusion.

castlewalls.png

Castle (interior)

castlefloors.png

Castle floors (interior)

castle_outside.png

Castle (exterior)

castlefloors_outside.png

Castle floors (exterior)

castle_lightsources.png

Castle light sources

Misc

frame.gif

LPC homepage frame

lpc_home_cup.gif

LPC homepage artwork

shadow.png

shadows

Table Of Contents
This Page
Quick search
Enter search terms or a module, class or function name.

Documentation and assets dual licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 and GNU GPL version 3 or later.
Code released under GNU GPL version 3 or later. Source available.

I had to ask one of my contractors a dozen times to get his invoices, so this kind of things happens, especially if they are busy with another project.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Okay, I made my first executable for distribution. The game is still very primitive and ugly, but I'm going on holiday soon and wanted to get this out first. I am all ears for any criticism and advice. The battles need a lot of work, the character graphics are ugly, and there's no sound. Still, you can play through the first town.

You have 3 time units, completing quests causes the time to run out. When the time counter gets to zero (it's in the top left corner), you will immediately be booted to the end screen. I plan to put a brief delay and a "time's up" animation so this process isn't so abrupt.

http://keksociety.com/Theseus/Theseus.exe

If you're confused, press "I" to get to the character sheet. It has a help tab, but basically it's WASD to move, space to talk, and use the mouse to click dialogue and buttons. If you're done talking to someone, just walk away from them.

Usually, having the first 2 completed levels means you are halfway done, so it is a good time to start getting the word out indeed. Why use programmer art over free art. There might not be much available, but I started with open game art.

Lots of good art, thank you. I found some buttons and other things that I plan to implement once I get back.

I'm starting to learn it's extremely difficult to estimate progress. I might get lucky and find a really great art or sound asset in a few minutes, or I might just be browsing around forever and writing messages to contractors. As for programming, it depends on how cruel and difficult the computer is feeling.

The writing is about the only thing I can reliably estimate, along with self-created art assets... assuming I don't get stuck in the office or working over the weekends.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom