Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Im out of good stories, may I ask for your help?

Miserable Panda

Educated
Try Codex Tales. It's a web-based CRPG with a background that takes place in a distopian society ruled by an uncaring overlord. In it you play a citizen trying to collect the local currency without being banished and forced to live the rest of your existence in a watchtower. To make things interesting, a djinn keeps taking over the bodies of your fellow citizens and wrecking havoc. So you are constantly paranoid, trying to avoid his machinations and knowing that even when you discover his current identity he will simply stop inhabiting the body he possesses in the present for another that will torment you in the future. Great game.

It looks like the kind of game I've been searching for but I can't find it anywhere. Should I look for a site in particular?

Catfish

Learned
PSS: Care to elaborate what "russian rejects" are? hahaha

He was referring to Pathologic and The Void, either of which could be pretty much what you're looking for. Also, for a quickie you may consider trying out the Stanley Parable - not earthshattering by any means, but a really nice metanarrative and an entertaining short game.

There is also a trippy one called the Binding of Isaac. Oh, and for an obvious one - did you try Deus Ex?

Weasel
Try Codex Tales. It's a web-based CRPG with a background that takes place in a distopian society ruled by an uncaring overlord. In it you play a citizen trying to collect the local currency without being banished and forced to live the rest of your existence in a watchtower. To make things interesting, a djinn keeps taking over the bodies of your fellow citizens and wrecking havoc. So you are constantly paranoid, trying to avoid his machinations and knowing that even when you discover his current identity he will simply stop inhabiting the body he possesses in the present for another that will torment you in the future. Great game.

It looks like the kind of game I've been searching for but I can't find it anywhere. Should I look for a site in particular?

:excellent:

Miserable Panda

Educated

He was referring to Pathologic and The Void, either of which could be pretty much what you're looking for. Also, for a quickie you may consider trying out the Stanley Parable - not earthshattering by any means, but a really nice metanarrative and an entertaining short game.

There is also a trippy one called the Binding of Isaac. Oh, and for an obvious one - did you try Deus Ex?

Stanley Parable was a masterpiece, and Binding of Isaac (Rebirth in particular) had an amazing story, so Pathologic and The Void sound like the next thing to try. Thanks for the advice (it will be useful for my future russian language course I will be taking later this year)

Miserable Panda

Educated

:excellent:

Oh I see. What a gullible individual I am. Man, I dont feel safe anymore. It sure looked strange when I read about a Djinn.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

There is a nice browser game called The Watch. In this game you play as a guy who was too retarded to live in an upper level of society, so you were kicked out to the lower level. However, low-level society is too retarded for you, so you have to avoid going insane and dying because some retard misinterprets your dialogue choices (happens a lot, btw). You need to find your way back to the upper level while improving your intelligence, which is hard due to constant contact with retards.

I personally recommend this game, all of my friends tried it and enjoyed it to the max. Some of them even got laid.

Catfish

Learned

Stanley Parable was a masterpiece, and Binding of Isaac (Rebirth in particular) had an amazing story, so Pathologic and The Void sound like the next thing to try. Thanks for the advice (it will be useful for my future russian language course I will be taking later this year)

If you are taking a Russian course, then consider checking out S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The story is loosely based on a book by a pair of great russian sci-fi writers, Arkadiy and Boris Strugatsky

zwanzig_zwoelf

If you are taking a Russian course, then consider checking out S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The story is loosely based on a book by a pair of great russian sci-fi writers, Arkadiy and Boris Strugatsky
What's so special about the story in S.T.A.L.K.E.R?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
What SCO said.
Start with something like Spider and Web, Anchorhead or Galatea. IF genre was ridiculously prolific.

Obama Phone 3

Learned
Greetings people (or whatever you may consider yourselves). I've recently joined this forums for two reasons, and two reasons only. You sure know about your stuff, you look incredibly friendly and I need your help. Oops, make it three. I've been looking for a LONG time (not kidding, a few weeks already) for a game that could leave me astonished, emotional, sad, euphoric and even more adjectives that wont come to mind right now. Ive been searching for a story and a narrative so good, it will stay in my head for the years to come.

I played almost all mainstream RPGS (not the ones coming from the east, so if you know one that is worth it, please tell me) and a plethora of games from all genres alike, in search of a story worthy of the download. Please, can you recommend me anything you tried and left you like I described earlier? Anything that made you feel empty when it was over, because of the void it left you inside? I trust that you will.

P.S.: Sorry for being so obscure, but Im not kidding when I say I played A LOT of them (I had a lot of free time at high school, luckily) Even so, there are some hidden gems I surely missed (GoG is helping me with that matter). If you think is worth mentioning, please do!

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Weasel
I've been looking for a LONG time (not kidding, a few weeks already) for a game that could leave me astonished, emotional, sad, euphoric and even more adjectives that wont come to mind right now. Ive been searching for a story and a narrative so good, it will stay in my head for the years to come.

Now that I think of it, Depression Quest ticks a lot of those boxes.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've been looking for a LONG time (not kidding, a few weeks already) for a game that could leave me astonished, emotional, sad, euphoric and even more adjectives that wont come to mind right now. Ive been searching for a story and a narrative so good, it will stay in my head for the years to come.

Now that I think of it, Depression Quest ticks a lot of those boxes.

So does Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneering

http://rpgmaker.net/games/2068/

Torturing. Causing pain and suffering. Taking screams and tears from a completely subdued human being.
That's the hobby of people from a community called The Dungeoneers. Dungeoneers have their own private dungeons in their homes (hence the name), to which they take strangers - those naive enough to fall for the dungeoneer's charms.
Members from this community won't settle for just executing their sadistic game. They must show it to other people. For that, they videotape their torture sessions and post it to online forums, to get other member's appreciation and reviews.

BE tells the story of Verge, a dungeoneer depressed because he's lost his touch with doing decent videos, and because the love of his life, Daily, couldn't care less about his existence.

Gameplay
BE has two distinct gameplay aspects:
--The first one is similar to a Dating Sim, in which you have to approach strangers on the street and seduce them to go home with you, mainly using dialog choices.
--The second one is more like a puzzle, and it consists of setting up your dungeon to torture your victims. Your goal at this stage is making your victim leave the dungeon completely shattered psychologically and physically, but still alive. That's what the Dungeoneers call a Beautiful Escape, and it's the ultimate goal of the torture sessions. You can also get them killed, get them too depressed to leave the dungeon, or even have them leave healthy enough, but your viewers won't appreciate your videos as much. It's all about the delicate balance between too much and not enough.

Gameplay elements are tempered with lots of dialogs and the resolution of Verge's love story.

Miserable Panda

Educated
What SCO said.
Start with something like Spider and Web, Anchorhead or Galatea. IF genre was ridiculously prolific.

I've tried Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and A Mind Forever Voyaging. The former had insane puzzles and I never finished it, the latter was incredibly amazing. Would you say they are similar to AMFV?

Alfons

Prophet
I have recently been playing a game with an awesome plot.

It's an RTS in which the world is being overly populated and you control different military units of different factions. The transitions are kinda jarring at times. One moment you are in control of the red square unit and the next you are playing as the blue rectangle.

What makes it even more tragic is that many successful missions end up being suicide missions. You destroy the enemy but often lose the unit and many of your allies, but it's all the done for the greater good.

The only way to play it is on ironman and if the population reaches its highest point you lose.

It's pretty old so I don't know if that's your thing, but just google it. The name is Tetris.

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
Try these 4 games:

• Bastion (you'll fall in love with the narrator's voice)
  • Ori and the blind forest (good platformer with a pretty good story)
  • To the moon (short but memorable and has charming characters)
  • Machinarium (A point and click adventure game where you solve puzzles. You're a robot who saves a robot city from a certain Brotherhood)

zwanzig_zwoelf

A few years ago I played a sci-fi game where you're the savior of the world during zombie invasion so you have to save the galaxy while fighting off hungry men and women longing for your heroic semen and you need to decide whether you'll provide your semen to a few women to make sure your dynasty of heroes continues or you can waste your semen by having sex with men, or you can ignore them and focus on saving the galaxy like a proper heroic asshole.

The game is pretty boring, and the story is mediocre, but the drama is worth it when you're so drunk, your intelligence falls to the barest minimum.
BTW, the game is called Mass Effect.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Game of Thrones RPG from Cyanide might fit your bill. The gameplay is not much to talk about, but the story and especially the two protagonists really carry the game.

Edit:
Oh, and the Yakuza games might work too if you can handle over-the-top Jap melodrama.

Last edited:

Tadek Boruta

Novice
Greetings people (or whatever you may consider yourselves). I've recently joined this forums for two reasons, and two reasons only. You sure know about your stuff, you look incredibly friendly and I need your help.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Pick random MMO and force some friends to play it with you. You will encounter so many weird/cool/creepy people that multiple stories will write itself. I'm not joking... or read a Bible :hahano:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom