Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Icewind Dale in TToEE Engine Total Conversion - Prologue Demo Released

hell bovine

Arcane
That said, easily 95% of the content is in the demo build I have currently, I want to get those shaman to cast another spell that currently doesn't fire and a few NPC's need their inventories sorting out, then we have a few superficial bits to clean up, resting movies, and the Chapter One slide, soundtrack adjustments for Kuldahar Pass' maps, localised sounds for specific areas, and I want to alter how the doors in Easthaven and Kuldahar Pass operate.
What about the spellcasting (or rather, the spell selection)? Are you using ToEE's spellbooks, or implementing spells from IWDEE? IWDEE includes a lot of spells from BG2 that weren't in the original IWD, and as a result are quite overpowered, especially since enemies don't use them.

Allyx

Savant
There are spells that are in IWD that aren't in ToEE, and vice versa. A shining example would be the scroll of Chromatic Orb in Pomab's book case upstairs' in his Emporium, Chromatic Orb neither exists in ToEE, or (to my knowledge) in 3.5 ed D&D so I have substituted it for a scroll of Color spray - a similar level spell of an offensive nature.

As far as enemy spellcasters AI is concerned, (only the Orc Shaman, Everard and Accalia so far) I have kept in mind their original spell selections, and used those spells where possible in their AI routines, and added additional spells to complement those spells, and take advantage of their situation. I could give an example but don't want to post spoilers before the release.

Allyx

Savant
"SCS treatment"? Forgive me but I don't understand that reference.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
SCS = Sword Coast Stratagems is a mod for BG and BG2 that overhauls enemies and bosses AI.

Allyx

Savant
Ah ok, well yes, I'm overhauling the AI, but also using elements of the original IWD game.

Original IWD enemy types, class levels, equipment and related feats, and placements on the map are being recreated 1:1. I have in every case exchanged piles of gold coin loot with equipment to loot and sell (EG. IWD's Orcs with a 'natural AC' of 14 and 6gp instead have 10 natural AC, Hide Armour or equivalent and a Buckler, with their Battleaxes or Short Bows and Short Swords and a few copper coins - if you want the gold, you need to sell the loot).

Monster attributes are being brought up to 3.5ed standards (those Orc Axe swingers earlier, instead of 9's in every stat have 17 str, 11 dex, 14 con, 8 wis 7 int, 6 chr and on a critical hit can smash you for 30+ hp of damage).

I have added enemy waypoints to make them wander around a little, just to make each play through a little less predictable, and of course adapted spellcasters AI routines with a wider range of spells, while still taking their original spell selections in mind.

hell bovine

Arcane
Not too familiar with those either but prebuffing could be adopted at least.
I've not added enemy pre-buffing yet, but I am considering it.
I can only second Grunker: do iiit!

Enemy pre-casting buffing spells is what makes the SCS mod shine. While giving all enemies short duration buffs can be debatable, having spellcasters use those long duration buffs (like stoneskin) make sense. It evens the field (after all, your own party usually comes prepared) and makes combat more challenging. There are instances where the enemy does know you are coming, e.g. the Yxunomei fight, in which case you could consider also adding short duration buffs.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Fourthing prebuffing :)

Also don't forget that you can have the AI casters prebuff their companions, not just themselves.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
While giving all enemies short duration buffs can be debatable

Debatable because of "immersion" I suppose, but in terms of gameplay, I think short duration buffs is the most important part of SCS. The short duration buffs often have the most unique and seldom seen effects, so they're often the reason why SCS encounters differ so much.

Been a long time since I played ToEE though I did play it three times, so I don't remember if there is the same distinction between long, medium and short duration buffs quite like in the IE-games. But if there is, I certainly recommend Allyx and the team to make use of them all to diversify encounters.

By the way, I have no faith that a project as ambitious as this will ever see the light of day, but man, if it does... I will be playing that shit until I lose my job over it :D

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Re. short term buffs
If you want to be saintlier tham the pope, you can hinge those on successful listen checks and/or alertness states.

hell bovine

Arcane
While giving all enemies short duration buffs can be debatable

Debatable because of "immersion" I suppose, but in terms of gameplay, I think short duration buffs is the most important part of SCS. The short duration buffs often have the most unique and seldom seen effects, so they're often the reason why SCS encounters differ so much.
Oh, I agree; I always play SCS with all prebuffing options on. But at the core of it, BG (nor IWD and ToEE) aren't strategy games and I can understand why some players view it as immersion-breaking.

Re. short term buffs
If you want to be saintlier tham the pope, you can hinge those on successful listen checks and/or alertness states.
Alternatively, you could let the player choose, though I'm not sure this is doable within the game. SCS lets you pick whichever option you prefer during the installation (no pre-buffing, only long lasting buffs, all buffs).

Allyx

Savant
Everything needed for the demo is in already, there are a few bits that need tweaking here and there, and a couple of other NPC's need to be added, I have the last week of the year off work so I can put in some overtime to get everything working as it should be, it will be ready by New Years if not soon after.

We have a modified version of TFE-X to check if IWD is installed before the module will activate, Sitra Achara has been working on getting it working for the many versions of IWD as possible.

I have just one question. The main theme is in, right? Just listening to it makes me want to reinstall the damn thing:

Also, I second short term buffs only if it makes sense (enemy knows you are coming right now), use long duration buffs and sequencers for else.

Allyx

Savant
Yes that main menu theme music is in, as is the Easthaven outdoor music and most of the ambient sounds, I will add the localised ambient sounds soon for the fishing paraphernalia and lake water sounds. I also need to add the music and ambient sounds for Kuldahar Pass.

Allyx

Savant
It would seem I have missed the proposed 1st of January release date, but all that is left to do for the demo as it currently stands is the localised sounds in Easthaven as mentioned previously, and clipping the map dimensions.

Allyx

Savant
Well I was hoping to release it yesterday, and it is practically ready now. I am uploading a new module package (1.1gb) now which is practically done, all the content is finished, and just a few bells and whistles to polish off remain.

I'll release that as a public beta version, and work on the maplimits and localised sounds after. I am keen to get feedback on our efforts so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom