Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This forum is still in need of threads.

I just found an interesting preview of IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad on simhq. The game began as a Battle of Moscow expansion for CloD and is now in the hands of 777 Studios, the people who made Rise of Flight. Probably the only full fledged WW2 sim worth looking forward to at this day.

Early access starting winter of 2013

list of alpha videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4014tNwcao&feature=share&list=PLin-78Fd_YBmqsolM4olf_ZHaRSvcVSvD

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Wounder why the is that? Maybe because this genre is lacking games at the current moment.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. It's multum non multa (much not many) in flight sim land right now. You're right that in terms of sheer numbers, there isn't that much, but the games that are out there have a LOT of content and richness to them.

The game began as a Battle of Moscow expansion for CloD and is now in the hands of 777 Studios, the people who made Rise of Flight.

Not quite right. The Battle for Moscow expansion, its assets, its engine, and its dev team, are all dead. Nothing from that is making it to Battle for Stalingrad, which is kinda too bad because while CloD had some SERIOUS problems, with further refinement and development it had the potential to become something great. BfS is an entirely new game, bearing the IL-2 Sturmovik name, built on the Rise of Flight engine and made by the Rise of Flight developers.

Burning Bridges

I believe this is incorrect. 777 took over all assets from 1C, and a lot of stuff (3d models) already made it into Battle of Stalingrad.

Burning Bridges

Wounder why the is that? Maybe because this genre is lacking games at the current moment.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. It's multum non multa (much not many) in flight sim land right now. You're right that in terms of sheer numbers, there isn't that much, but the games that are out there have a LOT of content and richness to them.

I didn't even understand why he posted that. There are enough new simulations, but they are very hard to get into these days.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
I didn't even understand why he posted that. There are enough new simulations, but they are very hard to get into these days.
There are simulators and then there are simulators. Besides I'm butthurt that I can't find one that I like as much as the SH series(besides the 5th one, of course). If I could I would grind a CD of SH1 into dust, then snort it using a 10zł bill.

Burning Bridges

Hm. I guess most sims concentrate too much on dials and technical details and too little on being games. I used to play flight sims in the past, but now I quickly lose interest staring at the same virtual cockpit for hours. Tiresome compared to simple games like Kerbal Space Program that actually give me something to do.

But no, I see no replacement for Silent Hunter ahead. From what I know the original team is scattered in the wind. Sonalysts ragequit submarine simulations and Danger from the Deeps last update was 2011.

Endemic

Arcane
Original IL-2 is time-consuming enough for me. The complete edition has hundreds of aircraft and dynamic campaigns in all of the major WW2 theatres.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Hm. I guess most sims concentrate too much on dials and technical details and too little on being games.
So of them should be like that, as I said, there are simulators and then there are simulators. Some for SMA - with all the dials and technical detail of the real thing, then some for me who don't really enjoy spending the time on actually learning how to pilot a real Kamov (I admit, that may one day come in handy).
Original IL-2 is time-consuming enough for me. The complete edition has hundreds of aircraft and dynamic campaigns in all of the major WW2 theatres.
Yeah, there is also IŁ-2.

Caim

Arcane
IL-2 1946 had some pretty bizarre stuff to fly/shoot down, some bordering on NAZI SUPERSCIENCE. Like this motherfucker:

ju90_a5.jpg

I mean, who in their right mind would come up with a thing like this? Not to mention that one plane that takes op vertically like a rocket, with its propellor mounted in the center of the plane's body. That shit's insane and awesome at the same time.

IL-2 1946 had some pretty bizarre stuff to fly/shoot down, some bordering on NAZI SUPERSCIENCE. Like this motherfucker:

ju90_a5.jpg

I mean, who in their right mind would come up with a thing like this?

Twinned aircraft are rare, but some did make it out of the drawing board, and had their merits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Heinkel_He_111Z_at_Regensburg_1944.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-82_Twin_Mustang

The second one was kept in service up until 1953.

Burning Bridges

ju90_a5.jpg

I mean, who in their right mind would come up with a thing like this? Not to mention that one plane that takes op vertically like a rocket, with its propellor mounted in the center of the plane's body. That shit's insane and awesome at the same time.

Combining two aircraft into one is a very quick and simple way to get a plane with increased range and lifting capacity, and it worked well (Twin Mustang).

I find asymetric planes much more odd. Blohm und Voss Bv 141

2.jpg

Borelli

Arcane
Combining two aircraft into one is a very quick and simple way to get a plane with increased range and lifting capacity, and it worked well (Twin Mustang).
I don't know anything about this subject but ... why not just make a bigger plane?

I'm not an expert either, but I think it's a bit faster, simpler and cheaper to join two copies of an existing, proven design than starting from scratch with a large plane. Not to mention that you don't have to build an entirely new production line with all the tooling and workforce training that goes with it.

I think that people like @Hellraiser may know more.

By the way, is Cliffs of Dover in a playable state yet?
As far as performance is concerned, depends on your hardware and standards. I can get it to run at 15-30 FPS on my laptop (4x2,2 GHz core i7, GT 540M) but only when I'm over water. Over land it's unplayable, unless there's no aircraft but mine.

Suchy

Arcane
Ok, I have GTX560Ti, a quad core 2.8 GHz and 12Gb RAM. Same hardware as when the game came out - got about 10-15 fps over land and thought that was completely unplayable. Haven't tried it since, did they patch the performance in any way?

There have been many improvements, such as making the epilepsy filter optional (disable it), many rounds of optimization, and reducing some of the detail. You should have far, far better performance now.

Burning Bridges

I'm not an expert either, but I think it's a bit faster, simpler and cheaper to join two copies of an existing, proven design than starting from scratch with a large plane. Not to mention that you don't have to build an entirely new production line with all the tooling and workforce training that goes with it.

I think that people like @Hellraiser may know more.

Can be done with engines too. For example the DB 606. Two coupled 1350hp DB601, used in a 4-engined bomber with 2-engine layout (He 177).

DB_-_606_-_Agregatseite_-_FRG_09-07-001_k.jpeg

I believe the Cosworth DFV was also created from two 4 cylinder engines.

Suchy

Arcane
Couldn't find a patched pirated version, so I took the risk and bought it for 10E. And it's pretty much playable now - on maxed settings (only without AA) I'm getting 20 - 30 fps over land, and it's still ok over larger cities (though drops noticably when flying very low). I'm planning a major hardware update soon, so it should be way better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom