Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
That's a lot of provinces. What could possibly go wrong...

Hellraiser

Arcane
It looks ok on paper. However I am skeptical if this will reach anywhere near completion as there were already cases of DF clones getting released unfinished and in fact abandoned, Spacebase DF-9 and not as bad but definitely unfinished) Clockwork Empires come to mind. Other clones were very superficial and shallow (Gnomoria).

Rimworld was a much needed fluke.

edit: wrong topic. Meant to be in the one about that medieval Rimworld lookalike.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It looks ok on paper. However I am skeptical if this will reach anywhere near completion as there were already cases of DF clones getting released unfinished and in fact abandoned, Spacebase DF-9 and not as bad but definitely unfinished) Clockwork Empires come to mind. Other clones were very superficial and shallow (Gnomoria).

Rimworld was a much needed fluke.
"Graveyard Keeper" looks like a promising game similar to those that you wrote about.

Zeriel

Arcane
Really torn on this one. It's the exact time period I want, and Paradox 3D maps are finally starting to not look absolutely atrocious, but all the game mechanics look like warmed over trash that carries over the worst parts of EU4 design.

I'll probably play it, but man, it hurts to imagine how much better it could be if they weren't streamlining all the good parts out of their games.

So they're lifting characters from CK2 wholesale. Not that that's a bad thing.

EU:Rome had characters, and was one of (the?) first Paradox games to push them as a core facet of gameplay. The game sucks because the trait system isn't well-developed, there's almost no events, and all characters in a culture seem to come from 1-6 templates copy-pasted over and over, but if you're going to accuse a game of lifting stuff, you should be saying that CK2 lifted characters straight from EU:Rome.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
So they're lifting characters from CK2 wholesale. Not that that's a bad thing.

EU:Rome had characters, and was one of (the?) first Paradox games to push them as a core facet of gameplay. The game sucks because the trait system isn't well-developed, there's almost no events, and all characters in a culture seem to come from 1-6 templates copy-pasted over and over, but if you're going to accuse a game of lifting stuff, you should be saying that CK2 lifted characters straight from EU:Rome.

Umm.... characters as the focus were already in the first Crusader Kings, which predates EU:Rome. The developers acknowledged that the characters idea came from the first CK, but they decided to make them much more limited in terms of events and control in EU:Rome because they didn't want the characters to be the focus of the game like they were in CK.

Yeah, I read that after I posted it. I only played CK briefly and didn't remember characters being a major thing, but I guess it's been too long.

Dev Diary #10 said:
Hello everyone and welcome to the tenth development diary for Imperator. This time we take a quick look at the country-rank system.

Each country in the game is determined to be of a certain rank, depending on their size, and different ranks give different bonuses and abilities. Please be aware that all values will be tweaked constantly during development.

City State

This is only possible if your country is only 1 city large. A City State can be a part of a defensive league, and have the following bonuses.
  • +20% Commerce Income
  • +20% Defensiveness
  • +1 Diplomatic Relation
Local Power

This is countries that have less than 10 cities. Local Powers can be part of defensive leagues, and they have the following bonuses.
  • +2 Diplomatic Relation
Major Power

This is countries that at least 10 cities. They can use the diplomatic abilities Threaten War and Guarantee, and they have the following bonuses.
  • +3 Diplomatic Relation
  • +1 Trade Route in Capital
  • +1 of each Power for matching Ideas to Government Form for a total of +2.
Great Power

These are countries with at least 20 provinces, and that are not subjects of other nations. They can use the diplomatic abilities Intervene in War, Enforce Peace, Threaten War and Guarantee, and they have the following bonuses.
  • +5 Diplomatic Relation
  • +2 Trade Route in Capital
  • +2 of each Power for matching Ideas to Government Form for a total of +3.
index.php

Intervene in War
You can join on any side in a war, where you have good relation with the warleader.

Enforce Peace
You can force a white-peace on a nation in a war, if you have good relations with their enemies.

Guarantee
You can protect any nation of lower rank from being attacked, giving you casus belli on anyone attacking them.

Threaten War
You can use a claim, to demand a nation to secede a city or province to you, to avoid an expensive war.

Next week, we’ll talk about unit abilities.

mondblut

Arcane
Fabricate Claims

LOL, seriously? I just can picture Caesar forging Tarquinius-era documents claiming that Gaul is ancestral Roman possession, in order to present it to the ancient UN and the Pope of Jupiter to get a permission to go and conquer it. :roll:

Paradox, always busy trying to make their map-painting more boring.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They could just named it differently, "Prepare territorial expansion" or some shit, but it seems they can't get rid of their EUIV mindset.

Zeriel

Arcane
Fabricate Claims

LOL, seriously? I just can picture Caesar forging Tarquinius-era documents claiming that Gaul is ancestral Roman possession, in order to present it to the ancient UN and the Pope of Jupiter to get a permission to go and conquer it. :roll:

You laugh, but there was an element of this. Rome engineered a lot of situations to make themselves seem like the "aggrieved party" to then justify going in and taking over militarily. Just like the whole "spreading democracy" thing in the modern world. They weren't manufacturing land deeds, but there was definitely a preamble and justification whenever they annexed territory.

mondblut

Arcane
Fabricate Claims

You laugh, but there was an element of this. Rome engineered a lot of situations to make themselves seem like the "aggrieved party" to then justify going in and taking over militarily. Just like the whole "spreading democracy" thing in the modern world. They weren't manufacturing land deeds, but there was definitely a preamble and justification whenever they annexed territory.

Dunno, I suppose a republic might need to spend some jewgold on hawkers to convince the general populace that the newest military adventure serves the interests of everybody and not just its ambitious patron. But most ancient despots needed no excuses and casus bellies when they wanted to take some turf they discovered to be vulnerable. Lex talionis, bitches.

Your ancestors came into Macedonia and the rest of Greece and treated us ill, without any previous injury from us. I, having been appointed commander-in-chief of the Greeks, and wishing to take revenge on the Persians, crossed over into Asia, hostilities being begun by you. For you sent aid to the Perinthians who were dealing unjustly with my father; and Ochus sent forces into Thrace, which was under our rule. My father was killed by conspirators whom you instigated, as you have yourself boasted to all in your letters; and after slaying Arses, as well as Bagoas, and unjustly seizing the throne contrary to the law of the Persians, and ruling your subjects unjustly, you sent unfriendly letters about me to the Greeks, urging them to wage war with me. You have also dispatched money to the Lacedaemonians, and certain other Greeks; but none of the States received it, except the Lacedaemonians. As your agents destroyed my friends, and were striving to dissolve the league which I had formed among the Greeks, I took the field against you, because you were the party who commenced the hostility. Since I have vanquished your generals and viceroys in the previous battle, and now yourself and your forces in like manner, I am, by the gift of the gods, in possession of your land. As many of the men who fought in your army as were not killed in the battle, but fled to me for refuge, I am protecting; and they are with me, not against their own will, but they are serving in my army as volunteers. Come to me therefore, since I am lord of all Asia; but if you are afraid you may suffer any harsh treatment from me in case you come to me, send some of your friends to receive pledges of safety from me. Come to me then, and ask for your mother, wife, and children, and anything else you wish. For whatever you ask for you will receive; and nothing shall be denied you. But for the future, whenever you send to me, send to me as the king of Asia, and do not address to me your wishes as to an equal; but if you are in need of anything, speak to me as to the man who is lord of all your territories. If you act otherwise, I shall deliberate concerning you as an evil-doer; and if you dispute my right to the kingdom, stay and fight another battle for it; but do not run away. For wherever you may be, I intend to march against you.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fabricate Claims

Dunno, I suppose a republic might need to spend some jewgold on hawkers to convince the general populace that the newest military adventure serves the interests of everybody and not just its ambitious patron. But most ancient despots needed no excuses and casus bellies when they wanted to take some turf they discovered to be vulnerable. Lex talionis, bitches.

The funniest thing about this is how sometimes, the justification for war would come after the war had been fought.

Caesar marched into Gaul and roflstompted everything, pissing off the senators back home because he was getting too powerful.
Then he wrote a book to justify his actions in Gaul and published it.

In Paradox games, you have to write the book to justify your actions first, and only then can you go to war... and you can only take the provinces that you claimed in your justification lol.
That's not how this works.
That's not how any of this works.

Zeriel

Arcane
I was going to say: the idea of justifying isn't bad, but in an ideal world and game you would have the option of NOT justifying as an alternative, with all sorts of bad or mediocre consequences for doing so. Then at least it would seem like an actual thing that mattered, instead of just a formality.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Quite often, the Romans decided to "help" neighboring countries / cities if they came under attack of a powerful enemy. I think some games have the option that you can become a guarantor state.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Uhhh it will be a nu EU4 campaign set in ancient times. You guys are overthinking it,there wouldn't be any different than EU4,except that the map looks uglier. If you guys want to play the game earlier i would recommend to download "Imperium Universalis" mod. Pretty sure that it is better than Imperator on release.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Especially funny is in HoI4 that you have to justify a war goal or develop a national idea that gives you a war goal before you can declare war on a country.

Wanna go past Maginot through Belgium as Germany? LOL can only declare war on Belgium if you have justified it LOL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom