Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Icewind Dale in ToEE Engine: the first chapter demo beta or something

Mustawd

Adding new 3d animations unfortunateĺy are currently beyond our modding capabilities

Why is that? Just haven't focused on it? By the way, I'm learning blender to make my own D&D 3.5 mod. Any suggestions on map making?

Allyx

Savant
Why is that? Just haven't focused on it? By the way, I'm learning blender to make my own D&D 3.5 mod. Any suggestions on map making?
The plug-ins we have written to convert 3d models from 3ds max/Blender/Anim8or to ToEE's .skm format work, but exporting the animations to .ska format don't... for some reason (that stuff is way beyond my area of expertise).

As for making maps, I'd suggest creating a 3d map in another game (Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind or Dungeon Siege 2 for example) then importing the map to Blender, converting to an isometric view at 45° angle and export that as a 2d .bmp file which can then be resized, and split into 256x256 pixel sections (world builder does this function) and put into ToEE.

World ed is required to define areas that cannot be walked over, adding clipping data, containers, doors, monsters and loot, it also is used for assigning the ground material sounds (snow/wood/grass/dirt/stone etc...) when the characters walk on them.

Mustawd

As for making maps, I'd suggest creating a 3d map in another game (Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind or Dungeon Siege 2 for example) then importing the map to Blender

You mean for ease of use? Meh, I'm going all the way and making my own maps from scratch. Thanks though. I had thought about doing that with NWN mods, but I decided against it in the end.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How easy is with the current tools to create a module? Let's say, without adding anything else except new maps. Are there tools available for dialogue and scripts?

Allyx

Savant
The dialogue files can be edited in notepad, scripts too but perhaps better to use pycharm for those, most of my scripts are simple copy/paste jobs, ToEE has plenty of script examples to copy from.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The difficult part of the ToEE engine is the rendered backgrounds (when making new content). The rest of the framework is however solid.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I was asking because the rendered backgrounds are the "easy" part for me. But I wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to put such backgrounds to use. Not that I'd ever have the motivation to do it, even if I did know.

Mustawd

There's documentation on the Co8 website. Although, I wish it was more organized tbh.

Allyx

Savant
FeelTheRads there are a number of frequently requested classic modules that keep cropping up in forum posts at the Co8 boards, if making maps is your thing, there would be many people interested in helping turn them into playable adventures. Against the Giants would probably top the list of most requested new modules.

Allyx

Savant
Here is one such thread at Co8 to illustrate my previous point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom