Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ICY: Frostbite Edition Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Icy; Inner Void Interactive

Inner Void Interactive's ICY: Frostbite Edition, an enhanced edition/remake of 2015's post-apocalyptic Ice Age survival RPG ICY, was successfully greenlit for release on Steam back in May. It took a little longer than expected, but today the game was released on Steam. Here's its launch trailer and description:

SURVIVE THE WHITE WASTELAND

ICY is a narrative-driven post-apocalyptic survival RPG set in a new Ice Age, where your life and the lives of your followers depend on every decision you make. Create your own character, using a detailed stat system that influences your abilities to hunt, travel, scavenge, communicate and lead, then begin a journey of survival across the White Wasteland.

It is up to you to take on the responsibilities of leadership and guide your newfound nomad family in their fight for survival. Do not take your role lightly, for each decision you make, each word you speak, ripples through the life of your community.

Take heed, for you and your clan are not alone in this frozen world. In addition to the elements and the wildlife you encounter, there will be loners and bands of miscreants to deal with. Decide carefully on whom to trust and how to react or the snow covered landscape will become your icy tomb.

FEATURES
  • Experience an intense story of survival in a unique post-apocalyptic new ice age setting.
  • Influence the plot with your choices, with numerous shades of morality that lead to multiple endings.
  • Lead a group of survivors, each one with different needs, values and ideals.
  • Scavenge for items and hunt for food while facing the challenges of starvation, illness, harsh elements and other bands of survivors.
  • More than 400 pieces of detailed hand-drawn artwork that portray the bleak and dire landscape of the frozen world.
  • Customize your character by choosing how to distribute attribute points among 9 different skills that affect your abilities and experience through the entire game.
  • Enjoy the new combat system offering a mix between a classic turn based combat system and a trading card game.

If you'd like more information, Inner Void's OwNathan posted some details about ICY: Frostbite Edition's new combat system on our forums a couple of months ago. The game is available on Steam now for just $13 with a 25% launch discount until next week. But the best thing is that since the original ICY was on sale several times after its release, chances are you own the new edition already!

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
We improved it a lot since the original one, really a lot.

Dialogues are still important but now they arent 90% of the whole experience, there's a lot more to do in terms of playing. We edited the script, cut the worst parts, added some new ones, triple checked everything.

The survival is now something meaningful. It's not as stressful as in survival focused games, but it offers a challenge.

The fighting system is fun, according to the various people that tried it, and the crafting system works nicely with it, allowing the player to create new items or upgrade the old ones.

Don't expect a massive RPG with 100 hours of contents because it is not. But now we achieved something like 15 hours of enjoyable plot and fun gameplay. If the original one shown good premises under a layer of bugs, obscure mechanics, and underdeveloped gameplay, now the game offers what it's written on the Steam page. We're really satisfied with the result!

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
As someone who has lived in a snow covered hole for his whole life I can't shrug the feeling of resentment against games with arctic areas, no matter how good the mechanics are.
I want to see different things in my screen compared to my window.

M0RBUS

Augur
As someone who has lived in a snow covered hole for his whole life I can't shrug the feeling of resentment against games with arctic areas, no matter how good the mechanics are.
I want to see different things in my screen compared to my window.
Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 is very good, I hear.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
After The Long Dark, who would want to pay for another snowy survival game?

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I enjoyed the tone of the initial release, as I did the artwork and description of places.
It wasn't a deep game by any means, but it was atmospheric. For me it was a nice
'casual' break from the Deep Caverns of Underrail, to cool my boiling blood and
not throw something across the room. I have downloaded the Frostbite Edition,
but I don't know when I may get around to giving it a spin. But I'm looking
forward to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom