Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ICY: Frostbite Edition

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Well even having a list like:
¨ A B C D E F G Reward
A X X
B X X
C X
D
E
F
G

Tier

(and so on) would be good.
At this point, I'm at least doing that, thank you for the suggestion, we actually forgot about that.

And I'll put some FAQ at the end of the pitch, to answer to issues like the DRM-free one.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah found a image of what i meant:
cc238dbae2cb88d6217b1d2ba09113fe_original.jpg

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
OwNathan I would say please do not have a name poll during your indiegogo.

(1) It risks being perceived as rudderless, not sure about your direction. This isn't rational, of course, because renaming your game doesn't mean anything about how good you are at making games, but it just invites thoughts like "they can't even..."
(2) If you finish the poll during the campaign and announce the new name, it also confuses a lot of people - you are backing for XYZ, previously known as Icy! Crowdfunding is all about communicating your project clearly and memorably to the world.

It would make sense to do it after, or before.
Normally I would agree with this, but frankly, you are asking for a very small amount of money and something with a personal touch like that might help.

I think I'd still do the "fun" name poll even if you decide to keep Icy.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ok, read through the whole pitch now. Seems pretty good. You guys have a lot of art ready to go and I think that really helps with crowd funding. I think you should provide some high resolution versions of it, maybe do that as an update or just make the images link to high res versions.

I would consider removing the last paragraph though. You don't want to tell people their money won't be wasted, that just makes them think about money being wasted instead of your cool game ideas. It also comes across a bit whiny.

I also don't love the what caused the world to become a white wasteland paragraph. It seems like the kind of thing you have to play the game to find out.

Gonna watch the video now.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
I also don't love the what caused the world to become a white wasteland paragraph. It seems like the kind of thing you have to play the game to find out.
Well, consider that those are legends, not the actual truth. But I will think about removing it or making the phrase more vague.

tuluse

Arcane
Well, consider that those are legends, not the actual truth. But I will think about removing it or making the phrase more vague.
Yeah, I think a small re-write could help a lot. Something like, "there are a lot of theories and legends, some people thing this, other people think this, but you'll have to play for yourself to found out everything." I'm guessing the player doesn't learn everything of course, so not exactly what I wrote.

It's not awful, and if someone is reading that far into your text pitch, you're probably doing well to convince them anyways.

Watched the video, it's pretty good. I would like to think you should easily get the goal you're asking for, but these things are hard to predict.

You might want to mention that the game is inspired by Neoscavanger. It's not super popular, but I think it has a cult status and if someone really liked it they would be inclined to support a similar game.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Yeah, I think a small re-write could help a lot. Something like, "there are a lot of theories and legends, some people thing this, other people think this, but you'll have to play for yourself to found out everything." I'm guessing the player doesn't learn everything of course, so not exactly what I wrote.

It's not awful, and if someone is reading that far into your text pitch, you're probably doing well to convince them anyways.

Watched the video, it's pretty good. I would like to think you should easily get the goal you're asking for, but these things are hard to predict.

You might want to mention that the game is inspired by Neoscavanger. It's not super popular, but I think it has a cult status and if someone really liked it they would be inclined to support a similar game.
I was going for this: "No one knows exactly what happened, even if there are countless legends about the apocalypse. Some says it was a war, others says there was a cataclysm, but all the stories are different. What is certain is that a cloud of dust is still up there in the atmosphere and no one in the Frozen World has seen the real color of the sky."
Does it sound weird or just badly put together?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Need help with proofreading, like last time?

Edit:
How about:
"No one knows exactly what happened, though the legends are countless. Some say it was war, others say there was a cataclysm, and all stories differ. What is certain is the cloud of dust still in the atmosphere, and the forgotten color of the sky."

tuluse

Arcane
I was going for this: "No one knows exactly what happened, even if there are countless legends about the apocalypse. Some says it was a war, others says there was a cataclysm, but all the stories are different. What is certain is that a cloud of dust is still up there in the atmosphere and no one in the Frozen World has seen the real color of the sky."
Does it sound weird or just badly put together?
I feel like learning the different myths about what happened should be part of the pull of the game. Giving too many examples in the pitch undermines that. So, I'd want to include a hook about needing to play the game to find out more of them.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Need help with proofreading, like last time?
Theoretically our editor checked them, but he may have missed something and any help or advice is not only appreciated, but it will be repayed with our warm and sincere love.

I feel like learning the different myths about what happened should be part of the pull of the game. Giving too many examples in the pitch undermines that. So, I'd want to include a hook about needing to play the game to find out more of them.
So, something like this?
"No one knows exactly what happened, even if there are countless legends about the apocalypse. Some says it was a war, others says there was a cataclysm, but all the stories are different. What is certain is that a cloud of dust is still up there in the atmosphere and no one in the Frozen World has seen the real color of the sky. Will the player have the chance to uncover the truth behind those legends?"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also in case you miss the edit:

How about:
"No one knows exactly what happened, though the legends are countless. Some say it was war, others say there was a cataclysm, and all stories differ. What is certain is the cloud of dust still in the atmosphere, and the forgotten color of the sky."

tuluse

Arcane
Theoretically our editor checked them, but he may have missed something and any help or advice is not only appreciated, but it will be repayed with our warm and sincere love.

So, something like this?
"No one knows exactly what happened, even if there are countless legends about the apocalypse. Some says it was a war, others says there was a cataclysm, but all the stories are different. What is certain is that a cloud of dust is still up there in the atmosphere and no one in the Frozen World has seen the real color of the sky. Will the player have the chance to uncover the truth behind those legends?"
Yeah, I like that better.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Yeah, I like that better.
And it's done!
Also in case you miss the edit:

How about:
And that's done too. Are you sure you aren't interested in working as editor?

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
How important is exploration in this game?
Well, travelling is not that easy, since you consume food and may have dangerous encounters, and there are some hidden places out of the common routes that the player can discover. It's not very important, and that's because you move on a 2D map, but there are secrets to discover anyway.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
How important is exploration in this game?
Well, travelling is not that easy, since you consume food and may have dangerous encounters, and there are some hidden places out of the common routes that the player can discover. It's not very important, and that's because you move on a 2D map, but there are secrets to discover anyway.
ok did you consider adding a non limited higher tier? I'm not sure how much money people tend to make on indiegogo but it might be a idea to add something. Maybe something like a digital reward where you can have a random npc name / item (object).

Also have you been in contact with the press / youtubers and things like that?

tuluse

Arcane
Found a typo in the $10 tier. WAW should be WAV.

Of course, you guys should probably do FLAC instead of WAV anyways (lossless compression, exactly the same quality for 1/2 the size).

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
ok did you consider adding a non limited higher tier? I'm not sure how much money people tend to make on indiegogo but it might be a idea to add something.
It's hard to determine how many people will go for the higher tiers, but if they will run out we will add some more, with different contents as rewards (we can't do 300 NPCs' portraits and place them in the game so easily).

Also have you been in contact with the press / youtubers and things like that?
We have some contacts, despite the fact that Icy isn't a game easy to sell. The italian press will probably give us some space, since there are just a few italian developers and people tend to be nationalist around here.

Found a typo in the $10 tier. WAW should be WAV.

Of course, you guys should probably do FLAC instead of WAV anyways (lossless compression, exactly the same quality for 1/2 the size).
I'll fix it. Thank you.
And yes, you're actually right, we going to provide the FLAC version of the OST.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Well, you might want to update it to FLAC in the rewards then.

And yes i can understand that you can't make 300 npc portraits. I'm not sure how the game is coded, if there are random friendly npc's. But a higher tier where they get to make a character name / item (object) / town name as a digital reward might be a good idea. I just looked over other kickstarter campaigns and while it can be hard to know what people will select. By the looks of things the things that get selected the most are: Basic digital, basic box, Mid box, mid digital. With the area between basic / mid having lower and higher tiers having lower. Ofc it depends on the rewards also.

Did you try youtuber's? I'm not sure how done you are but it might be a good idea to get some kind of early inhouse alpha out to known youtubers that get 50 000+ views. But its up to you guys.
Its a good idea to have a lot of press releases ready for when you allow people to back the project.

In general the start and end of the campaign is where you will get the most money unless you have some very interesting updates.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Well, you might want to update it to FLAC in the rewards then.

And yes i can understand that you can't make 300 npc portraits. I'm not sure how the game is coded, if there are random friendly npc's. But a higher tier where they get to make a character name / item (object) / town name as a digital reward might be a good idea. I just looked over other kickstarter campaigns and while it can be hard to know what people will select. By the looks of things the things that get selected the most are: Basic digital, basic box, Mid box, mid digital. With the area between basic / mid having lower and higher tiers having lower. Ofc it depends on the rewards also.

Did you try youtuber's? I'm not sure how done you are but it might be a good idea to get some kind of early inhouse alpha out to known youtubers that get 50 000+ views. But its up to you guys.
Its a good idea to have a lot of press releases ready for when you allow people to back the project.

In general the start and end of the campaign is where you will get the most money unless you have some very interesting updates.
We hope to release soon a playable prototype, so that could be the interesting update in the middle of the campaign. It will only feature a single hour of gameplay and some contents will be temporary cut out, but it should be enough to get some interest.

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow, glad to see you've decided to do a pre order (sort of). I have to say the prices are modest and I will definitely contribute.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
OK, backed. Good thing Indiegogo allows paypal, it would have been annoying to have to register a credit card on yet another portal...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom