Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improvements on the forum model

Would you like to be able to see a thread that has been filtered, showing only what matters?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • No!

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Too much trouble..

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • What?

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

tiagocc0

Arcane
Ok, don't know if this has been done before or how difficult it would be to make on XenForo but here is my idea anyway.
I'm talking about it because I'm making a desktop forum application to use at work so we have an internal forum inside our own application and I'm planning on making it there. (It's very simple one but with some neat features)

Basically every thread would have two ways for you to read them.
'Original' where you can see every post inside the thread and 'On The Subject' where every irrelevant post is hidden so only what matters is shown.
There are two ways to achieve this: a mod hides what's irrelevant or users vote on what should be hidden.
Probably the first way should be a lot better but could give a lot more work to the mods.

So instead on relying on the 'ignore' feature we could give everybody a way of checking just what's important on a thread.
This wouldn't be done on every thread but on a few selected and important threads in case it relies only on the moderators to choose the relevant posts.

forumCodexSuggestion.png

This could however be expanded where you could give an option for everyone to mark what should be hidden or not, so I could hide whatever I wanted and someone else for example could check my version of that thread.
Giving this feature to everyone might be a bit too much, but if given to a selected few and trusted users this could work well in conjunction with the mods and could also relieve them on having to do it alone.

With the above we could then have more than two ways to read the thread, for example 'Original', 'On The Subject: by Jaesun' and 'On The Subject: by tiagocc0'. Expanding it even more we may have the ability to change the title so in a post about a game for example we could have: 'Original', 'About Combat: by Jaesun' and 'About mechanics: by tiagocc0' and then one thread wouldn't need to be separated to be coherent and even mega threads could still be useful.

Also when people start seeing their posts being hidden from the 'On the Subject' view they may stop posting crap or they can come here and whine (thus creating more drama). It's a win-win situation!

From a developers view the first idea is not that complicated, we would have to create a control variable for every post on the database and create a second way to view threads where they exclude posts that have been marked by the control variable.
Everything else gets way more complicated than that.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Ok, don't know if this has been done before...

There are two ways to achieve this: a mod hides what's irrelevant or users vote on what should be hidden....

Slashdot says hi to you from its time machine, 16 years ago

Zep--

zwanzig_zwoelf

By the way, someone was bitching about site problems, broken CSS or something.
I assume they were fixed. Or there were no problem. At least it works fine on IE. :troll:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I have hidden all the non-relevant posts in this thread.

:troll:

Hey DU, some people seem to have the problem where they see niggers in my posts. I don't see any but I can imagine how annoying seeing niggers everywhere would be, so maybe you could help them not see the niggers?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Hey DU, some people seem to have the problem where they see niggers in my posts. I don't see any but I can imagine how annoying seeing niggers everywhere would be, so maybe you could help them not see the niggers?
Why do you think black people should be hidden? Are you racist?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Why do you think black people should be hidden? Are you racist?

Well, I wouldn't say "hidden". I don't mind people being black as long as they keep it to themselves and don't parade it in public for everyone to see. There's nothing wrong with being black, but I don't see why they feel the need to let the whole world know about it. If they're discrete about their niggerdom, we can coexist peacefully, and you won't see me say a single word against my black neighbors. It's not like I'm racist or anything

So, I'd rather use the word "discrete" instead of "hidden", They don't need to hide per se, just keep themselves out of my sight on average.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom