Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ICY: Frostbite Edition

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Backed.

I have to say that the setting and art direction are pretty good. Looking forward to playing it :)

Branm

Learned
Hmmm I'lll back it...Indogogo so will probably need all the help we can get. In theory the codex alone should be able to fund this.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Thank you guys for your support! Let's see if this time things go better than the Zaharia Kickstarter.
Thank you for the news!

They should let dcfedor play the current build and give us his impressions. Its got a Neo Scavenger vibe.
Let us polish it a little more, then we'll surely send it to the press and, probably, release a free demo too.

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh my, this looks interesting. But damn, the physical edition is really cheap. Are you going to get any money out of that?

Gave you a vote on Greenlight, will dothe same on GoG as well and probably throw some money at the IndieGoGo campaign once I get home from work.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Oh my, this looks interesting. But damn, the physical edition is really cheap. Are you going to get any money out of that?

Gave you a vote on Greenlight, will dothe same on GoG as well and probably throw some money at the IndieGoGo campaign once I get home from work.
Consider that it will be a simple DVD box with a really nice cover, a small manual, two DVD slots (one for the game, one for the OST) and a magnificent poster that will feature an artwork and, if we can get it printed on two sides, the whole map. With Zaharia we had the chance to have a nice boxed edition, but right now it would cost us too much, simply because we'll do a small order of them. Those editions will be an Indiegogo exclusive, we won't print more of them, so at least they will be unique pieces. I think we will order something around 100 copies, so it will be something quite limited.

eXalted

Arcane
Nice artwork. Loved the Unity part of the video. Would love some video dev diary!

Backed.
:takemymoney:

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Would you seriously like us to talk on a gameplay video? We can do that but the result could summon pizza and pasta all around you.

kris

Arcane
Frozen World setting will be the core of all narrative and gameplay and it couldn’t just be anything else.

When it comes to world building in games and for that matter movies always had problems understanding some things. Ice world is one of the foremost, many also have problems with deserts, but lets forget that. So I was surerly interested to see in your setting and if you seem to understand things about ice, snow and winter...

The world is in a permanent winter and there are a lot of different consequences on human life.

I hope you dont mean the entire world? If that is the case there is only one consequencefor human life,it will end. Anyone sitting on a huge stash och conserved food will survive longer.

On the biological side, humanity had evolved to live in temperate climate ecosystems and, thanks to the progress, had been able to adapt to different climates. But what happens when most of the progress you achieved just collapses, leaving nothing but ruins behind? Our society depends on things like electricity, internet, roads and industry creating most of the goods we use in our life. But when the humans on the planet are less than a million people and most of them are forced to live with a nomadic lifestyle those things cannot just keep working.

Amount of people is largerly irrelevant. It is more whether there is any infrastructure less or any habitable place around. I am not entirerly sure why we would be nomads? Isn't it more likely that we would all migrate to the only habitable places near the equator?

Humans can no longer practice agriculture, because most crops need proper sources of heat and light, which are now unavailable. When you can’t grow your own food, you’re forced to abandon a sedentary lifestyle and start travelling around the world, searching for beasts to hunt and plants to gather. Obviously, not all the knowledge from the pre-apocalypse era was lost, and the luckiest survivors who found an energy source or a proper shelter were able to create a settlement. Those settlements are nothing compared to our massive cities, because are small communities rarely hosting more than one hundred people.

Are we saying there are edible plants? But plants that can't be cultivated? Are we digging into and under the snow to find old frozen crops? I mean you are talking about a world that seemingly was frozen many years ago, something needs to grow somewhere or we'd all be dead. If something edible grows then those small settlements or something should be able to grow it.

A new society was born out of this context: nomad and sedentary people often interact to exchange resources. The nomads are able to find a lot of ancient relics when travelling around the world and scavenging the ruined buildings searching for pre-apocalypse useful object is one of their primary activities; they also have the possibility to constantly hunt, gather some food then move again, in order not to deplete all the resource in one single area. A nomad group can be composed of just five peoples, but bigger groups can go up to one hundred folks who survive thanks to their big herds providing them meat and food. Those people need to travel every day to find new pastures, since the harsh climate condition doesn’t provide much food to their animals.

On the opposite side, sedentary people usually have one or more resources to barter with travellers who visit them. Some settlements are completely self-sufficient and they trade their surplus goods, others heavily rely on trade to provide supplies to their inhabitants but usually have some important resource to barter, like weapons or tools. Life is easier in a settlement, but it’s always a hard life. Sedentary people must work most of the day and live in constant fear of being attacked, since the richness in all settlements lures all kind of bandits. Living as a nomad is even harder, because they struggle every day for survival and many danger lies on their path: wild beasts, snowstorms, bandits. All nomad activities are characterized by an ever present danger: while hunting a wolf pack can attack the hunters, the scavenger searching a building may die in a collapse, every night the temperature drops and without a proper shelter people may freeze to death.

clearly I can't force you to explain this, but I surerly would want to know how exactly this world is. Is there only a small band of tundra or lands were thing grow near the equator? Or is the world not really frozen, maybe just in a ice age and you play as nomads at the edge of ice lands? (second goes against the notion of only 1 million humans left) Why are there patches of plants around?

Sedentary people must work most of the day and live in constant fear of being attacked, since the richness in all settlements lures all kind of bandits. Living as a nomad is even harder, because they struggle every day for survival and many danger lies on their path: wild beasts, snowstorms, bandits.

I'll tell you who really struggle for survival!
- That would be the wild beasts, scarce food for years and most being protected by humans! I'd be surprised if there is a single wild beast alive when in contest with humans. I am pretty sure greenpeace wont be around to stop us from killing them all in the first year.
- Snowstorms is the biggest myth of the "ice planet". Truth is that there won't be much snowfall in a frozen world because there won't be much moisture rising in the air and creating clouds. Wind would be a killer though.
- Bandits? LOL.

It is the line "different legends". i would set this game no more than a year after it became cold and follow people living on the edge of the part of the world that still has civilization. Following people who march into the winter to find things that they exchange for food with the still standing civilization or settlements nearer the equator or at least something like southern europe/USA. Nomads with herds would imply there are still warm places on the planet that things still grow on. While seasons don't really matter nearer the equator, there sure could be a big area of tundra or stepp-like terrain near the permanent ice that you can drive herds on.

Now if you guys really think the whole world is completely frozen and that anything still lives after several years then you really just don't know what you are talking about.

In the end though, the unwashed masses understand as little about this as anyone, so you could just ignore this and pretend it is a fantasy world.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hope you dont mean the entire world? If that is the case there is only one consequencefor human life,it will end. Anyone sitting on a huge stash och conserved food will survive longer.
There are people who live in places on the Earth where there is permafrost.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe do an update for the Zaharia kickstarter backers? 720 potential customers there, and it's been nearly a year since the last time you pestered them. ;)

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Backed, I am now "head of family". And since the devs are Italians we know that kind of "family" that is. :)

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Maybe do an update for the Zaharia kickstarter backers? 720 potential customers there, and it's been nearly a year since the last time you pestered them. ;)
We'll do it, but not right now. We may use some more visibility during the next weeks.
Backed, I am now "head of family". And since the devs are Italians we know that kind of "family" that is. :)
Sadly we can't invest our criminal earnings in videogame development, at least not all of them, so we need to something to cover our shady business, like starting an indiegogo campaign. We don't want the cops to become suspicious.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
kris

They mention that "Most of the Earth is covered with ice and snow, and the land suitable for living is only a quarter of what it used to be." in the indiegogo pitch, so it seems like atleast some part of the earth is still warm. Also in an earlier update there was a mention of nomads carrying medical herbs with them. So some plants must still be growable? Most of the trees seem to still have their foliage intact as well, which is a bit weird.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
They should let dcfedor play the current build and give us his impressions. Its got a Neo Scavenger vibe.

From what i read it looks promising. If it has a NS vibe all the better. Before i commit to an amount a Codexian impression of the current built would be great. I have some reservations about the campaign though, specifically the amount asked. I thought there was at least one zero missing there. How much inproving and bugfixing can possible be done with 2500 dollars? Thats a few days pay for a decent programming gig. With indiegogo there is no reason to set the bar so low, since you get the funds anyway?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
With indiegogo there is no reason to set the bar so low, since you get the funds anyway?
They did fixed funding. It's just like ks, you only get the money if you reach the goal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom