Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity If you liked POE1 you have shit taste in games. (my review)

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
SkiNNyBane , you are definetly going to like my mod for Deadfire, when I get around to releasing it.

If your not joking I can see how with proper difficulty modding etc the combat can be pretty decent there. What are your ideas so far?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
SkiNNyBane , you are definetly going to like my mod for Deadfire, when I get around to releasing it.

If your not joking I can see how with proper difficulty modding etc the combat can be pretty decent there. What are your ideas so far?
- Most, if not all, abilities become per-rest
- Your healing spells castable outside of combat
- No regenerating health after combat. You'll have to choose who to heal and which per-rest spells to expend.
- Rest spamming is the player's problem. If he does it and doesn't feel like a jerk, that's up to him.
- Armors, weapons and some items become class-locked so no wizards with morning stars, etc.
- Only the heaviest armors will give a small action speed penalty. The rest will have no penalty.
- Armors give a bonus to deflection. Armor bonuses vs specific damage types should be rebalanced so they are smaller vs the right kind of damage for this armor, and larger vs the wrong type of damage for this armor.
- Health and defences progression is not uniform for all classes. Different classes receive different passive abilities which advance their max health and defences per level at a different pace.

- more stuff...
Each of these things is doable by just modding the gamedatabundle files. My goal is to make classes more ~diverse~ in how they play.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

- No regenerating health after combat. You'll have to choose who to heal and which per-rest spells to expend.
- Rest spamming is the player's problem. If he does it and doesn't feel like a jerk, that's up to him.
- Armors, weapons and some items become class-locked so no wizards with morning stars, etc.
- Only the heaviest armors will give a small action speed penalty. The rest will have no penalty.
- Armors give a bonus to deflection. Armor bonuses vs specific damage types should be rebalanced so they are smaller vs the right kind of damage for this armor, and larger vs the wrong type of damage for this armor.
- Health and defences progression is not uniform for all classes. Different classes receive different passive abilities which advance their max health and defences per level at a different pace.

- more stuff...
Each of these things is doable by just modding the gamedatabundle files. My goal is to make classes more ~diverse~ in how they play.

Sounds good, keep up the good work.

Matticus

Educated

- more stuff...

All good changes except the rest spamming one, but I'm not blaming you since a good solution is difficult to implement. I'd appreciate your thoughts on what you think about rest spamming though, or attrition mechanics in general or whatever else you think might add challenge to the game outside of combat. To clarify, this is more my curiosity about game mechanics in general rather than "how to fix pillars".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Engagement system makes mobility during combat highly restrictive. Why would using physical movement/positioning as a strategy be something that needs a mechanic against? This is such an incredibly dumb design decision. Fun is not allowed boys.

Because hurr durr degenarate gameplay hurr durr

And because "gamers" today think that the more limiting a system is the better it is. As in "wow, the game DOES NOT allow me to do that? That's a great system because they thought to limit my actions!"
This of course would come from the more knowledgeable of them, the ultimate newfag dumbfucks wouldn't even know the freedoms they're missing only having played newfag games.

In other words, yes, they hate fun and they prefer to have the system playing them instead of them playing the system.

the_shadow

Arcane
I never even really paid attention to the engagement rules in Pillars of Eternity. If I wanted to move a character out of combat range, I did. If the engagement rules impaired this, I never noticed.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All good changes except the rest spamming one, but I'm not blaming you since a good solution is difficult to implement. I'd appreciate your thoughts on what you think about rest spamming though, or attrition mechanics in general or whatever else you think might add challenge to the game outside of combat. To clarify, this is more my curiosity about game mechanics in general rather than "how to fix pillars".
One way to affect rest-spamming through modding would be to modify the stats of food items (the most easy to find types), so the player can't use them for resting and thus restrict his ability to rest everywhere. For determined players however, this would only result in frustration as they will have to either backtrack to inns or savescum encounters.

I think rest-spamming will always be a possibility as long as the player has any per-rest resources, and as long as he has at least some control over the path through which he will progress through the content.

Ultimately, it's a videogame, and singleplayer, so players who really want to abuse it will abuse it. An RPG always relies on the player's cooperation in order to be fun. If an RPG was a rollercoaster where you know the start point, end point, and exactly where the player is in every minute of the journey, then you would be able to set it up in such a way so that the player always has just enough resources to continue. But the point of the RPG is the opposite, the player should be able to roam everywhere and visit places in any order. So you either let him police himself by resting only as much as he feels comfortable with, or by resetting all his resources at the end of combat, so that he enters combat with more or less the same setup of disposable resources. To me, the latter option sounds the same as "we'll give you smaller resources, and after combat, the game will rest-spam instead of you". So, I'd rather let the player choose when and whether to rest, and how constrained he wants to be in terms of resources which can be replenished by resting.

caldera

Novice
Having just finished the game, after periodically torturing myself with it since its release, I can echo the criticism it has received.
I sometimes have this ridiculous sense of duty to finish stuff I've started (then again I've been trying to finish reading One Hundred Years of Solitude for around twelve years already) couldn't have picked a worse game for that tho'.
Game does seem to be in love with itself, whoever wrote it had a great vision in mind but forgot to / didn't care to implement the most basic drama principles, leaving me absolutely indifferent towards every single character and world itself. Game that spoke so much about souls ironically lacked one of its own.
Otherwise largest quarrels for me where infamous loading times and insistence on real time combat with pause, turn based combat would of improved the game incredibly.
I think I will be steering clear of PoE 2 since supposedly it is around 100h long and I just can't justify wasting so much time anymore.

the_shadow

Arcane
Just out of curiosity, did anyone read the information about NPCs you get when you read their souls? I must have read about 3 souls before getting bored due to the lack of relevance.

Generic-Giant-Spider

DAMN THIS NIGGA GOT THE ELVEN RANGER AVATAR BUT HE THROWIN' OUT POSTS LIKE HE GOT BLOODLUSTED BY THE OGRE-MAGI

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIT

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot

It looks like you're aiming at changing a core philosophy instead of refining the formula - which assumes that you're gonna try to do a better job at balancing an essentially different system on your own than Obsidian devs did in their work time - but undermine it by leaving resting here. If the combat is not challenging enough why don't you make individual encounters harder and maybe per-rest abilities more powerful thus staying in the same gameplay system?

Anyway I didn't play PoE2 yet. But I remember that by the end of PoE1 I almost didn't use the rest except staying at taverns getting stat bonuses.

Falksi

Arcane
IMO POE deserves kudos for at least attempting to recapture & improve upon the old CRPG formula. For me it did a lot of things very well, and definitely enjoyed a fair amount of time playing it. However, between the fairly shit combat, bugs, lacklustre plot & mish-mashed pacing I've yet to finish it.

Will still play POE2, I just hope that such future games try to be a little less ambitious, and aim for quality over quantity. The time spent creating The White March should just have gone into refining & improving the base game. And when I think back to POE there's not that much memorable about it, whereas the likes of BG2 or Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall I can list off shit loads of memorable stuff in an instance.

And FFS just make combat turn based. The whole reason combat went real-time was to pull in casuals with "awesome". The folk making these modern CRPG's should recognize it's target audience doesn't want or need that now.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
IMO POE deserves kudos for at least attempting to recapture & improve upon the old CRPG formula. For me it did a lot of things very well, and definitely enjoyed a fair amount of time playing it. However, between the fairly shit combat, bugs, lacklustre plot & mish-mashed pacing I've yet to finish it.

So basically the game had shit combat and story and it was too trash for you to finish, but you enjoyed it O.o?

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Engagement system makes mobility during combat highly restrictive. Why would using physical movement/positioning as a strategy be something that needs a mechanic against? This is such an incredibly dumb design decision. Fun is not allowed boys.

Because hurr durr degenarate gameplay hurr durr

And because "gamers" today think that the more limiting a system is the better it is. As in "wow, the game DOES NOT allow me to do that? That's a great system because they thought to limit my actions!"
This of course would come from the more knowledgeable of them, the ultimate newfag dumbfucks wouldn't even know the freedoms they're missing only having played newfag games.

In other words, yes, they hate fun and they prefer to have the system playing them instead of them playing the system.

I literally just cut my face open reading how edgy this post was.

AwesomeButton

Patron

It looks like you're aiming at changing a core philosophy instead of refining the formula - which assumes that you're gonna try to do a better job at balancing an essentially different system on your own than Obsidian devs did in their work time - but undermine it by leaving resting here. If the combat is not challenging enough why don't you make individual encounters harder and maybe per-rest abilities more powerful thus staying in the same gameplay system?

Anyway I didn't play PoE2 yet. But I remember that by the end of PoE1 I almost didn't use the rest except staying at taverns getting stat bonuses.
It's just a dream project right now. There is a lot of time I need to spend playing until I know the game well enough to attempt rebalancing it on such a scale. I also have some months of work on the editor.

Falksi

Arcane

So basically the game had shit combat and story and it was too trash for you to finish, but you enjoyed it O.o?

Yeah, coz there's more to a game than just story & combat.

POE had some great characters, atmosphere, lore, enemies etc. I particularly enjoyed how it tried to move away from typrical fantasy tropes. Still miles away from the alien brilliance of Morrowind, but still nice to see some freshness in there.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Have just read the first page of this thread but I'm already shocked nobody here was benevolent enough to advice OP to get laid.

Or I don't know, put him out of his misery. That's the problem with internet, you can't even help people by shooting them and stop their agony.

Too bad he certainly understood most of PoE flaws.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom