Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
WhiskeyWolf said:
Exmit said:
And what is so amusing ? If you do not hit vital parts , and just make holes in it i don't see why it wouldn't be able to fly.
:retarded:

It has to be a pretty big fucking hole for the plane to not be able to fly properly. Even then you can generally keep flying as long as you compensate for the loss in lift. Fuel tank, bomb bay, cockpit, engines: those are your aiming points for actually downing a plane. If you have a heavy cannon -- at least 20mm -- you can also target their wing and attempt to shoot it off.

Destroid

Arcane
Exmit said:
Il-2 is a bomber so i'm guessing you didn't have a clear shot from 6 from close range at him , and you wanted to spray him from longer ranges.

Not unlimited , i set my convergence to 200 and never fire if a plane is farther.

The La-7 was the aggressor. It's basically impossible to shoot down an LA-7 in an Il-2 unless you get insanely lucky. Have had some pretty hilarious kills in the Il-2 with 37mm cannons in the wings, taking pot shots from far, far away, a single shell hit and blew my opponents plane in half.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Last flightsim I played a lot of was Mig Alley. Awesome game which unfortunately doesn't want to work on my current system. It had great dynamic campaigns, can these be found in Sturmovik? I'm tempted to pick it up from steam.

And hopefully it also lets me use a gamepad. My old joystick is bust.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
The later versions of IL-2 feature dynamic campaigns, although they're not as good as Mig Alley or Rowan's BoB. If you pick up the 1946 compilation, then there will be literally several thousand missions worth of campaign content, both dynamic and static, along with several hundred flyable aircraft. And the game works just fine with a gamepad, although obviously a joystick is preferable. I'm using the Saitek AV8R, which is specifically designed for WWII sims and is both inexpensive and high quality.

Exmit

Scholar
Trash said:
dynamic campaigns

CoD will have a dynamic campaign , Sturmovik has static campaigns but like SMA said, there's plenty of missions.

Exmit

Scholar
Trash said:
Just managed my first take-off. And then promptly crashed. I think I could grow to love this one.

CoD will have even more engine and plane managment, so in fight you will have to worry not only about enemy planes , but you will have to monitor your own plane also.

Destroid said:
I always found it pretty amusing that some planes are so tough that you can run out of ammo shooting at them and still not put them down (managed this in an IL-2 while my opponent was flying a triple 20mm LA-7, of course he missed many rounds but hit many also).

Go and check out the specs of the Il-2. Also known as the 'Flying Tank'. The thing was heavily armoured, and quite difficult to put down.

Anyway, this game is quite, quite brilliant...it brings back memories of my previous favourite combat flight simulator: European Air War, which had some of the toughest, most natural air combat I have ever came across, even if the game is old now and the newer sims have better graphics.

I started my Dover campaign in a Hurricane, and the first few missions were quite easy; dealing with Stuka's attacking Channel convoys. The Me 110's were no match. Thankfully I never entered their field of fire, as I am sure those cannons would rip apart just about anything.

My last mission had my wing assaulting He 111's, until the Spitfires failed to keep the 109's at bay. Flying low level through the streets of London, with two 109's on my tail. Glorious. I narrowly escaped that one, damaging some Hun with a fancy paintjob on the way through, but not bringing him down unfortunately. I am sure we will meet again, and perhaps I will have a Spitfire by then. Still, the 109's are nicely challenging when you have a Hurricane, hopefully I can survive long enough so that Captain Blackadder will be Squadron leader.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Blackadder said:
Destroid said:
I always found it pretty amusing that some planes are so tough that you can run out of ammo shooting at them and still not put them down (managed this in an IL-2 while my opponent was flying a triple 20mm LA-7, of course he missed many rounds but hit many also).

Go and check out the specs of the Il-2. Also known as the 'Flying Tank'. The thing was heavily armoured, and quite difficult to put down.

Anyway, this game is quite, quite brilliant...it brings back memories of my previous favourite combat flight simulator: European Air War, which had some of the toughest, most natural air combat I have ever came across, even if the game is old now and the newer sims have better graphics.

I started my Dover campaign in a Hurricane, and the first few missions were quite easy; dealing with Stuka's attacking Channel convoys. The Me 110's were no match. Thankfully I never entered their field of fire, as I am sure those cannons would rip apart just about anything.

My last mission had my wing assaulting He 111's, until the Spitfires failed to keep the 109's at bay. Flying low level through the streets of London, with two 109's on my tail. Glorious. I narrowly escaped that one, damaging some Hun with a fancy paintjob on the way through, but not bringing him down unfortunately. I am sure we will meet again, and perhaps I will have a Spitfire by then. Still, the 109's are nicely challenging when you have a Hurricane, hopefully I can survive long enough so that Captain Blackadder will be Squadron leader.

Hey, couldn't find the Battle of Britain in any of the stock Il2-Sturmovik campaigns. Are you playing a mod? Would be pretty rad to shoot down luftwaffe attack waves over the channel.

Data4

Arcane
Archibald said:
MetalCraze said:
Too bad Falcon 4 is still the king huh?
Stop milking WW2 damn it, it isn't fun anymore

What else to milk? Can`t have new shit, might come out as politically incorrect :decline:

New shit would be simulating sitting in a trailer at Langley AFB piloting a drone over a barren landscape with the occasional Hellfire delivery on a 3 truck convoy.

Destroid

Arcane
I've thought lately that UCAV simulator would be great, because it could be extremely close to the authentic experience of piloting a UCAV.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech

Exmit

Scholar
I wonder what is her 'role' in the development team (mastermind Oleg is the older one)

full-4161-5716-dscn0115_4.jpg

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Trash said:
Hey, couldn't find the Battle of Britain in any of the stock Il2-Sturmovik campaigns. Are you playing a mod? Would be pretty rad to shoot down luftwaffe attack waves over the channel.

You won't find them in the stock game. You'll need the Ultra Pack 2.01 mod for that which gives not only a Channel map, but many others.

Find it here:

http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php/topic,1536.0.html

If you haven't already got it, use the Dynamic Campaign Generator 3.45 found below which allows you to easily create all kinds of campaigns for not only the new maps but even for every possible plane in the original game, and this generator makes much better campaigns than the basic game.(On this site there are preconfigured North Africa campaigns among others which are good too):

http://www.lowengrin.com/download.php?list.3

Norfleet

Destroid said:
I've thought lately that UCAV simulator would be great, because it could be extremely close to the authentic experience of piloting a UCAV.
Very close. Imagine if the military released such a game, then at some point took the best players of it and quietly assigned them an actual mission without telling them about it.

ChristofferC

Magister
I'm not sure what's wrong with me but I suck so bad at IL2 it's not even funny, despite many hours of practice. I can't keep in formation and I can't hit anything I aim at. Also I don't see what's so entertaining about looking at the sky doing nothing 90 % of the time but I also don't find it fun to micromanage my plane to try and keep in formation.

:x

Needless to say I'm not buying this game.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
ChristofferC said:
I'm not sure what's wrong with me but I suck so bad at IL2 it's not even funny, despite many hours of practice. I can't keep in formation and I can't hit anything I aim at. Also I don't see what's so entertaining about looking at the sky doing nothing 90 % of the time but I also don't find it fun to micromanage my plane to try and keep in formation.

Give up on this and join the Dead Space 2 Brovolution! That's the game for you! Come, get the FLT release and join the rest of us real gamers playing real games not this slowarse plane faggot shit!

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=54880

This is the locations for real Codex bros! :bro:

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
ChristofferC said:

The trick to staying in formation is matching speed, altitude and heading. Your wing-leader will tell you the latter two, and 300km/h is the standard cruising speed.

Gunnery takes practice, and is never easy. The best advice I can give is let the enemy fly into your cross hair rather than flying your cross hair onto the enemy. The former lets you keep your sights on target while the latter has your sights wandering around the target but not actually on it.

Furthermore, only fire from 300 meters or less, beyond that you won't hit anything. Be sure to set your convergence for the range at which you most often open fire -- for me it's 250m.

To determine range, remember that an enemy fighter whose wings extend from circle edge to circle edge on your gunsight is at about 100m. From circle edge to centerpoint is 200m, and half-way from circle edge to centerpoint is 400m.

Finally, you need to factor in lead time. The ring of your gunsight represents the lead for a target traveling at approximately 25 degrees off your direction of travel. On German planes -- and what Codexer doesn't fight for the Nazis? -- the hash lines on your crosshair represent the lead you need to give targets at various angles off. Estimate your targets angle off in increments of 5 degrees and use those hash lines to determine deflection, and then open fire at your range of convergence firing in 1 second bursts.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I only caught this series with 'Birds of Prey' , the 2009 game.

Had hours of fun in my Macchi C.205. Yes, Italian. Laugh it up.

Also, I can't land worth shit.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Landing is all about slowing the fuck down. On a BF-109, the landing speed is about 180km/h. That means on approach you need to chop your throttle so that you're going under 300km/h. Then drop your flaps to landing setting, which will slow you down further, and then once you're under 250km/h drop your landing gear. By that point you should be going around 200km/h and the loss in lift should gradually be bringing you back to earth. Aim your aircraft at the end of the runway, and when it passes underneath your nose, pull up gently on the stick. This will slow you down to your landing speed, which ideally should cause you to stall out just as your wheels touch down. Cut the throttle, and gently apply the brakes, using your rudder to stay centered on the runway, once you've come to a complete stop, taxi off the runway to the hanger and you're good to go.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
ScottishMartialArts said:
ChristofferC said:

Gunnery takes practice, and is never easy. The best advice I can give is let the enemy fly into your cross hair rather than flying your cross hair onto the enemy. The former lets you keep your sights on target while the latter has your sights wandering around the target but not actually on it.
Good explanation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghtpgXn5 ... re=related
Will help with setting up the convergence.

Some equations here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_mil

Also, the youtube fellow I linked to has different videos from the same guy. His videos are all pretty good.

overtenemy

Augur
Bros, question: if this game is being published by Ubisoft, doesn't that mean it'll have fucktard Ubisoft DRM? This only recently occurred to me and my rage is approaching critical mass. Anybody got any news as to whether or not Ubisoft is on the verge of ditching their ridiculous MUST HAVE INTERNET TO PLAY SINGLE scheme?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom