Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Lhynn

Arcane
People cheesing the draugr holding the tablet on skyrim is about as important a problem as the one that immersive sweetroll solves.

People cheesing the draugr holding the tablet on skyrim is about as important a problem as the one that immersive sweetroll solves.

It kind of is, as the single most often complained about things in Requiem are

1) oh god what's up with archers
2) oh god what's up with Bleak Falls Barrow
3) oh god what's up with Nazeem's power level

The third one might not be entirely correct, but that's beside the point. The issue is that the game urges you to go there as soon as possible when Requiem wants you to do the opposite, and simply having the monsters inside pound your ass doesn't seem to be a good solution.

DraQ

Arcane
BTW: Does anyone have experience with both EMD and Requiem's own dragons?
I kind of came to Requiem without wanting to let go of MD I was already using, so my experience with un-MD'd requified dragons is sketchy, although they seem considerably weaker than EMM unleveled nightmare version judging from vids like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXe7jiru9c8
as well as from a brief scuffle I dimly recall having with Mirmulnir wounded dragon.

Do they have any interesting features or are they just vanilla dragons with better armor and far more raep?

Gord

Arcane
It's been quite some time since I played with vanilla dragons, but I think Requiem is mostly vanilla + a good dosis of raep, with 1.8 upping the dose, as far as I can tell.
They do seem to get some kind of fear aura, but I think it only affects NPCs that aren't guards or your followers.

Lhynn

Arcane

The third one might not be entirely correct, but that's beside the point. The issue is that the game urges you to go there as soon as possible when Requiem wants you to do the opposite, and simply having the monsters inside pound your ass doesn't seem to be a good solution.
Have they thought of adding an NPC to delay the main quest? maybe have you do some shit around.

Gord

Arcane
Have they thought of adding an NPC to delay the main quest? maybe have you do some shit around.

They should team up with the Interesting NPC guys (the ones doing the non-cringe NPCs at least).

mastroego

Arcane
I already use that Trade&Barter mod, didn't even know the author rebalanced some other stuff as well.
Thanks, will try that out some time. But you still need some magic mod like Apocalypse or Midas to use along with ACE, right?

Basically yes, as ACE only changes the Enchanting Skill tree IIRC.
I use Apocalypse + Empowered Magic.
And if you think such mods might make things easier, consider that I also use:

- Immersive Creatures
- Deadly Dragons
- Dragon Combat Overhaul
+
- ACE Combat (well, I mean the combat modules here)
- Deadly Combat
- Combat Evolved (core)
- High Level Enemies
- ASIS
- ASIS deleveler

Enemies mean business with this setting.

DraQ

Arcane
It's been quite some time since I played with vanilla dragons, but I think Requiem is mostly vanilla + a good dosis of raep, with 1.8 upping the dose, as far as I can tell.
They do seem to get some kind of fear aura, but I think it only affects NPCs that aren't guards or your followers.
EMD dragons seem to pack less raep, at least in melee, but they are almost impossible to kill regardless of cheese and have an array of fun things to throw at you.

The main thing is how.

I think maybe modifying the dungeon to include a second lock somewhere (boss sarcophagus), and dropping a dead NPC (maybe a Thalmor nightblade sent to scout out the place) with a note that would allow player to get the relevant item (for example a replica of another, damaged claw key)? It would allow padding the BFB quest to desired length.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

- Deadly Combat
- Combat Evolved (core)
- High Level Enemies
- ASIS
- ASIS deleveler

I already used ASIS and High Level Enemies. I think ASIS already makes for a noticable difference to vanilla, enemies do lots of interesting things.
I also used Revenge of the Enemies, mod description sounded nice.
But I have to say, I'm a little confused about how these combat tweak mods interact with each other. I doubt that all of them can show their full potential when you mix them, so I'm a bit hesitant to add more combat tweaks to my setup.
Combat Evolved for example changes enemy AI. ASIS and Deadly Combat do so too. Combat Evolved changes stagger and bashing mechanics, Deadly Combat does that too.
So how do I make sense of all that, and why does the Combat Evolved author claim that his mod works best with Deadly Combat when both change the same stuff? :?

Gord

Arcane
I think maybe modifying the dungeon to include a second lock somewhere (boss sarcophagus), and dropping a dead NPC (maybe a Thalmor nightblade sent to scout out the place) with a note that would allow player to get the relevant item (for example a replica of another, damaged claw key)? It would allow padding the BFB quest to desired length.

Something like this might work, yes. Also it would be doable without big changes to the MQ. They would still need to come up with a good story, of course.

Btw. I checked bashing of locks.
It works, kinda, as it's limited to normal chests, not the radiant quest stuff chests. Bummer.
An unlock scroll would be nice, imo, they should be rare, either hand-placed or rather expensive, to be reserved for stuff you otherwise couldn't reach until much later.

mastroego

Arcane

- Deadly Combat
- Combat Evolved (core)
- High Level Enemies
- ASIS
- ASIS deleveler

I already used ASIS and High Level Enemies. I think ASIS already makes for a noticable difference to vanilla, enemies do lots of interesting things.
I also used Revenge of the Enemies, mod description sounded nice.
But I have to say, I'm a little confused about how these combat tweak mods interact with each other. I doubt that all of them can show their full potential when you mix them, so I'm a bit hesitant to add more combat tweaks to my setup.
Combat Evolved for example changes enemy AI. ASIS and Deadly Combat do so too. Combat Evolved changes stagger and bashing mechanics, Deadly Combat does that too.
So how do I make sense of all that, and why does the Combat Evolved author claim that his mod works best with Deadly Combat when both change the same stuff? :?

Combat Evolved (AFAIK) doesn't really change AI, it just alters a few values that the actual AI takes into consideration for the decision making process.

Anyway, point is there are SEVERAL settings and values in combat, and none of those mods changes them all: if you use them together, a few changes will stack on top of each other, a few will "work together", and a few will be simply overwritten.
Combining mods really is an art at this point, but consider that:
- Deadly Combat + ACE + ASIS is a well proven combo by now
- Combat Evolved was made by the author specifically with the other combat mods in mind. I might not remember the specifics but I clearly remember from reading one of his posts in the forum that my setting was perfect for his mod, I'm pretty sure he uses Deadly Combat himself.

Also, in the end you judge the results.
I have now a game where I can do quick work of most enemies if I play well and focused, but where the fights remain "realistic".
I can be killed in two or even just one blow if I have light armor and don't block effectively. When I'm surrounded it's usually over as I get hit from all sides and can't react. I have to be VERY mindful of archers. Every foe has the potential of being very, VERY dangerous if met under the wrong conditions. You have to stay on your toes, underestimating a foe or the effects of being "swarmed", even by weak enemies, will often prove to be a deadly mistake.
Also, deleveler.
It all feels very visceral and actually, almost "believable".

EDIT:
My installation has, of course, been "fine-tuned" over time. I don't remember every detail, but before putting another item in, the relevant research was always made. For instance, I chose Combat Evolved - Core as the full version probably conflicts with Stealth Rebalancing and maybe something else.
Full load order (this obviously doens't include non-esp tweaks, but that shouldn't change much):
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - No Homes - Full Version.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
Nchuzzrezar.esm
SPIKE.esm
Xvision Children.esm
Xvision Children - Complete.esp
Brawl Bugs CE.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Chesko_Frostfall.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Sound.esp
fantasy music overhaul.esp
TradeBarter.esp
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
BabettesFeastBalanced.esp
BooksBooksBooks.esp
ClamsDropPearls.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
ExpandedJewelryCrafting.esp
High Level Enemies.esp
High Level Enemies - Dawnguard.esp
High Level Enemies - Dragonborn.esp
UnlimitedBookshelves.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp
Smelter_Riften & Solitude.esp
Traps Are Dangerous.esp
WetandCold.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp
Footprints.esp
SkyUI.esp
Cloaks.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp
LeftHandRings.esp
Dr_Bandolier.esp
ASIS-Encounter Zones.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
Smithing Perks Overhaul_Remade.esp
CCO_SIC_Patch.esp
CCO_Frostfall_Patch.esp
DeadlyDragons.esp
DeadlyDragonsArmory.esp
Breezehome_Fully_Upgradable.esp
Inconsequential NPCs.esp
Nchuzzrezar.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ammo.esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Books.esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Food (Normal Weight).esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ingredients.esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Miscellaneous.esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Potions (Normal Weight).esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Soul Gems (Ranked).esp
Headbomb's Better Sorting - Spells.esp
DFB - Carry Weight Per Stamina - 02.esp
Encryption - DoF.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Headtracking.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
dD-No Screen Blood.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-VanillaNights-Lvl-4.esp
SaturationBoost.esp
SkyRealism - Time and Travel.esp
SkyRealism - Encumbrance.esp
DVA - Dynamic Vampire Appearance.esp
Better Vampires.esp
ACE Realistic Fighting.esp
DeadlyCombat.esp
EmpoweredMagic.esp
EmpoweredMagic_Dawnguard.esp
EmpoweredMagic_Dragonborn.esp
FormsEdit.esp
Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp
DragonCombatOverhaulDragonborn.esp
The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp
Morrowloot.esp
ACE Archery.esp
ACE Archery Dragonborn.esp
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
LoreFriendlyArtifactRebalance.esp
Combat Evolved - Core.esp
Stealth Skills Rebalanced_COMPLETE.esp
ACE Armor.esp
SSR_ACEArmor_Patch.esp
ACE Enchanting.esp
ACE Magic.esp
ACE Melee.esp
ACE Synergy.esp
SpeechTree.esp
3DNPC.esp
RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp
RND+EncumbranceTweaks.esp
RND_BabettesFeast-Patch.esp
EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp
EMViljaInSolstheimAddOn.esp
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
My Home Is Your Home.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
RealShelter.esp
Waves.esp
Xvision Children - USKP.esp
Xvision Children - 3DNPC.esp
Xvision Children - IncNPCs.esp
ASIS-Dependency.esp
ASIS.esp
DeadlyCombat_ASIS_Patch.esp
EnchantedMiscNecklaceChance.esp

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Something like this might work, yes. Also it would be doable without big changes to the MQ. They would still need to come up with a good story, of course.

Btw. I checked bashing of locks.
It works, kinda, as it's limited to normal chests, not the radiant quest stuff chests. Bummer.
You can bash most things. Make sure to look away and at the object afterwards for GUI to update.
Also make sure that you're at full health and stamina.
Finally, lock level matters - the better lock, the harder to break and the more demanding for your physical stats it is.

In the end, if it looks like something you could expect to crack with a melee weapon and human range strength you probably can (unless it says "key required").

Stuff you can't handle can sometimes be opened by a follower if you order them to do so. It's a bit 'sploitish, but unreliable enough (they don't seem to do doors and can sometimes fail to reach chests) to make security skill a worthwhile investment especially if you intend to do a lot of thieving, rather than just crack open some dungeon chests.

Gord

Arcane
You can bash most things. Make sure to look away and at the object afterwards for GUI to update.

I looked around a bit, you can bash up to Adept level locks, which would be enough. For that you need 550 < (2*health+stamina), if the formula is correct.
A value my char surpasses easily (and I managed to break an adept-locked wooden door).
Apparently bashing locks is limited to "wooden" doors and chests though, and I guess that the quest chest are considered metal for the purpose of bashing.
So one can either wait until reaching 50 in lockpicking and take the 2nd perk, or turn off the perk restriction in MCM.
Not sure what I'll do in the long run. For now I've decided to wait and train lockpicking a bit, but it's already pretty expensive, so yeah...

DraQ

Arcane

I looked around a bit, you can bash up to Adept level locks, which would be enough. For that you need 550 < (2*health+stamina), if the formula is correct.
A value my char surpasses easily (and I managed to break an adept-locked wooden door).
Apparently bashing locks is limited to "wooden" doors and chests though, and I guess that the quest chest are considered metal for the purpose of bashing.
So one can either wait until reaching 50 in lockpicking and take the 2nd perk, or turn off the perk restriction in MCM.
Not sure what I'll do in the long run. For now I've decided to wait and train lockpicking a bit, but it's already pretty expensive, so yeah...
Followers should be able to handle those chests.

Sykar

Arcane
Can someone recommend a mod for the mage guild? Something which expands on the quest series maybe to make it less derpy and maybe not make myself Archmage, which I find ridiculous going from 0 to hero in a matter of 2 hours and having only novice level magical skills.

Luzur

Good Sir

When i tried Requiem that dungeon had around 15 Draugr + the guy popping out of the casket in the last room with the shoutwall.

I was forced to retreat and go hire a mercenary and even then i had to TGM after he died pressed into a corner by 5 of them while i was hiding on top of a rock i managed to climb up on.

DraQ

Arcane

When i tried Requiem that dungeon had around 15 Draugr + the guy popping out of the casket in the last room with the shoutwall.

I was forced to retreat and go hire a mercenary and even then i had to TGM after he died pressed into a corner by 5 of them while i was hiding on top of a rock i managed to climb up on.
That's Requiem's friendly and gentle way of telling you that you're definitely not ready for dragons.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pfff... draugrs are easy.

If you are level 15+ and have a good, magical, silver weapon. Actually, anyone with a silver weapon can kill those, but it will take more time. Of course, getting a silver weapon in that area seems impossible.

Btw.. is there any way of keeping stolen horses? Mine always run back to wherever I stole them from. Even if I rescued them from a bunch of bandits. Ungrateful beasts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom