Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Im out of good stories, may I ask for your help?

Gentle Player

Arcane
Ultima Age of Enlightenment trilogy (IV, V, VI) in order. Then you might carry on with Ultima VII and Serpent Isle.

Miserable Panda

Educated
Try these 4 games:

• Bastion (you'll fall in love with the narrator's voice)
  • Ori and the blind forest (good platformer with a pretty good story)
  • To the moon (short but memorable and has charming characters)
  • Machinarium (A point and click adventure game where you solve puzzles. You're a robot who saves a robot city from a certain Brotherhood)

Machinarium is actually on my old steam account, never have been downloaded since I got it. I will get to it right away.

I'd go with the Metal Age (Thief II) over the first one. Both have nice stories, but imho the second one is so much better in terms of how the missions are done.

Another game I should get on gog right now, thanks.

The Game of Thrones RPG from Cyanide might fit your bill. The gameplay is not much to talk about, but the story and especially the two protagonists really carry the game.

Edit:
Oh, and the Yakuza games might work too if you can handle over-the-top Jap melodrama.

That is something I was not expecting, the gameplay didnt attract me, but if you say the plot is worth it, I will download it.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Pick random MMO and force some friends to play it with you. You will encounter so many weird/cool/creepy people that multiple stories will write itself. I'm not joking... or read a Bible :hahano:

Believe, I tried everything. WoW, Guild Wars, even that disgusting MMO called Tera, nothing worker. We either split when we level up, or we realize the game sucks, and we uninstall right away. I will see if I can find something that appeals to everyone anyway. We have some good memories with Runescape.

Ultima Age of Enlightenment trilogy (IV, V, VI) in order. Then you might carry on with Ultima VII and Serpent Isle.

I could never get into Ultima, the UI really annoys me, Ive grown too accustomed to modern games, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The last game with a good story and actual gameplay probably has to be the aforementioned Cyanide's Game of Thrones.

On adventure game side there are some obvious picks like I Have no Mouth, and I Have to Scream. Or even Harvester, presuming that you can get to the right mind set. Dreamweb?

Kara no Shoujo is light on game, but will definitely leave a lasting impression.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I've tried Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and A Mind Forever Voyaging. The former had insane puzzles and I never finished it, the latter was incredibly amazing. Would you say they are similar to AMFV?
Have not played it.
Spider and Web had pretty little of puzzles, but last one was very, very good.
Anchorhead had wonderful feeling of dread when you combined all little clues. (Speaking of background information, Legacy: Realm of Terror was very good in that regard too)
Galatea was good and probably the most close to AMFV, having no conventional "puzzles" at all.
Just sieve through XYZZY Award.
http://xyzzyawards.org/awards/historical.php

Miserable Panda

Educated
I do not know what to believe anymore.
Stanley Parable was a masterpiece, and Binding of Isaac (Rebirth in particular) had an amazing story
:hmmm:

Also check out this thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lost-and-forgotten-except-by-us.98735/

Thanks for the link. And yes, that a was a serious opinion. But it seems I don't belong here, judging by the way I see those games

I've tried Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and A Mind Forever Voyaging. The former had insane puzzles and I never finished it, the latter was incredibly amazing. Would you say they are similar to AMFV?
Have not played it.
Spider and Web had pretty little of puzzles, but last one was very, very good.
Anchorhead had wonderful feeling of dread when you combined all little clues. (Speaking of background information, Legacy: Realm of Terror was very good in that regard too)
Galatea was good and probably the most close to AMFV, having no conventional "puzzles" at all.
Just sieve through XYZZY Award.
http://xyzzyawards.org/awards/historical.php

I will check it out, thanks.

PS: Betrayal at kondor, pff. You guys know your stuff

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I do not know what to believe anymore.
Stanley Parable was a masterpiece, and Binding of Isaac (Rebirth in particular) had an amazing story
:hmmm:

Also check out this thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lost-and-forgotten-except-by-us.98735/

Thanks for the link. And yes, that a was a serious opinion. But it seems I don't belong here, judging by the way I see those games
Bullshiat.
52376059.jpg

zwanzig_zwoelf

If you want an amazing story, try Beneath a Steel Sky.

But if you're a six-years-old pussy who looks for "emotional experience", go play Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, To The Moon, Stanley Parable and whatever emo crap is produced today. I can't believe adults praise their stories, while in reality those stories are mediocre at best.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
On the visual novel/Jap fag area, the Phoenix Wright series and Ghost Trick could work too. Lots and lots of plot twists and some gameplay as well. Ghost Trick in particular had some excellent twists and turns in it and left me fairly astonished at the end of it.

Alfons

Prophet
Stanley Parable??????????
Why do people keep bringing that shit up? It doesn't have any story it's just a mindfuck. If you want to be pretentious about it, it's an experience, but a fucking story? No fucking way.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Since you enjoyed Stanley Parable, that means you don't mind hipster indie crap, which means you might also want to check out Kentucky Route Zero. Personally I think it's the best of all the hipster indie stuff.

For the record, Stanley Parable's humor fell flat for me so YMMV.

Miserable Panda

Educated
Since you enjoyed Stanley Parable, that means you don't mind hipster indie crap, which means you might also want to check out Kentucky Route Zero. Personally I think it's the best of all the hipster indie stuff.

For the record, Stanley Parable's humor fell flat for me so YMMV.

That is a reasonable thing to say. I mean, sure it is pretentious, it has an awful plot (in fact, it does not have a plot altogether), but it was an enjoyable and funny experience that made me reflect on some (pretty superficial) stuff. I'm not really sure if all games recommended here will be able to do that (however, I will gradly try them, so far Machinarium and Pathologic proved to be great games).
I already finished Kentucky, and I'm waiting for the final chapters. You are right though, it felt so hipstery, it was hard to even finish it.

On the visual novel/Jap fag area, the Phoenix Wright series and Ghost Trick could work too. Lots and lots of plot twists and some gameplay as well. Ghost Trick in particular had some excellent twists and turns in it and left me fairly astonished at the end of it.

I played the first Phoenix Wright games, and had a great time with them (didnt play the ones focused on Apollo though), but I never heard of Ghost Trick until now. I will look it up.

The last game with a good story and actual gameplay probably has to be the aforementioned Cyanide's Game of Thrones.

On adventure game side there are some obvious picks like I Have no Mouth, and I Have to Scream. Or even Harvester, presuming that you can get to the right mind set. Dreamweb?

Kara no Shoujo is light on game, but will definitely leave a lasting impression.

Will start as soon as I can, I watched some videos and it doesnt look like the usual visual novel (that is a huge plus)

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Believe, I tried everything. WoW, Guild Wars, even that disgusting MMO called Tera, nothing worker. We either split when we level up, or we realize the game sucks, and we uninstall right away. I will see if I can find something that appeals to everyone anyway. We have some good memories with Runescape.

Lineage II c6 :obviously:

EDIT: No really, Shadow Madness for PSX 1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom