Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pfff... draugrs are easy.

If you are level 15+ and have a good, magical, silver weapon. Actually, anyone with a silver weapon can kill those, but it will take more time. Of course, getting a silver weapon in that area seems impossible.

Btw.. is there any way of keeping stolen horses? Mine always run back to wherever I stole them from. Even if I rescued them from a bunch of bandits. Ungrateful beasts.
Nope, stolen horses run away. There are a few quests to pick up horses though, should you want to.

Also Wuuthrad works well against draugr.

DraQ

Arcane
Pfff... draugrs are easy.

If you are level 15+ and have a good, magical, silver weapon. Actually, anyone with a silver weapon can kill those, but it will take more time. Of course, getting a silver weapon in that area seems impossible.
If you're 1h you can get a silver katana in BFB.

1h+heavy+shield build actually has semi-decent prospects of being able to get through BFB right after Helgen (of course the final room will still be hard as nails, and the big spider encounter may provide much joy too).

DraQ

Arcane
Also Wuuthrad works well against draugr.
"fuck subtlety"
Damn straight.
PC: *brandishes massive, frost enchanted, definitely non-silver axe*
Draugr: "Ha! Cold does shit against me, swords work better than axes and you'd need silver one for max effectiveness anyway!"
PC: "Does it fucking matter?"
Draugr: "No. :(" *gets split down the middle making unhealthy noises*

Luzur

Good Sir
2) oh god what's up with Bleak Falls Barrow

When i tried Requiem that dungeon had around 15 Draugr + the guy popping out of the casket in the last room with the shoutwall.

I was forced to retreat and go hire a mercenary and even then i had to TGM after he died pressed into a corner by 5 of them while i was hiding on top of a rock i managed to climb up on.
That's Requiem's friendly and gentle way of telling you that you're definitely not ready for dragons.

i was fresh out of Helgen and i kinda thought that the claw quest from the shop in town was still OK for lvl 2 chars...

Well, the claw quest only involves fighting the bandits, up until the guy stuck on the spider web. If you go ahead and fight the draugr for the plate you're already doing the main quest and the gloves are off.

:troll:

Problem is that the Riverwood claw quest mingles with the main quest (to get you to explore BFB - pointless since the jarl and the court wizard already explain how to get there anyway). They should have done it so you stumble on the locked door and have to get out of the dungeon to find the claw, with a clue about the original owner so you can give it back to him later, in case you missed the general store on your first pass through Riverwood. Maybe a note from the rest of the bandits telling their buddies at BFB that the place is full of horrible shit like giant spiders and zombie moans coming from the other side of that big door so they're moving their loot to a new hideout at the mine near Riverwood (a banal radiant quest location). I don't see the point of a locked door if you're certain to have the key when you reach it.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
i was fresh out of Helgen and i kinda thought that the claw quest from the shop in town was still OK for lvl 2 chars...

Haha... no.

It's one of the big problems of Requiem. Skyrim's got very little content that is really meant to be high(-ish) level, and the main quest in particular is supposed to be accessible right from the start, whereas Requiem transforms dragons into mid-to-high level content and consequently drags the main quest along. Now one can (rightfully) argue that dragons should be high level content and it's Bethesda that fucked up that part. Nevertheless Requiem is trying to transform Skyrim into something it can not (always) be so easily.
For Requiem to really work, much of the MQ would probably have to be reworked, which is why it falls apart a bit in situations as these.
It's not limited to the main quest, either. Requiem somewhat randomly places arbitrary barriers on many other side and faction quests, as well. Sometimes deliberately, at other times it's a result of the changes Requiem does to the game mechanics.
This is not really important if all you want to do is some dungeon diving and hiking, without caring too much about quests and stuff. If you however need some (shallow) motivation for your hiking through Skyrim it can get a bit frustrating that you can't continue or finish yet another quest because a locked chest of some low-ish level bandit boss absolutely requires 50+ lockpicking or you simply won't be able to take on a certain enemy until much much later.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Haha... no.

It's one of the big problems of Requiem. Skyrim's got very little content that is really meant to be high(-ish) level, and the main quest in particular is supposed to be accessible right from the start, whereas Requiem transforms dragons into mid-to-high level content and consequently drags the main quest along. Now one can (rightfully) argue that dragons should be high level content and it's Bethesda that fucked up that part. Nevertheless Requiem is trying to transform Skyrim into something it can not (always) be so easily.
For Requiem to really work, much of the MQ would probably have to be reworked, which is why it falls apart a bit in situations as these.
It's not limited to the main quest, either. Requiem somewhat randomly places arbitrary barriers on many other side and faction quests, as well. Sometimes deliberately, at other times it's a result of the changes Requiem does to the game mechanics.
This is not really important if all you want to do is some dungeon diving and hiking, without caring too much about quests and stuff. If you however need some (shallow) motivation for your hiking through Skyrim it can get a bit frustrating that you can't continue or finish yet another quest because a locked chest of some low-ish level bandit boss absolutely requires 50+ lockpicking or you simply won't be able to take on a certain enemy until much much later.
Could always ask your companion to unlock it for you.

Gord

Arcane

I know, it's like the thing DraQ mentioned. Didn't work for Amun-La (from Interesting NPCs), maybe if I come across some thief companion.
Or does it generally work with vanilla companions?

hell bovine

Arcane
They really should've replced the last pop-up guy with a DP.
As final "are you sure?" before succumbing to a dragon dong.
Default Requiem dragons are much weaker than dragon priests, though, so by the time you'd get through the barrows the lizards would be too easy.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

I know, it's like the thing DraQ mentioned. Didn't work for Amun-La (from Interesting NPCs), maybe if I come across some thief companion.
Haven't had much problems with Lydia in this respect and I'm not using any mod other than Requiem.

There MAY be limits to what locks they can open, AND their pathfinding should be able to reach the lock though.

DraQ

Arcane
Well, the claw quest only involves fighting the bandits, up until the guy stuck on the spider web.
That's part of the problem - you can't really turn this quest in until you finish the beginning of the MQ.

Problem is that the Riverwood claw quest mingles with the main quest (to get you to explore BFB - pointless since the jarl and the court wizard already explain how to get there anyway).
In itself it isn't bad, because it allows some minor flexibility to the questline (reflected by the dialogue too), the problem is that the MQ starts fast and relatively urgent, then ramps up to dragons almost right away, whereas in any semi-hardocre mechanics "dragons" is a very good answer to the "what would you rather not fight at low to mid levels?" question.

This also means there are few opportunities to insert any sort of delays into the MQ before it goes full epic.

Default Requiem dragons are much weaker than dragon priests, though, so by the time you'd get through the barrows the lizards would be too easy.

That's a problem with both. DPs should be substantially wussier than dragons, though they might be well suited for raping player in the closed halls and corridors of their tombs.
In this particular case it should be somewhat wussy DP preceding a somewhat wussy dragon.

Should work with all companions. They don't seem to be in any way restricted as long as they are willing to do so (doesn't conflict with their morality) and can find path to target.
Doesn't work for doors in Requiem.

Anum-La is p. cool, BTW.

Gord

Arcane
That's a problem with both. DPs should be substantially wussier than dragons, though they might be well suited for raping player in the closed halls and corridors of their tombs.
In this particular case it should be somewhat wussy DP preceding a somewhat wussy dragon.

You can't make them too wussy though, or you'll just delay the issue by one quest stage.
You make them too strong and you keep the status quo.
The underlying problem is obviously Bethesda designing that aspect of the story in a retarded way, but Requiem trades one problem for another.

Doesn't work for doors in Requiem.
Maybe that's why I though it doesn't work with Anum-La. Will check again...

IS that that woman who wants revenge for her husband who died in the Great War? i did that quest last night.

Nah, Anum-La is an Argonian ex-mercenary from Interesting NPCs you can have as companion. Her quest revolves around why her old company disbanded.
She has pretty good voice-acting and her lines are far less cringy than e.g. Zora Fairchild's.

Emily

Arcane
the whole problem is dragons should not be doable by a solo fighter unless he is a demigod. Realistically we are speaking about a flying lizard that is a magical creature and can breathe fire. It is reasonable to expect at least 100 experienced warrior in order to tackle him.

Luzur

Good Sir
the whole problem is dragons should not be doable by a solo fighter unless he is a demigod. Realistically we are speaking about a flying lizard that is a magical creature and can breathe fire. It is reasonable to expect at least 100 experienced warrior in order to tackle him.

normally, you need alot of archers or a couple of ballistas with an experienced crew and alot of luck to take down a dragon, but this is a Bethesda game.

Nah, Anum-La is an Argonian ex-mercenary from Interesting NPCs you can have as companion. Her quest revolves around why her old company disbanded.
She has pretty good voice-acting and her lines are far less cringy than e.g. Zora Fairchild's.

I like Zora, though her praise sounds like emasculating sarcasm since she kills things way faster than I do :(

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
Sorry if this was mentioned before (seriously, who has the time to read 100+ pages) but does anyone else think that parts of requiem are incredibly unbalanced?

• There are like a 100 draugrs in the Bleak Falls Barrow main chamber. This happens in other places as well like Skuldafn.
  • Bows are pretty much useless.
  • In the final fight against Alduin, he uses a shout that summons an entire skeleton army that shouts me to death in seconds and halves my health at the same time. Oh, and you're also blinded for a few seconds after the shout.
  • When exploring the Soul Cairn, there are 'invisible entites' that one shots you into oblivion. Real immersion breaker imo.
  • Dragons are pussies compared to Dragon Priests.
  • Taking away the ability to pick high level locks with a low skill doesn't really work, cause it effectively locks you out of certain quests.
  • In Dragonborn DLC, there are some Daedric enemies (I forget their names) that have super high health and regeneration. Almost impossible to kill so I had to use cheats. It's also part of the main quest.
  • This is probably a bug- if you want to become a vampire lord (the first time) it actually damages you for 1600 points so it's impossible to get through it without god mode.
Can't think of anything else at the moment. I know it's meant to be hard but the author should've balanced these issues (unless he already has cause I've yet to try the latest version). On an unrelated note, how is permA?

roll-a-die

Magister
Sorry if this was mentioned before (seriously, who has the time to read 100+ pages) but does anyone else think that parts of requiem are incredibly unbalanced?

• There are like a 100 draugrs in the Bleak Falls Barrow main chamber. This happens in other places as well like Skuldafn.
  • Bows are pretty much useless.
  • In the final fight against Alduin, he uses a shout that summons an entire skeleton army that shouts me to death in seconds and halves my health at the same time. Oh, and you're also blinded for a few seconds after the shout.
  • When exploring the Soul Cairn, there are 'invisible entites' that one shots you into oblivion. Real immersion breaker imo.
  • Dragons are pussies compared to Dragon Priests.
  • Taking away the ability to pick high level locks with a low skill doesn't really work, cause it effectively locks you out of certain quests.
  • In Dragonborn DLC, there are some Daedric enemies (I forget their names) that have super high health and regeneration. Almost impossible to kill so I had to use cheats. It's also part of the main quest.
  • This is probably a bug- if you want to become a vampire lord (the first time) it actually damages you for 1600 points so it's impossible to get through it without god mode.
Can't think of anything else at the moment. I know it's meant to be hard but the author should've balanced these issues (unless he already has cause I've yet to try the latest version). On an unrelated note, how is permA?
PerMa is interesting, it doesn't change as much as requiem, and is designed to be almost purely a perk overhaul. And it does that, eh, moderately well.

DraQ

Arcane
First question is "does it even *try* to be balanced?".
That's kind of important.
There are like a 100 draugrs in the Bleak Falls Barrow main chamber. This happens in other places as well like Skuldafn.
Yeah, so?
Bows are pretty much useless.
That's interdasting. Because I've seen about equal amount of claims to the contrary, which all in all seems to indicate that they are actually well balanced but situational - as they should be.
When exploring the Soul Cairn, there are 'invisible entites' that one shots you into oblivion. Real immersion breaker imo.
Agreed, IEs are incredibly shit. Worse, they are actually a glorified bug/placeholder - they were basically supposed to be Xivilai but the author couldn't find suitable model. They aren't even invisible in terms of game mechanics - NPCs see them just fine.
All in all they are sufficient reason to get Requiem+.
Dragons are pussies compared to Dragon Priests.
A legitimate problem and a reason why I override Requiem's dragons with Mighty Dragons (nightmare, unleveled).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom