Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm genuinely amazed it's easier to miss Elder Scrolls games than to replay them

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Another thread where we can have the same exact discussion over and over again. How exciting!

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Another thread where we can have the same exact discussion over and over again. How exciting!
You tell them, bro!
HGhYss0.jpg

ore clover

Learned
YES!!! It's about time someone posted something negative on Oblivion! Ok, good, I'm ready!!!!!!!!! I've been saving this joke for 6 years since it came out:

The best part of the game is uninstall.com!!!!!!

That game literally gave everyone cancer... of the ASS!!!

Everything about it sucked. It was decline. What was Patrick Swayze thinking doing the voice of Uriel Septum!? (Well, he's dead now so I won't go there. I'll admit he got robbed of the Oscar for his work in Roadhouse, if that's not a bannable offense.)

LEVELSCALING!!! WHAT?!!!! Who else didn't like that? Huh?! How about that!

Four Voice Actors!!! Nice job, Bethesda - probably worked those poor folks to death! I played the game and I could hear the NPC's get hoarser and hoarser as I went along, til at the end they all barely spoke in a whisper! They probably will never work again, they probably blew out their vocal chords! In the expansion pack, I don't think anyone said anything - they couldn't!!!

Personality wheel thingamabob?! What's that all about?! Don't think that's how it works in real life!

That corpophilia chick who wants to actually have intercourse with dead people?! Sick! No place in gaming! Stopped playing here!

Horse ARMOR!! ARGH! What is this world coming to? People paid for that stuff! I paid $5.99 and it barely worked!!! Think they patched it later, so I guess in the end it was $6 well spent!

Those damn Oblivion gates! Annoying!

Everyone has glass armor and only two hours ago, they had ebony or whatever armor!! What is there, some MAGIC armorsmith in the forest that makes things? Not likely!!!

The Ending! Can't comment on that because I've never seen it! Probably sucks liked the 200 hours it took me to get there!
This reads like a series of Trump tweets. :lol: What fine taste he has!

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
I'm almost curious enough to play Oblivion again now that I own a decent graphics card to see what it looks like on anything better than the piece of shit Radeon X800 I was stuck with back then.

Almost.

Dustin542

Liturgist
Four Voice Actors!!! Nice job, Bethesda - probably worked those poor folks to death! I played the game and I could hear the NPC's get hoarser and hoarser as I went along, til at the end they all barely spoke in a whisper! They probably will never work again, they probably blew out their vocal chords! In the expansion pack, I don't think anyone said anything - they couldn't!!!
These poor souls now just play as 1 or 2 characters in the later games.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Oblivion was a better hiking simulator than desaturated Skyrim - if you disabled the MQ / Gates and added some landscape overhauls.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Is it correct to call Skyrim a hiking simulator when there's no exploration and no "smelling of the roses", but instead is follow the Quest Compass by Fast Travel? Or at least that's my impression, not having played it.

Shin

Cipher
only thing i remember is that one quest for the thieves guild/dark brotherhood where you have to kill people in this mansion, that was fun

also i have memories of the ending/final boss being really really REALLY bad
i have also never felt the urge to replay it, and yes, this was long before i knew what popamole was

but that quest was cool, else I wouldnt remember it

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Commentaries on the Mysterium Xarxes is one of the best ES books ever written.

PhlebasIskander

Literate
Bethesda games may be what they are, but they sure do give lasting memories of fun emergent gameplay or just amusing quests/worldbuilding, especially if you were younger a LARPer when you played them.

Fixed.

I'd say the best way to remember Oblivion, is simply to listen to the soundtrack

As demonstrated here, the key character quality of a LARPer is perpetual denial.

As evidenced by the guy shilling his ASCII shooter for 99 cents.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Is it correct to call Skyrim a hiking simulator when there's no exploration and no "smelling of the roses", but instead is follow the Quest Compass by Fast Travel? Or at least that's my impression, not having played it.
I've tried starting Skyrim several times. Folks are crazy about Skyrim so I thought I'd give it a try. I even have the HD edition or whatever. As boring as Oblivion was, Skyrim somehow made things duller. Once you get past the graphics, the game feels barren. At least Oblivion had those those Daedra statues, some (semi-) original quests in tone and approach (the guy stuck in the painting, the guy stuck in a dream), and "Halt! Criminal Scum!" Other than "FUS RUH DAH", I can't think of anything memorable about Skyrim.

PhlebasIskander

Literate
Blackreach was memorable. That thalmor embassy mission was nice, you could tell a lot of work has been put into it, for once.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Beth established this pattern over 10 years ago. Morrowind was a step back from Daggerfall, Oblivion a step back from Morrowind, and Skyrim is a huge step back from Oblivion in every aspect.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
As evidenced by the guy shilling his ASCII shooter for 99 cents.

Verbal sparring only further distracts from the True Path. First you must accept that you are a LARPer, confess your sin of liking Oblivion at any age, uninstall all the Bethesda "games" you own, burn any Bethesda boxes you have, and then the Curse of Todd shall have no power over you, and you you shall see the light of redemption.

Amen.

plakia

Novice
(the guy stuck in the painting, the guy stuck in a dream)
Why is it people always talk about these two quests when praising Oblivion's quest design?
Probably because they are the only two vaguely interesting/memorable quests and you'd like to think even the worst of games have at least one redeeming quality. Honestly had more fun with the broken mess that is Arena than any of Bethesda's recent titles.

(the guy stuck in the painting, the guy stuck in a dream)
Why is it people always talk about these two quests when praising Oblivion's quest design?

The situations were cool. However I wouldn't use the the painting quest as an example of quest design, since it makes you go in a straight line in a forested path and kill trolls to fetch the NPC's desired item at the end of the path. Also, the trolls are leveled so if you do this later on it'll be hard af.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I've tried starting Skyrim several times. Folks are crazy about Skyrim so I thought I'd give it a try. I even have the HD edition or whatever. As boring as Oblivion was, Skyrim somehow made things duller. Once you get past the graphics, the game feels barren. At least Oblivion had those those Daedra statues, some (semi-) original quests in tone and approach (the guy stuck in the painting, the guy stuck in a dream), and "Halt! Criminal Scum!" Other than "FUS RUH DAH", I can't think of anything memorable about Skyrim.

It requires different approach, no expectations. More of a roguelike/Diablo dungeon crawler with some nice overworld. Most of quests are designed in a way that lets you quickly pick it up, have a journey to some dungeon with a couple of random encounters on the way, hack and slash, get your big treasure chest and fast travel back. When you're experience you get several quests in a row and plan your travel so that you can visit several marks on a map before you get back to town. All the systems work for this purpoise: in older TES and many other RPGs your weight limit defines how much heavy gear you can use, in Skyrim it defines how many dungeons you can raid before you go back to town. It should be compared to Borderlands or Far Cry, not RPGs.

And in itself it isn't bad. There was more memorable stuff than you imply, art direction and some dungeons were pretty fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom