Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

Rhalle

Magister
Looks really good, but the title is fucking stupid.

We already have 64408712 videogames that include the phrase" War" "of War" "War of" in their title. It's beyond cliche, and silly.

Il2-Sturmovik. Good title.

"Storm of War". Le fuck? Fucking terrible title, like a 3rd grader made it up.

Exmit

Scholar
Rhalle said:
Looks really good, but the title is fucking stupid.

We already have 64408712 videogames that include the phrase" War" "of War" "War of" in their title. It's beyond cliche, and silly.

Il2-Sturmovik. Good title.

"Storm of War". Le fuck? Fucking terrible title, like a 3rd grader made it up.

storm of war was an old title. It's gonna be something like IL-2 sturmovik : Battle of Britian now.

What about multiplayer? Deathmatch, Capture the Flag is on, something special? Can i hide behind some bigass clouds and then pop up behind an enemy plane and do a cockpit headshot?

Multiplayer is uknown right now , Oleg mentioned something about a multiplayer up to 128 players.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Exmit said:
SimpleComplexity said:
It's gonna be a serious flight sim , no console port , only PC.
6 years in development so far
I stopped reading there....

You don't understand the eastern mindset on developing games.

First il-2 was developed 5 years.Oleg maddox (main dev) started working on it in 1996 and finished it in 2001. His plan was to make an engine that could last atleast 10 years , and his plan worked. Il-2 community is still big even today.
With the Storm of War he expanded his goal and make an even more universal engine that can be even further expanded not only for flight sims but for other games also. The game is very detailed , it is a flight sim but have complex mechanics for vehicles also.

While western developers make games and engines that are obsolete over 1-2 years his plan is to have an engine for the next 10 years.

The constant updates , interaction with the community and information provided from him single handledly is something that all western developers should look upon to.

Short version for ADHD kwas :

It's not a turd served by every game company but a quality product.

Well even the Il-2 Sturmovik engine was used in the very good Theatre of War series, and it still looks good, so Oleg certainly knows his stuff. With even more integrated complexity for land, sea and air, we should be getting all manner of sims from this that might even be interconnectable. Imagine a campaign where you drive a Panzer then reach a strongpoint and jump into a Skuka to level it, before switching back to the Panzer. :Drool:

I also like how in Sturmovik there was good quality control for user models and only those that were worthy were added for in patches. Hated in Combat Flight simulator how you could barely find anything good with all the 40 shitty models of the P-51B for example. Hope SOW will d the same.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Multiplayer? I'm thinking a Codexian Squadron of Messerschmits (naturally) :)

Also,
shot20100913142218.jpg

This is the first time that I've seen oil slicks behind damaged ships. Awesome attention to detail, there.

Destroid

Arcane
I was always more fond of the British aircraft in IL-2, I like the Hurricane for early war and Spitfire for late war.

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
poocolator said:
This is the first time that I've seen oil slicks behind damaged ships. Awesome attention to detail, there.
It could be a shot down airplane as well. The attention to detail is there, though.

Erzherzog

Magister
poocolator said:
Fine.
A squadron of mustangs.

Psh, the Eurofags would never fly in an American plane.

The only realistic Codex air battle is one that depicts Germany vs. Poland vs. Russia vs. Ukraine vs. Sweden vs. America vs. Brazil vs. Britain etc,etc,etc,

Exmit

Scholar
It's coming !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVUSp1V3cVw

and an interview

http://www.neocrisis.com/articles/198-g ... -interview

my favourite part

How do you like the PC as a platform for game development?

We love it. Realistic flight sims are impossible on consoles because only PCs have the computing power you need for all the physics and aerodynamics and artificial intelligence. As long as we continue making realistic flight sims, the PC is our only option.

ps: 128 player MP has been confirmed!

Exmit

Scholar
Ubisoft is only the publisher so fuck them.

Oleg already said he would not allow any shitty DRM in his game.

I want to believe.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What the fuck do the Cliffs of Dover have to do with a Russian airplane? Seriously, why not just call it F16: Bombers over Berlin if you go for retarded?

Looks brilliant though.

Exmit

Scholar
Trash said:
What the fuck do the Cliffs of Dover have to do with a Russian airplane? Seriously, why not just call it F16: Bombers over Berlin if you go for retarded?

Looks brilliant though.

They left sturmovik because it is well known already.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Trash said:

Looks brilliant though.

As Exmit said, it's the brand name.

Destroid

Arcane
I always found it pretty amusing that some planes are so tough that you can run out of ammo shooting at them and still not put them down (managed this in an IL-2 while my opponent was flying a triple 20mm LA-7, of course he missed many rounds but hit many also).

Exmit

Scholar
Destroid said:
I always found it pretty amusing that some planes are so tough that you can run out of ammo shooting at them and still not put them down (managed this in an IL-2 while my opponent was flying a triple 20mm LA-7, of course he missed many rounds but hit many also).

And what is so amusing ? If you do not hit vital parts , and just make holes in it i don't see why it wouldn't be able to fly.

And you must be a bad shoot, or shooting 7mm and expecting idk what.
I never run out of ammo on a single plane. with 1 20mm on 109's g's you can make 3-4 kills no problem.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Exmit said:
And what is so amusing ? If you do not hit vital parts , and just make holes in it i don't see why it wouldn't be able to fly.
:retarded:

Destroid

Arcane
Exmit said:
Destroid said:

And you must be a bad shoot, or shooting 7mm and expecting idk what.
I never run out of ammo on a single plane. with 1 20mm on 109's g's you can make 3-4 kills no problem.

I was flying the IL-2, my friend was flying an LA-7 which is mounted with 3 20mm cannons only, with a pretty small ammunition supply.

Never running out are you sure you have ammunition set to limited? Some weapons come with a very small supply.

Exmit

Scholar
Il-2 is a bomber so i'm guessing you didn't have a clear shot from 6 from close range at him , and you wanted to spray him from longer ranges.

Not unlimited , i set my convergence to 200 and never fire if a plane is farther.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Exmit said:
Il-2 is a bomber so i'm guessing you didn't have a clear shot from 6 from close range at him , and you wanted to spray him from longer ranges.

Not unlimited , i set my convergence to 200 and never fire if a plane is farther.

Mine's at 100m: I only fire when I'm right on top of them and sure to hit. Flying campaign missions, I generally come back with some ammunition in my 15mm cannon on a BF-109 F-2, and maybe 1 or 2 kills. I generally only run out of ammo during quick mission gunnery practice against heavy bombers (generally PE-2s or B-17s) when I have more targets than ammo anyway.

And sure I'll fly with you when Cliffs of Dover comes out :P.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom