Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm very upset about Div 2's combat

Murk

Arcane
It actually runs very smooth for the most part, but I do have problems every now and again like my mentioned memory issue where a simple restart of the game fixed it.

I believe I meet the minimum requirements for it (1.8ghz athlon xp 2500; 1.5 gb ram; 512 mb radeon hd3850). the weird part is that the game mostly runs well but at times stutters worse than gothic 3 on full settings, and div 2 is mostly on medium settings with shadows entirely off (was hurting my eyes tbh and made shit way too dark).

I'm gonna say that the usual stutter/skipping is my system's issue, but the major problems that actually make me rage-quit are from the game.

If Risen ran on full settings with no less than 20fps at any given time, I don't see why Div2 should break into stuttering and rendering issues every other minute.

I'm going to reinstall the game before continuing on to see if maybe it really was the hotfix that fucked it up.

And it dawns on me that I forgot the most annoying issue - the inventory lags like a motherfucker and usually takes 30 seconds or more to show what items I even have. if I mouse over them, they lag terribly to the point that even the music is stuttering. This issue didn't exist at ALL until the hotfix... definitely gonna try a clean install (god I hope it doesn't kill my save files).

edit: hotfix was the fuggin' problem, shit's running so good right now.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Mikayel said:
It actually runs very smooth for the most part, but I do have problems every now and again like my mentioned memory issue where a simple restart of the game fixed it.

I believe I meet the minimum requirements for it (1.8ghz athlon xp 2500; 1.5 gb ram; 512 mb radeon hd3850). the weird part is that the game mostly runs well but at times stutters worse than gothic 3 on full settings, and div 2 is mostly on medium settings with shadows entirely off (was hurting my eyes tbh and made shit way too dark).

I'm gonna say that the usual stutter/skipping is my system's issue, but the major problems that actually make me rage-quit are from the game.

If Risen ran on full settings with no less than 20fps at any given time, I don't see why Div2 should break into stuttering and rendering issues every other minute.

I'm going to reinstall the game before continuing on to see if maybe it really was the hotfix that fucked it up.

And it dawns on me that I forgot the most annoying issue - the inventory lags like a motherfucker and usually takes 30 seconds or more to show what items I even have. if I mouse over them, they lag terribly to the point that even the music is stuttering. This issue didn't exist at ALL until the hotfix... definitely gonna try a clean install (god I hope it doesn't kill my save files).

Yeah, it's sounding more and more like scaling / bad optimisation issues and/or the hotfix has introduced a memory leak or something.

As for save files, back them up from "<user profile>\AppData\Local\Divinity 2" (Win7) before uninstalling. Should be ok though, I have ED+FoV and DKS installs sharing the same profile folder without problems.

Murk

Arcane
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST IT WAS THE HOTFIX HOLY FUCK

The rendering issues, the stuttering, the cut scene problem, and even performance in general is all better now.

Goddamn that hotfix fucked me bad. Even loading times are going better! I'm gonna have to get rid of those negatives.

Yeah I found the save-files but it didn't matter as the game kept 'em.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Yay, finally got Firewall. Also found and equipped a weapon that has "Increase your magic damage by 65." My magic missiles now do, per missile, 112 damage (i.e. everything dies in one-two shots) and my firewall kills everything on contact. Lololololol. Combat's now well and truly broken until I encounter enemies with more than 300 HP apiece, but at least I don't have to leap around anymore.

+ graphics are good, not great, but good - areas like caverns and catacombs are actually much much more beautiful than outdoor areas

Maybe I need to turn textures to ultra-high or something, because I don't see the beauty at merely "high". They're functional, though. My system exceeds min req. by a mile and a half anyway, so I might as well go full derp with the graphics settings.

I never installed the hotfix so have never experienced performance problems. :smug: (I did when ED was first released, but they fixed the inventory problem in DKS presumably.)

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Well fuck, I was thinking the combat was getting pretty easy too - then I walked into the forlorn cave on sentinal isle and told those bitches I was stronger than both of them.

My ranger/warrior is lvl 17, they're both 20 and they have minions - bitches cleaned my slate before I could blink. To make matters worse, I stupidly quick saved just before I fucking died.
:x

Resorted to an ealier save and though I'd try storming the tower with Sassan - got my ass kick there too, despite my extrodinary gymnastic abilities. So there's still some challenge left for me. Time to hand some old quests in so I can get a lvl or two up my sleve....

BTW: You guys know that quest rewards scale to you level right? So the longer you hang on to them the better the exp and rewards.

Murk

Arcane
Meh, unnecessary - I turn 'em in as I go and so far I've only been punked when I get lazy and don't use a potion of healing.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Mikayel said:
Meh, unnecessary - I turn 'em in as I go and so far I've only been punked when I get lazy and don't use a potion of healing.

Ahh, see that's how I keep the game challenging - I only cary a couple (3 at most) healing/revitalising potions on me at a time and never have them hot keyed. Only from pickups too - I never ever buy them.

I use them as an absolute last resort and a lot of the time I've already run out, as in the above cases.

It's ok, you can start calling me 'Sir' AlaCarcuss any time you want. :smug:

Murk

Arcane
Tradeoff being that you resort to power gaming to ensure maximum XP, right miss AlaCarcuss? Remember, not only do quest rewards scale but that enemy xp scales too.

Ho hooooo. Though to be honest I have enough hp regenerating shit stacked on top of one another that my health restores to full between battles.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Mikayel said:
Tradeoff being that you resort to power gaming to ensure maximum XP, right miss AlaCarcuss? Remember, not only do quest rewards scale but that enemy xp scales too.

Ho hooooo. Though to be honest I have enough hp regenerating shit stacked on top of one another that my health restores to full between battles.

True, but I tend to do that anyway in most RPG's - can't seem to help myself. Min/maxing, 100% completion an all that.

Nothing pisses me off than a game that, no matter what it's other qualities - is just too fucking easy (all the time). I don't mind so much if you're simply experiencing the progression of your character, with periods of god-like proficiency - as long as there's still places you can go or bosses you run into, that can still kick your ass.

BTW: I think there's somthing wrong with your keyboard - check your 'S', 'I' and 'R' keys, they seem to be malfunctioning - which could be a problem in a tough fight. :salute:

Murk

Arcane
Haha, well played. How far in are you right now? Just at Sentinel Island?

I completed what appears to be either a third or half of the quests in Orobas Fjords, and I gotta say I'm actually enjoying turning into a dragon and back into a human in the landscapes. Reports from people on here seemed to imply it was godawful but I'm kinda having fun... combat seems to be simple/boring but eh, fast form of travel.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Yay, got enough +Wisdom on my equipment now to ditch all of the points I invested in the skill. Battle tower respec can't come soon enough.

Just landed on sentinel island, level 16. I'm almost sad mobs don't respawn and you can't grind; there's only a finite amount of EXP to go around.

Tycn

Savant
Game goes way overboard with the specular/bloom, every surface in the dungeons looks like it's been gold leafed. Doesn't help that the player acts as a light source either.

Good for what it is, though. Maybe even good. Just wish there was a bit more depth to the character development.

Murk

Arcane
The Divinity games always handled a lack of mental attributes correctly, in my opinion. They required your character to experience events to actually use them in dialog instead of just "sufficient int detected: you pass". Both are doable but I do like this method, which was also used in Piranha Bytes' games, a bit more - at least in this regard.

Though varying levels of dialog that depend on stats/skills are also very cool.

DraQ

Arcane
I have my own copy of DKS. Bought the collector edition (the one with supposedly broken armours) due to no homo box art and price being the same.

Tycn said:
Game goes way overboard with the specular/bloom, every surface in the dungeons looks like it's been gold leafed.
You haven't seen oblivious, have you?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Mikayel said:
Haha, well played. How far in are you right now? Just at Sentinel Island?

I completed what appears to be either a third or half of the quests in Orobas Fjords, and I gotta say I'm actually enjoying turning into a dragon and back into a human in the landscapes. Reports from people on here seemed to imply it was godawful but I'm kinda having fun... combat seems to be simple/boring but eh, fast form of travel.

Yeah, I made it into the tower base and am just about to go summon the demon that is soul-forged with Laiken. This is another great example of different ways to complete quests as you can apparently take him head on as well?

I'm trying to alternate between this and 2W2 at the moment, as well as level my pure mage in ED+FoV (rather than DKS, which my Ranger/Fighter is playing - just to see the differences and to see what Lesi's talking about in regards to mage being shit).

Have to say, I'm enjoying this more than 2W2 (which is not shit by any means), seems to be a lot more content in Div2 and is much faster paced (not that that's necessarily a con), though I havn't got very far in 2W2 yet.

Lesifoere said:
Yay, got enough +Wisdom on my equipment now to ditch all of the points I invested in the skill. Battle tower respec can't come soon enough.

Just landed on sentinel island, level 16. I'm almost sad mobs don't respawn and you can't grind; there's only a finite amount of EXP to go around.

Woha! You can respec in the tower? I did not know that. Execellent, because I've wasted qute a few points in crapy skills. Apparently too, some skills I've invested in work best in the early game and become useless (or less useful) later on, like 'poisen arrow' - hence the respec being available I suppose?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Tycn said:
Game goes way overboard with the specular/bloom, every surface in the dungeons looks like it's been gold leafed. Doesn't help that the player acts as a light source either.

Welcome to the 21'st century.

Tycn said:
Good for what it is, though. Maybe even good. Just wish there was a bit more depth to the character development.

Definately good, maybe even great.

I really think it depends on how you view the game, as either an RPG with too much twitchy combat, or as an ARPG with a lot more RP than most ARPG's. I prefer the latter.

bobo_monkey

Novice
Nerdrage warning....!!!

Hey moron Lesifoere you called sombody with 650+ posts a Newfag? Are you an idiot? Just because some people dont have thousands of posts like your FAG FUICKING MORON ASSHOLE DIPSHIT NEGATIVE SPEWINGS PIECIECE OF CPRTSAPAPRAP CRAPP RASSAAGGGEEEE I HATE YOUOUUO DIDEIDIEDIE self doesnt mean we are newfags. You are the loser posting your pointlless drivel negative shit comment replies to everything go fuck yourself calling sombody who is postive and upbeat a newfag for expressing his opinion. I dont have thousands of posts and have been playing rpgs probably before you were born.Am I a newfag too?Fuck you dipshit.

Heres a newsflash. YOUR AN ASSHOLE. Want some reasons?

Your having trouble in an action rpg jumping and fightingat the same time, dont like dodging and have trouble hitting things with arrows IN A FUCKING ACTION RPG!!! Not only are you an asshole but your a fucking UNCORDINATED ASSHOLE WITH NO READING SKILLS. its an action rpg dipshit.

Wtf moron go fucking die somewhere and stop wasting my life reading your drivel. I want the 2.5 minutes back you STOLE FROM LIFE reading your crap. I am sending you a bill.

Murk

Arcane
I feel like I just saw a badger go nuts on something that threatened its offspring.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO BOBOMONKEYMAN BRO YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE ONLY NEWFAGS LIKE GAMES IT TAKLES AN EXPERIENCED MOTHERFUCKER WHO HAS BEEN PLAYING GAMES FOR ALMOST FIVE YEARS AND PLAYING THE SAME SHIT THEY HATE OVER AND OVER AND OVER TO BE TRUE BROS LOLLOLOLOLLOLLOL YOU CANT CRITICISZR GAMES LOLOLOLLOL IF YOU NEVER PLAYED IT OR YOU PLAYED IT TEN TIMES YOU ARE ONLY AN UNRECOGNIZED GENIUS LOOLOOLOL

BRO YOU ARE NO BRIAN SURGEON LOLOLLOL

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
bobo_monkey said:
Nerdrage warning....!!!

Hey moron Lesifoere you called sombody with 650+ posts a Newfag? Are you an idiot? Just because some people dont have thousands of posts like your FAG FUICKING MORON ASSHOLE DIPSHIT NEGATIVE SPEWINGS PIECIECE OF CPRTSAPAPRAP CRAPP RASSAAGGGEEEE I HATE YOUOUUO DIDEIDIEDIE self doesnt mean we are newfags. You are the loser posting your pointlless drivel negative shit comment replies to everything go fuck yourself calling sombody who is postive and upbeat a newfag for expressing his opinion. I dont have thousands of posts and have been playing rpgs probably before you were born.Am I a newfag too?Fuck you dipshit.

Heres a newsflash. YOUR AN ASSHOLE. Want some reasons?

Your having trouble in an action rpg jumping and fightingat the same time, dont like dodging and have trouble hitting things with arrows IN A FUCKING ACTION RPG!!! Not only are you an asshole but your a fucking UNCORDINATED ASSHOLE WITH NO READING SKILLS. its an action rpg dipshit.

Wtf moron go fucking die somewhere and stop wasting my life reading your drivel. I want the 2.5 minutes back you STOLE FROM LIFE reading your crap. I am sending you a bill.

:retarded:

Hey, cool it bro.

I'm the newfag she was refering to and she already clarified she meant she played Div2 before me - which is true.

Who's alt are you btw?

Also, despite what she says, she obviously thinks the game is worth playing or she wouldn't be starting from scratch again with a new char after loosing her saves.

OT: I just fucking rage quit myself. Spent the last few hours running around Broken Valley cleaning up old quests, doing the disenchant/enchant thing on my weapons, buying selling - all that good stuff in preparation for taking over the tower.

Once I gained access to the secret portals (by handing over the parchments), I used one of them to access the previously inaccessable storage cave. Got jumped by a group of level 14 skeletons, that must've landed a few criticals - fucking died!! Last save was from hours ago!!! (thought I'd be pretty safe running around BV at lvl 19).

Fuck. Wasted an entire morning.

:x

Aothan

Magister
is the difference in damage mitigation from sword and shield usage as equally significant in the latter parts of the game ? The overall difference in damage when compared to a two-handed sword is not all that significant from what I can tell, but the damage mitigation can be quite pronounced. The only distinction I have noticed (comparing my gameplay to brief observations of a friend's) is when an encounter out-levels the player's character by a number of levels, here two-handed swords can actually generate damage, whilst the single-handed weapons might not even draw a scratch on leather armours.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Aothan said:
is the difference in damage mitigation from sword and shield usage as equally significant in the latter parts of the game ? The overall difference in damage when compared to a two-handed sword is not all that significant from what I can tell, but the damage mitigation can be quite pronounced. The only distinction I have noticed (comparing my gameplay to brief observations of a friend's) is when an encounter out-levels the player's character by a number of levels, here two-handed swords can actually generate damage, whilst the single-handed weapons might not even draw a scratch on leather armours.

Actually, I was wondering the same thing myself. Been switching between the two, but seeing as I've been putting a few points into sword & shield proficiency - decided to stick with that.

The legendary two-hander I had with a +70 to damage enchantment was a bit hard to give up though.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
hahaohwow.gif @ the nerd rage

Sounds like the dude who raged at me in /gd/ over shitty fantasy authors, but even more incoherent than usual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom