Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Please throw out the retarded admin/diplo/military points idea. Also i see stability as a resource. Please no, no magic "stability" levels and decrease. Its stupid. We want continuous ratings/coefficients, or at least not as quantified as in the EU4, with bad, neutral, good[-1,0,1 stability]. Drastic magic jumps like that are retarded.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Might wanna post that on their forums, but don't expect a warm welcome for stating such ideas.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Will this be a "best of" their other games, or turn out to be a "worst of"? I don't see a mechanical USP yet.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Guys, you do know there's also a WWI Supreme Ruler, right?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/600280/Supreme_Ruler_The_Great_War/
That works even LESS than the WW2 scenario, because the further backwards the dial is turned the more and more helpless the AI is with the economics and research which thus in turn causes more and more snowballing. I've never seen WW1 last more than a year, or AI Japan not get instantly defeated by China.

Though when one thinks of Great War in context with the real form of the game, Ultimate, one can see another one of the major Doing It Wrong things, which is the use of a 24 hour timescale for a game that can span more than a century.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
me.jpg

Bros, don't buy your bud in Nola.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't see it selling very well
Why not?
Oversaturation of the paradox market,they have four games with endless DLCs. Even the most hardcore fans are getting annoyed at the endless dlc. Having too much games deludes their market niche and turns people off. I am truly amazed at Paradox people,they are next level incompetent. Should have fixed they games and gathered some good will,a full 60bucks CK 2 package and stop developing dlcs for the game,plus repackage of EU4 making a 60 bucks for the game and all the content DLCs exepth the newer ones. Don't know if this level of retardation is native to the Swedes.

Another thing is that Rome is kind of overused. There could be done a lot of interesting things with it,but paradox lacks the talent and the will. Meh,SJWs,wouldn't be surprised if Egypt is filled with blacks of arabs.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Oversaturation of the paradox market,they have four games with endless DLCs. Even the most hardcore fans are getting annoyed at the endless dlc. Having too much games deludes their market niche and turns people off. I am truly amazed at Paradox people,they are next level incompetent. Should have fixed they games and gathered some good will,a full 60bucks CK 2 package and stop developing dlcs for the game,plus repackage of EU4 making a 60 bucks for the game and all the content DLCs exepth the newer ones. Don't know if this level of retardation is native to the Swedes.

Another thing is that Rome is kind of overused. There could be done a lot of interesting things with it,but paradox lacks the talent and the will. Meh,SJWs,wouldn't be surprised if Egypt is filled with blacks of arabs.

Their share price skyrocketed from SEK 33 at the IPO to SEK 200 in the last 2 years, so financially, they do extremely well. Their revenues also double all the time, so, like it or not, they know what they are doing.

But I agree, that I don't expect Rome to become a CK2 or EU4 type of success, even though personally I'm more likely to buy it rather than EU4.

Paradox says they won't do small titles like Sengoku again, because they didn't sell, so they certainly aim higher with Rome, but I think it will turn out weaker than EU4 (brand) and CK2 (unexpected major success because of the youtube friendly character / emergent story focus).

The name is also kind of misleading, it's not a game just about Rome, the map stretches from Sweden to India and the timeline seems to allow a focus on the diadochi.

There is no such a thing as too many DLCs for their fandom.

Probably because it's mostly made up of younger folks who in all likelihood never even played a video game that didn't end up costing hundreds of dollars.

1447042975975.jpg

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think it's mostly old nerds who just have the disposable income to spend $200 over 6 years on a game they have 1000 hours in. It's their equivalent to an MMO subscription.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Their share price skyrocketed from SEK 33 at the IPO to SEK 200 in the last 2 years, so financially, they do extremely well. Their revenues also double all the time, so, like it or not, they know what they are doing.

But I agree, that I don't expect Rome to become a CK2 or EU4 type of success, even though personally I'm more likely to buy it rather than EU4.

Paradox says they won't do small titles like Sengoku again, because they didn't sell, so they certainly aim higher with Rome, but I think it will turn out weaker than EU4 (brand) and CK2 (unexpected major success because of the youtube friendly character / emergent story focus).

The name is also kind of misleading, it's not a game just about Rome, the map stretches from Sweden to India and the timeline seems to allow a focus on the diadochi.
Share prices and income could be very misleading some times. I do agree that they are pretty financially healthy and have good income. But when you oversaturate a certain genre,sales begin do diminish....a lot. I am not having some illusion that this game will sink Paradox or something similar,don't even want it to be honest. They do make unique games even if they have shitty DLC practice. What i want to see is good competition.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What a pile of crap,just go to the paradox forums and see people begging for dlcs.
That is without any doubt,it doesn't mean that it sells that well thou. A lot of people here played Deadfire,yet the game sold like shit burger. Echo cambers are never accurate representation of the market and its whales. Paradox's forum is filled with retarded yesmen that want to suck some swedish dev's juice.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Share prices and income could be very misleading some times. I do agree that they are pretty financially healthy and have good income. But when you oversaturate a certain genre,sales begin do diminish....a lot. I am not having some illusion that this game will sink Paradox or something similar,don't even want it to be honest. They do make unique games even if they have shitty DLC practice. What i want to see is good competition.
The general problem is that the competition just doesn't show up. Supreme Ruler as mentioned is a huge mess, and there's one very important point to its mess-ness that shows WHY Paradox has such dominance over the grand strategy market: There's fuck-all the average player can do to fix Supreme Ruler the way they'd wish to, made worse by how overdesigned the game is. The accessibility of modding with Paradox titles is a HUGE advantage they have, and this focus on accessible personalization of the user experience also shows in how the games and DLCs are structured: For all the usual complaints that they are doing something too simple, the whole idea is that the mechanics are there to be modded so if someone gets a raging erection over overdetailed production and tech trees they totally can do that.

Another thing sort of related to the modding aspect is that Paradox effectively TRIED to create competition when they had their phase of trying to fund modders-turned-studios games... Which turned to be a losing prospect all the way through because East vs West bungled its priorities and resource allocation and Magna Mundi was doomed to fail because the mod is haphazardly overdesigned shit too and Ubik gonna Ubik. So really there's just two options: Either what Paradox does is not easy to do, or there is a plague of incompetence. Or third option, which is both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom