Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IE Enhanced Editions

Enhanced Editions: Yes or No?

• Strongly Yes

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Somewhat Yes

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Yes but not worth the prices being charged.

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Strongly No

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • Somewhat No

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • It's good to have the choice between enhanced and original.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don't care either way. (kingcomrade)

Votes: 19 15.4%

• Total voters

roshan

Arcane
So I've checked out the enhanced editions, and I have I have mixed feelings towards them, but at the same time I think with the EE options being available, I probably won't play the original versions if I did a replay any of the 3 games.

The interface is uglier and too garish but basically easier to use (love the zoom function and that it shows total roll count, perfect for an aggressive min maxer) and scales well to my widescreen resolution, and looks a lot sharper. The main menus though look horribly tabletized and the spellbook screens are a travesty. The fonts are terrible. On the other hand some menus in the original IE games including the selection screen for custom portraits were seriously fucked up.

It's convenient to setup and install versus the originals which at the very least need the fan patch and widescreen mod, and already integrates some mods like 1pp and IWD UB.

The new content might be terrible, but it's skippable anyway, in the case of IWD having the new spell and character options is quite nice and engine performance is quite a bit snappier.

Overall, I think they're definitely the way to play the game in 2009.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If they were serious about revitalizing the game it they would have made basically a sold baseline like BGTrilogy, just connecting the 3 games like that mod does with much much less pain which would be a welcome development in BG modding. Since they aren't they decided to do what professional companies do, which is to nickel and dime you by selling bits of the same thing over and over as expansions. Only in this case it isn't even that (as expansions that is, 'the same thing' they got nailed).

As a added shit effect if this is profitable to them which i assume it is, it's encouragement to shutdown remakes like the recently C&Desisted bloodlines remake, or somewhat ironically BGTrilogy, which i guess Beamdog itself don't have the balls to do but must have passed through their CEO or their whoremasters mind a few times.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Money grubbing shitsters who made the game worse the first time round, apparently getting better & hiring modders is laudable but the products have yet to make it worth the increased prices.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I actually think with the latest round of patches (1.3) the games are pretty great and that they are doing an excellent job. They are going to add all the remaining missing features that one or another has that the other may not and round it all off at 1.4 (it may continue afterwards). Also they are working on a new adventure in the BG universe that is due out end of 2015 (but we know how that goes).

I like what they're doing. And yes, I played the originals as they came out many moons ago. And I am really enjoying playing them again with these Enhanced Editions. I am also hoping they do Icewind Dale 2, and Planescape: Torment, but I'm not sure if they will.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Wow. You guys are edgy. The games in IE:EEs are hardly bad. It's a good effort and it saved me a lot of effort.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
exo6dkb.jpg

garren

Arcane
Patron
I checked the games out on youtube but the "new" interface design looks horrid. If they fix that on PC and keep the patches flowing I might consider buying them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beamdog is just another indie outfit that initially bit off more than they could chew, like Harebrained Schemes w/ Dead Man's Switch. I realize the whole "DEFILING MAH CLASSICS" thing is a trigger word, but people should probably give them a break.

roshan

Arcane
I actually think with the latest round of patches (1.3) the games are pretty great and that they are doing an excellent job. They are going to add all the remaining missing features that one or another has that the other may not and round it all off at 1.4 (it may continue afterwards). Also they are working on a new adventure in the BG universe that is due out end of 2015 (but we know how that goes).

I like what they're doing. And yes, I played the originals as they came out many moons ago. And I am really enjoying playing them again with these Enhanced Editions. I am also hoping they do Icewind Dale 2, and Planescape: Torment, but I'm not sure if they will.

Are they by any chance planning to port the IWD spells to BG 1 and 2? Because that would be awesome.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
BGT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BG1+2:EE

bad changes from vanilla BG2:
-1pp paper dolls are used as default
-1pp ugly shields
-replaced icons
-interface+font
-annoying encounters with the new horrible companions
-some companions got a few new badly written lines that made me cringe
-Ascension mod doesn't work properly if at all

I don't really give a shit about IWD.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Enhanced editions are a rip off, using mods which are free to use and supplement them with few extra maps which do not fit the game that well, some at best weird companions. You can get the full packages on GoG for half or quarter of that price and just take 30 minutes to get your mods done.

Starwars

Arcane
Pathetic cash grabs is what they are in my eyes. Made even worse that the 1.3 patch for BG2 came out... just now I believe? Talk about taking their sweet time to fix bugs. You'd think that would be top priority for a game that is actually a remake of something else.

Get the originals, save a few bucks and install a few mods instead of supporting these things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom